• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Heritage" DMUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPM

Established Member
Does anybody definitively know the origin of the term "Heritage DMU" as used to describe the first generation DMU fleet? I seem to recall first hearing it in the early 1990s and I have a hunch it originated from within BR rather than from the enthusiast community. Can anyone recall any better than me?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Looking on wikipedia around 1990 the 2nd generation units were being built maybe it was a publicity thing by BR to differentiate between 1st and 2nd generation DMUs for the general public

RPM

Established Member
Personally, I prefer the term "Bog Unit" but that seems to have fallen out of use. ;)

Shame "bog unit" has gone out of use. I liked that too. My dad used to refer to Southern Region EMUs as "greenslime". I wonder if that was his own term or if it was in general use? (at risk of taking my own thread off at a tangent :roll:)

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The first time I heard it in a railway context was when Amtrak used it to describe the rolling stock they inherited from the private companies, 1950s/60s classic American stock still in day-to-day use in the 90s and much of it probably still today.

IIRC, it was around the time of the selective 101, 117 and 122 refurbishment programme under Regional Railways.

David Barrett

The first time I heard it in a railway context was when Amtrak used it to describe the rolling stock they inherited from the private companies, 1950s/60s classic American stock still in day-to-day use in the 90s and much of it probably still today.

Whilst my memory of this is related to an article on Canada where older rolling stock was being referred to as heritage, from around 1990, I would tend to think that, from both of our observations, the term is an import from across the Atlantic.

A couple of years later a colleague of mine remarked about the term being used over here with some degree of puzzlement and in the end we concluded that it was just a kinder and more PC way of defining what had become, in a British context, a problem which railway managers wished would just go away.

beano900

A Pacer must now qualify as Heritage! I was on one yesterday and it reminded me of trips up the Durham Coast in the 80's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

racyrich

In IT we'd call it 'legacy'. Heritage or legacy - polite euphemisms for clapped out and verging on unmaintainable.

Status
Not open for further replies.