• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

informaion on becoming a train driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

wardreefa

i`ve just joined this forum today to find out some info on becoming a train driver.
for sometime now i`ve been looking for a change in career as i work as a lorry driver in the south.
iam unsure who i need to contact regards to starting a career as a train driver so if anyone could point me in the right direction i would really appriciate so help.

thanks fran

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
There is one website that always seems to be popular when the same question is asked on http://www.railchat.co.uk (a forum consisting of mostly rail staff so is likely to be of interest to you). The link in question is the Railway Register. It's a very long page but contains lots of information that is sure to be of interest to you.

Good luck, and may I be the first to welcome you to the forum! :)

David

Established Member
Welcome to the forum.

O H Leigh did a blog when he was training to be a driver with ONE/NXEA, and can be found here. (Start at the bootom of the page, and work up though.)

driver9000

Established Member
http://www.aslef.org.uk/information/105133/105442/105135/train_driver_recruitment/

details a little of the recruitment and training system in operation. The best thing to do is look at the recruitment pages of your local TOCs, you will have a better chance at being taken on by a passenger operator as freight tends to recruit qualified drivers mostly.

The links that others have posted are excellent sources of information on the world and culture of railwaymen - good luck with whichever path you choose ;)

John H

Welcome to the forum.

O H Leigh did a blog when he was training to be a driver with ONE/NXEA, and can be found here. (Start at the bootom of the page, and work up though.)

He certainly did and it is an essential read for anyone considering a job driving trains. I read it all and decided to go for it, and now i'm awaiting an interview date. :grin:

Nice one - O H Leigh did that blog? He's probably the one to ask then, with most recent training?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
John H, which company have you applied at?

Status
Not open for further replies.