• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hexham, where has all the freight gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartmoss

Had a couple of hours on Hexham station this aft, saw the usual spam cans, including a scot rail, and was delighted to see the network rail yellow inter city 125, but in the whole 2 hours I didn't see any freight. Last year there was at least 1 in each direction per hour. Has it died a death or is Monday a bad day?and if so, does anyone know why?

I took some nice video footage which I will upload next week when I get home.

Stu.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tugzrule

Today was quite a bad day for freight (I was at Carlisle). There was very few coal all day but a few Network Rail trains. Surprised you did not see the 37's on the flasks from Seaton-Sellafield

same story with freight at Patchway today 14.39 to 15.35. nothing. there was a network rail auto balaster around East Usk yard with top and tail 66. one or two steel workings thru Newport 4pm to 5.30pm but nothing else. slow all round today. saw more locomotives on the Cardiff loco hauled passenger services than freight locos which is quite a statement!

Established Member
but in the whole 2 hours I didn't see any freight. Last year there was at least 1 in each direction per hour. Has it died a death or is Monday a bad day?and if so, does anyone know why?

Hit and miss I'm afraid, probably would have been better trying Newcastle or Middlesbrough. There is a Yahoo gen group for the NE area that usually has some good info on.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Could the Network Rail Workings be replacing some of the Freight for today so they could do the Track Testing etc...???

stuartmoss

Went back today for 90 mins, just saw one Freightliner 66599 coal train heading towards Carlisle, this was at 13:40 which was the same time that the 125 went through yesterday, so that must be a freight pathway between the passenger services. Nothing going towards Newcastle though.

Status
Not open for further replies.