• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is it possible to swap/give/sell tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

nedchester

Established Member
I think that whilst the selling/giving away of a ticket is against the NCoC it is in reality very difficult to prove if someone gives away, sells the their ticket to someone else.

If someone sells their ticket on somewhere like Ebay then fine the railway has the right to stop the sale. However, if someone says they cannot use the ticket and gives it to someone else to use there is little, in reality the railway can do.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
I think that whilst the selling/giving away of a ticket is against the NCoC it is in reality very difficult to prove if someone gives away, sells the their ticket to someone else.

If someone sells their ticket on somewhere like Ebay then fine the railway has the right to stop the sale. However, if someone says they cannot use the ticket and gives it to someone else to use there is little, in reality the railway can do.

Indeed, for the same reason I suspect this forum has to be seen to say no but almost everyone will acknowledge it can (and does) happen.

dvboy

Established Member
So the favour I did for a friend yesterday, buying a ticket online for a friend because he couldn't get his card to work, and collecting it for him when I met him in exchange for the cash, was that illegal?

My name was printed on the ticket - which obviously doesn't match his rail card. I assume he got to Peterborough OK.

button_boxer

Established Member
No, that's fine as the intention all along was that the ticket was being bought for the friend even though not by them. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to get the secretary at my work to buy tickets on the company credit card for me to use, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.