• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Independent Operators in the Lothians

Bedford OB

The number of independant bus operators in the Lothians does seem to be ever decreasing, what with Eve now bought by Lothian only months after Horsburgh stopped operating public bus services. While many companies operate routes into the Lothians, I believe there are only 4 independent operators based in the area who still run public services; SD Travel, Prentice Westwood, Edinburgh Coach Lines and Prenctice of Haddington. (I'm not counting Waverley Travel, the RBS shuttle isn't a public service).
It does seem like the trend is going to contiue, and currently only Prentice of Haddington and SD Travel have significant networks of bus routes.

Can't be sure on the exact number, but even 10 years ago there were quite a few more independants in the area.
It's nearly that bad, but you have missed out HcL, which has a number of registered services, some on permits, and Prentice Westwood. Strictly speaking, Festival Travel are also based (HQ) in Lothian, but their registered services all operate from the Fife depot.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

roadierway77

The number of independant bus operators in the Lothians does seem to be ever decreasing, what with Eve now bought by Lothian only months after Horsburgh stopped operating public bus services. While many companies operate routes into the Lothians, I believe there are only 4 independent operators based in the area who still run public services; SD Travel, Prentice Westwood, Edinburgh Coach Lines and Prenctice of Haddington. (I'm not counting Waverley Travel, the RBS shuttle isn't a public service).
It does seem like the trend is going to contiue, and currently only Prentice of Haddington and SD Travel have significant networks of bus routes.

Can't be sure on the exact number, but even 10 years ago there were quite a few more independants in the area.
There's also the community bus operators HcL and Lothian Community Transport.

Lothian dominates the urban areas of the Lothians where it is easiest to operate profitable bus services. The rest of the region is rural and I don't believe it's a coincidence that three of the four remaining independents primarily operate council tenders, and even Prentice of Haddington has a large proportion of subsidised services. Lothian is such a large operator in the region that it's essentially impossible for the smaller companies to compete and there are very few potential revenue streams that Lothian hasn't already taken advantage of. This along with declining bus patronage are likely the major factors contributing to the decline of independent operators in the Lothians. It is a shame to see smaller companies disappear but at the same time, their absorption into or replacement by Lothian Buses does bring about benefits for the passenger, such as improved real-time information and reliability, along with better value for money in terms of tickets.

Porty

On a unrelated note it's been almost a month since the 111 changes, anyone notice if the changes have been beneficial for folk going to Fort Kinnaird and the Royal?
I don't think anyone else has commented but I see there was a service change on 8th Jan with the 111 going via Fort Kinnaird in the middle* of the day. Presumably passenger numbers were healthy enough to bring in a change of route.

*Departs Musselburgh High St between 0953 and 1613, and departs Royal between 1010 and 1710.

Earlier and later 111A services, and 3 or 4 services in the middle of the day (M-F only), operate directly via Stoneybank and Monktonhall and missing out Fort Kinnaird.

I don't know what the service level and numbering was before last summer? Is the 111A daytime service effectively a renumbered and truncated service from before? The 3 or 4 daytime ones don't go further east than Musselburgh High Street.

Hello, got a sort of random question. I've recently found myself rediscovering a memory I didn't know I had of blue and silver MCW Metrobus's running to and from Dalkeith campus as school buses and just wondered if anyone knew what company these were running with?

Bedford OB

Hello, got a sort of random question. I've recently found myself rediscovering a memory I didn't know I had of blue and silver MCW Metrobus's running to and from Dalkeith campus as school buses and just wondered if anyone knew what company these were running with?
Allans of Gorebridge had two ex London Metrobuses, OJD817Y and 871Y, formerly M817 and M871. Acquired in early 2001, the rist kept for two years, the second for 16 months.

Allans of Gorebridge had two ex London Metrobuses, OJD817Y and 871Y, formerly M817 and M871. Acquired in early 2001, the rist kept for two years, the second for 16 months.
Can't have been one of these. I believe the ones I remember were running around in the old Travel West Midlands livery, certainly a livery that looked very similar to it if not. Cheers for the response anyway