• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Impact of COVID 19 on drivers - Advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayerOne

Good morning,

First time post on here, and I apologise if this question has already been answered numerous times. I have researched but can only find vague answers to the questions I have.

I have applied and been successful for a TOC passing the assessment stage and now awaiting a DMI.

My current employment is secure when you take into account the current climate with COVID 19 and I am wondering how being a train driver compares ? It would be great to hear from drivers (new/experienced) as well as those who may be in training. I understand some TOC furloughed the trainees during the pandemic but are now back training ? In essence, what I’m trying to determine is if train driving will be adversely affected by COVID 19 now and post pandemic, due to companies and employees leaning more towards the remote working ? Is London going to be a shadow of its former self office worker wise ?!

I have a young family, mortgage etc, and if successful really want to pursue a career as a train driver, but would like a balanced view from the guys and girls who are already employed in the industry. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.