• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

International travellers to require negative PCR test to enter England

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdd89

Established Member
An indirect flight is going to be tricky due to previous complications with Uncle Sam.
Ouch.

If you’re looking at routings via other countries I’d recommend consulting TIMATIC which is the most comprehensive record of all entry requirements and restrictions globally from anywhere to anywhere. It’s accessible here (nothing to do with United Airlines, that’s just one of the portals):

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trackman

Established Member
Ouch.

If you’re looking at routings via other countries I’d recommend consulting TIMATIC which is the most comprehensive record of all entry requirements and restrictions globally from anywhere to anywhere. It’s accessible here (nothing to do with United Airlines, that’s just one of the portals):

The only other one is a flight to Cuba then onto Madrid.
Guess what, flights to Cuba suspended :(
Panama could be an option, but it sounds like a real faff and gave up looking for the route.
ps: that website is throwing a wobbler with me at the moment.

Yew

Established Member
I was wondering how it would work if you leave some remote island with no testing facilities.
A remote island with no testing facilities sounds pretty good to me!

Bikeman78

Established Member

Just announced a few minutes ago. Only England so far, but I would be surprised if the other nations don't follow suit rather quickly.
What happens if the test is positive? How many hotels will be willing to put someone up for 10 days if they have Covid?

kristiang85

Established Member
What happens if the test is positive? How many hotels will be willing to put someone up for 10 days if they have Covid?

It works fine in other countries. And hotels will be happy with the business given they have to shut otherwise.

Yew

Established Member
There's still no evidence that it'll actually make a difference, this seems more about being politically popular than in any way effective.

Cdd89

Established Member
At some point we need to get away from “rapid tests are less reliable than lab based PCR tests” as a reason not to use rapid tests.

An 80% reliable rapid test at an airport is better than a 99.x% reliable PCR test 3 days prior. Not to mention much more convenient.

Gadget88

How do people see this panning out in the summer? I imagine it would be a big logistical challenge to test millions of people to go a summer holiday? Will it be replaced by tests you can do yourself perhaps/no testing ect? It looks like Europe is behind UK with vaccines so I fully expect a test being required to go abroad?

Gadget88

I expect we’ll stop banging rocks together and have airport rapid testing and/or vaccine passports by then.
What about boats and trains they don’t have the infrastructure to mass test. Surely some sort of rapid saliva testing would save time and could be done yourself on arrival?

Bikeman78

Established Member
How do people see this panning out in the summer? I imagine it would be a big logistical challenge to test millions of people to go a summer holiday? Will it be replaced by tests you can do yourself perhaps/no testing ect? It looks like Europe is behind UK with vaccines so I fully expect a test being required to go abroad?
I can see UK holidays being very popular if there are still restrictions on going abroad. Hopefully the full rail sevice to seaside resorts will be restored by then. The overcrowding was bad enough last summer.

island

Veteran Member

Trackman

Established Member
Possibly stating the obvious, but the turnaround on a PCR test is a day or two, so putting it in right away would be rather challenging.
I've been on to the bank as BA have charged me twice (one is pending) but that is now sorted I hope.
I had a chat with the friendly lady and told her the story and mentioned about the PCR tests coming in, she mentioned a lot people are disputing transactions as they did not receive the test results in time as advertised (I assume they are flying abroad) - so beware. She also mentioned someone had to stump up £4k for another flight because of this. So if you are planning a flight in or out, be on your guard. I doubt you'd be able to get insurance for this sort of thing.

Also guess what, the 'cancelled' flight last night actually went ahead. Must have been a fresh air 'positioning move' more than anything. Been on to BA, I should still receive a full cash refund (no vouchers!), if something goes wrong -which it will- I'll start a new thread. Not holding my breath on this one. It's a good job my oven is electric and not gas! ;)

Mugby

Established Member
The introduction of this policy has now been pushed back to 4am Monday 18 January.

Yes, a friend of mine has been holidaying in Cuba with Tui, due to return at the weekend so they all had their tests - and paid £18 for them, only to find out that they weren't necessary after all!

kristiang85

Established Member
Possibly stating the obvious, but the turnaround on a PCR test is a day or two, so putting it in right away would be rather challenging.

Well, in the UK it is - as I said earlier in this thread, the PCRs at Turkish airports take 2hrs (costing £25). I have no idea why us British are so inept at setting this up.

The introduction of this policy has now been pushed back to 4am Monday 18 January.

Yep, more confirmation the government is inept.

I've been on to the bank as BA have charged me twice (one is pending) but that is now sorted I hope.
I had a chat with the friendly lady and told her the story and mentioned about the PCR tests coming in, she mentioned a lot people are disputing transactions as they did not receive the test results in time as advertised (I assume they are flying abroad) - so beware. She also mentioned someone had to stump up £4k for another flight because of this. So if you are planning a flight in or out, be on your guard. I doubt you'd be able to get insurance for this sort of thing.

When I went to Sudan in November, a guy on my trip had paid £240 for a fast-track 24hr PCR. They failed to even get that done on time. But he was immediately refunded when he rang, and he got the £25 one at Istanbul instead.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Who is going to risk going abroad now? If you test positive I assume that means the UK won't let you back in (till such times as you test negative)?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Who is going to risk going abroad now? If you test positive I assume that means the UK won't let you back in (till such times as you test negative)?
Airlines are (supposedly) going to be instructed to refuse you boarding. If you do manage to arrive you would risk a £500 FPN or prosecution, but if a British citizen you couldn't be denied entry at the border.

In practice, if you test positive the intention is that you self isolate before returning.

Trackman

Established Member
What is stop me setting up a PCR testing company in some remote country, charging people and just sending out certificates? How could the airlines check in some dodgy unregulated county?
Not me for certain. Things are changing all the time.

ps:News alert: Starmer calls for delay in pre-flight tests as it is a 'complete mess'

edit:
What is stop me setting up a PCR testing company in some remote country, charging people and just sending out certificates? How could the airlines check in some dodgy unregulated county?

Found out you need Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) registration or ISO 15189 certification for most countries.

Anyway, it all started yesterday at 4am.

Last edited:

Trackman

Established Member
The person who I was helping finally flew home last week.
The crazy thing was BA put on 3 flights at the last minute, the first two were empty as no-one could get a PCR test done in time!
The final one was very busy as everyone had the test done by then.

island

Veteran Member
Under the current regulations, any test is valid to enter the UK as long as it meets certain targets for false positive and false negative rates (under 20% and 3% from memory).

Status
Not open for further replies.