• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Info request: ticket Havant to Shoreditch High St?

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Hoping for wise advice, before I try a SWR ticket office later this month:

My wife has a work meeting in Shoreditch and she'll need to be there for 10am start. We live on the coast - Havant is the nearest principle station she'll use for London.
Looks like SWR Havant-Waterloo, then the Jubilee to Canada Water, then Overground to Shoreditch High Street.

It's been 12 years since I lived and worked in London, so I'm unfamiliar with ticketing arrangements these days. Is a "SWR+TfL" ticket option - covering the whole journey - purchasable? Or will she need to buy the TfL element separately?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gaelan

An anytime day return from Havant to Shoreditch High Street - which would cover the whole journey - is £91.20. So that's the most straightforward option, albeit not exactly a cheap one.

For £82.40, you could get a Travelcard with route restriction "Three Bridges" - this would cover the whole journey (and in fact any travel within TfL zones 1-6), but it'd obligate you to travel via Victoria instead of Waterloo, which is a little slower (looks like it'd mean getting the 07:20 out of Havant rather than the 07:32).

If you're OK with the Three Bridges restriction, you could also get slightly cheaper by ditching the travelcard and buying an Anytime Day Return from Havant to Victoria via Three Bridges. From Victoria, you'd pay TfL directly - no need for tickets, just tap a contactless bank card (or an Oyster card, if you prefer - no advantage to an Oyster card unless you've got a railcard) on the fare gates. This comes out to £80.30 total, £73.50 for the National Rail ticket plus two £3.40 TfL peak fares.

To get cheaper than that, you're looking at either advance tickets, or splitting your tickets outside London; TrainSplit finds pretty good prices for both, ballpark around £40 with advances or £60 with split flexible tickets (looks like the trick is splitting at Godalming).

paul1609

Established Member
If you're OK with the Three Bridges restriction, you could also get slightly cheaper by ditching the travelcard and buying an Anytime Day Return from Havant to Victoria via Three Bridges. From Victoria, you'd pay TfL directly - no need for tickets, just tap a contactless bank card (or an Oyster card, if you prefer - no advantage to an Oyster card unless you've got a railcard) on the fare gates. This comes out to £80.30 total, £73.50 for the National Rail ticket plus two £3.40 TfL peak fares.
Or buy a Havant to London Thameslink ticket route Three Bridges ADR £73.50, change at East Croydon for Farringdon.
At Farringdon use contactless to Shoreditch as above.

akm

Given the journey isn't till 'later this month', personally I'd be looking for an Advance from Havant to Waterloo in the morning, then contactless/oyster in London, then an super off peak single back.

For example, on Tuesday 23rd April (picked at random), the HAV-WAT 07:23 (arriving 08:55, plenty of time to get to Shoreditch for 10am) currently has advances available at just £22.50 (the train 20 minutes before at just £21). This, plus the 6.80 return journey on contactless/oyster, plus the £35.20 super off peak single to come back to Havant, comes to just £64.50.

Gaelan

For example, on Tuesday 23rd April (picked at random), the HAV-WAT 07:23 (arriving 08:55, plenty of time to get to Shoreditch for 10am) currently has advances available at just £22.50 (the train 20 minutes before at just £21). This, plus the 6.80 return journey on contactless/oyster, plus the £35.20 super off peak single to come back to Havant, comes to just £64.50.
Any reason not to do the Advance + Off-Peak Single combo directly to Shoreditch?

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Thanks all for suggestions. My wife's travel is for work; and, for her 10am meeting in Shoreditch, she can only book 1 ticket through her work's travel portal.

From the above option, it sounds like her simplest and best way is an Anytime Return using SWR (Hav dep 07:32).

akm

Any reason not to do the Advance + Off-Peak Single combo directly to Shoreditch?
Absolutely not, I just didn't suggest that because I didn't think of it :) (probably because I personally have other facilities available in London)

Gathursty

Established Member
Isn't Shoreditch High Street a short walk round the back of Liverpool St Station?

Gathursty

Established Member
Just wondering if a ticket for London Liverpool Street might be more advantageous in time and money than Shoreditch High Street. Have to wait for OP to respond though as to how close their destination is to both.

Ignore Bethnal Green suggestion. Further than I remember.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Thamks all.

The old Shoreditch (East London Line) Station was less than 10 minutes' stroll from Liverpool Street NR Station. I used it when it was still open and ELL running.
Shoreditch High Street station is very close to the premises my wife needs to visit.

My wife's company will cover the cost of ticket; so her criteria are the fastest end to end journey and with the least amount of walk at the Shoreditch end (arthritis limits how far and fast she can walk).

She has no Oyster card - her usual commute from the South Coast, is to Watford or Northampton.
The last time I used TfL's network, for daily travel, was 2012.

Last edited:

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Thamks all.

The old Shoreditch (East London Line) Station was less than 10 minutes' stroll from Liverpool Street NR Station. I used it when it was still open and ELL running.
Shoreditch High Street station is very close to the premises my wife needs to visit.

My wife's company will cover the cost of ticket; so her criteria are the fastest end to end journey and with the least amount of walk at the Shoreditch end (arthritis limits how far and fast she can walk).

She has no Oyster card - her usual commute from the South Coast, is to Watford or Northampton.
The last time I used TfL's network, for daily travel, was 2012.

Understood the desire to head to Shoreditch High Street station re your wife's arthritis. For anyone who is not so encumbered, the walk from Liverpool Street might well make sense - a useful 'back route' to know from Liverpool Street station is to walk up the service road (and old cab road) just next to platform 10 which deposits you on Primrose Street (see Liverpool Street station map) - this is the route for level cycle access to the station (though many people just carry their bike up or down the stairs).

Re no Oyster card - no problem. One big change since 2012 is that you can use your contactless payment (credit/debit) card, or contactless device (e.g. mobile phone, smart watch) just as you would use an Oyster card. See the TfL webpage about contactless payment.