• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is a tight connection possible at Liverpool South Parkway during disruption today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
It sounds like there is consistency, the two minute rule applies whatever. There has probably been stacks of health and safety paperwork written for the arrangements and the staff are obliged to stick to it whatever, if they don't and something goes wrong it could be the member of staffs neck on the line (So to say).

No there is not consistency. I have heard of reported stories and what I have been myself and people being prevented from going onto the platform 2 minutes before when it is really quiet and then it being really crowded and people not being held back at all. This "2 minute rule" is just an assumption that has been made on this thread. Furthermore, no where have Merseyrail published any details about restricting platform access, the circumstances under which they will do such and thus preventing passengers from planning their journey accordingly.

Merseyrail is not London Underground with another train 3 minutes later and, as such, many passengers plan to get a specific service according to the timetable. Also, many passengers are not simply going between Central and South Parkway and have onward (rail and bus) connections from other stations on the Merseyrail network. This lack of disruption, and thus passengers being denied travel on services, is very disruptive.

The other observation I would make is that although their services are busier then usual, all of the Southport line services are running at 6 carriages. Thus this doubles the usual capacity given most services (including some even during rush hour) run as 3 car sets.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fowler9

Established Member
No there is not consistency. I have heard of reported stories and what I have been myself and people being prevented from going onto the platform 2 minutes before when it is really quiet and then it being really crowded and people not being held back at all. This "2 minute rule" is just an assumption that has been made on this thread. Furthermore, no where have Merseyrail published any details about restricting platform access, the circumstances under which they will do such and thus preventing passengers from planning their journey accordingly.

Merseyrail is not London Underground with another train 3 minutes later and, as such, many passengers plan to get a specific service according to the timetable. Also, many passengers are not simply going between Central and South Parkway and have onward (rail and bus) connections from other stations on the Merseyrail network. This lack of disruption, and thus passengers being denied travel on services, is very disruptive.

The other observation I would make is that although their services are busier then usual, all of the Southport line services are running at 6 carriages. Thus this doubles the usual capacity given most services (including some even during rush hour) run as 3 car sets.
Apologies, you are right, just had a scroll through and it seems to have been you that first brought up 2 minutes.

highspeed990

I get you. Apologies for the misunderstanding.
No worries.

So in Liverpool platforms are closed early? Is it for safety reasons? I've never seen this on the London Underground. The only station in London that does something like this is Wembley Central, where certain platforms are kep closed till trains arrive so that people don't get carried away by the wind caused by fast trains.

Established Member
I've noticed a few signs appear on the footbridge now at South Parkway saying 'Doors on Merseyrail services close 30 SECONDS before departure'

Make of that what you will, but they definately were not there when this thread was started...

gray1404

Established Member
I've noticed a few signs appear on the footbridge now at South Parkway saying 'Doors on Merseyrail services close 30 SECONDS before departure'

Make of that what you will, but they definately were not there when this thread was started...

Very interesting. Although, there is a massive difference between closing doors 30 sections before departure and closing platform access a full and excessive 2 minutes before departure (with such a small number of passengers waiting) - perhaps Merseyrail might want to put up publicity about that too.

fowler9

Established Member
Very interesting. Although, there is a massive difference between closing doors 30 sections before departure and closing platform access a full and excessive 2 minutes before departure (with such a small number of passengers waiting) - perhaps Merseyrail might want to put up publicity about that too.
Is that really happening on a regular basis?

gray1404

Established Member
I believe it is from my own experiences this past month, what I have read on here and what other passengers (including 2 off duty rail staff I know) have told me.

fowler9

Established Member
I believe it is from my own experiences this past month, what I have read on here and what other passengers (including 2 off duty rail staff I know) have told me.
I go through at least twice a day and haven't experienced it. I'll ask tomorrow and see what they say.

gray1404

Established Member
I wonder if this two minute closure is more of an issue at Liverpool South Parkway or Liverpool Central? Might be both but it sounds like LPY.

fowler9

Established Member
I wonder if this two minute closure is more of an issue at Liverpool South Parkway or Liverpool Central? Might be both but it sounds like LPY.
I don't know. Like I say it is Parkway I go through every day so I'll try and think on and ask. On the plus side it's only another week ha ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.