• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heysham Harbour: Passenger Closure and Reopening Dates

MadMac

This thread prompted me to throw this one out for discussion.

Everything I’ve seen indicates that services were withdrawn in 1975 and reinstated in 1987. A couple of pictures have popped up on Railcar showing scheduled services operating between those dates, the liveries supporting that. There’s nothing on Six Bells suggesting any tours running there in that period. Did some sort of service operate, contrary to the info out there?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Magdalia

Established Member

Everything I’ve seen indicates that services were withdrawn in 1975 and reinstated in 1987. A couple of pictures have popped up on Railcar showing scheduled services operating between those dates, the liveries supporting that. There’s nothing on Six Bells suggesting any tours running there in that period. Did some sort of service operate, contrary to the info out there?
The 1975 date relates to the end of the Belfast Boat Express in 1975. There is an article, with pictures, in Railway Magazine July 1975.

The loco hauled boat trains end in April 1975 but I have a vague recollection that the trains continued to run with DMUs until the May 1975 timetable change.

Six Bells has a railtour in April 1988.

9th April 1988

Pathfinder Tours
The Morecambe Bay Marauder

Locos Used31200, 31202, 31324, 37059, 37426 & 47553

randyrippley

Established Member

I'd question the dates given for those photos, the documentation of them is very tenuous. To me the photos seem more likely to be post-1987.
Rail passenger services at Heysham ended with the withdrawal of the Belfast passenger services in 1975. Manx Line didn't start services to Douglas until 1978 and there was no reinstatement of rail services, even after Manx Line went bust and was rescued by Sealink (Sealink owning the harbour). Later Sealink became part of Sea Containers, which amalgamated Sealink-Manx Line with the Isle-of-Man Steam Packet around 1985. That amalgamation resulted in the cessation of regular Liverpool sailings to the island. In an attempt to improve connections the "new" combined Steam Packet (possibly with finance from Sea Containers) paid a substantial sum to BR to "upgrade" the signalling on the Heysham branch - which was claimed in the local press at the time to be unsafe for passenger use. Trains to the harbour then restarted in 1987. The press reports were quite specific as to how long the service gap had been.
Unfortunately there's little in the photos to date them, as the stretch of dual track they're on was the last bit to get singled, in 1994. The white/silver roofs on some of the DMU cars certainly indicate a later, rather than earlier date. Also in one photo the headboard reads Preston, which matches the post-1987 service pattern.

for anyone interested these are the relevant photos. Three images all with the same 8-car set, first two at Heysham Moss, third at the harbour. The third photo does have a purported date and headcode, can anyone look that up?

Last edited:

Magdalia

Established Member
The following is copied from Railway Observer October 1981.

The Morecambe-Heysham Harbour branch has recently seen some unusual activity. Following a rail tour on 18th April with 40120 and 40163 at front and rear from Morecambe to Heysham Harbour station, several d.m.u. specials have run to connect with the Manx Viking sailing to the Isle of Man. The Harbour box is boarded up and out of use and the line operated as an O.E.S. goods branch from Heysham Moss siding, meaning that all points at the harbour must be clamped and locked when passenger trains make their way into the decaying station.

On 5th Jluy the stock of a day-cruise special from Nelson was used to form a 12.30 special day excursion from Heysham to York returning for the night sailing before returning to Nelson. Specials from East Lancs. stations ran also on 3rd and 7th July for the night sailing and a d.m.u special was booked to run as 1P90 12.15 SO Heysham-Accrington relief service between 11th July and 1st August; this was most unusually worked by Allerton unit M51884+59720+51859 on 25th July.

The 18 April 1981 railtour is on Six Bells Junction here.

18th April 1981

Hertfordshire Railtours
The Shoulder of Lune

Locos Used31192 (1), 40120, 40163, 81018 & 86210
Stock Used35478+16236+25800+16182+4920+1711+25610+25806

Route : 1Z71 throughout

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Hurst’s Register gives closure to passengers as 06.10.1975.
Martin Bairstow's "The Little North Western Railway" (Amadeus Press - 2018 book) states that the closure of Heysham station was on 04OCT1975 (which was a Saturday, so possibly the last day of service) with re-opening on (Monday) 11MAY1987.

Gloster

Established Member
Martin Bairstow's "The Little North Western Railway" (Amadeus Press - 2018 book) states that the closure of Heysham station was on 04OCT1975 (which was a Saturday, so possibly the last day of service) with re-opening on (Monday) 11MAY1987.

The same reopening date is given in BR in the Eighties (Thomas and Whitehouse), a book that appears to have been produced with BR’s cooperation.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The same reopening date is given in BR in the Eighties (Thomas and Whitehouse), a book that appears to have been produced with BR’s cooperation.
The re-opening date of Monday 11th May 1987 is confirmed in the local "Morecambe Visitor" newspaper report published on the Wednesday that very same week.

See link below...

Extract...
Heysham rail link restored
HEYSHAM station saw its first rail passengers for nearly 12 years with the re-opening of the link between train and Harbour on Monday.

randyrippley

Established Member
The re-opening date of Monday 11th May 1987 is confirmed in the local "Morecambe Visitor" newspaper report published on the Wednesday that very same week.
Gave them a week to get things right before the TT started: would have been the last two weeks in May back then