• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Island Line Upgrade updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris125

Established Member
Rail Express are reporting that the contract will soon be let - some weekend closures this summer, primarily to address clearances under Smallbrook Lane overbridge (presumably allowing the 484s to be tested), but the bulk of the infrastructure work will follow early next year with a two month blockade.

Chris125

Established Member
It's happening!
Confirmation that the two weekend closures are being used to address gauging issues with the 484s - work is currently underway removing and lowering the northbound/up line under Rink Road bridge in Ryde. They failed to squeeze 03079 through here with it's original cab so not unexpected.

IMG_0340 - Copy.JPG

Edit: Popped by Smallbrook on the following Saturday - couldn't get a decent photo but they've lifted the Down (southbound) line under Smallbrook Lane as expected - this, and the Up line under Rink Road tackled last week, should address what were believed to be the tightest clearances on the line.

Rink Road: IMG_0344 - Copy.JPGIMG_0346 - Copy.JPG

They've completed the gauging works at Smallbrook Lane with some shiny new track on the Down Line

IMG_0361 - Copy.JPGIMG_0362 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:

Chris125

Established Member
They've completed the gauging works at Smallbrook Lane with some shiny new track on the Down Line - after many, many years the footbridge at St Johns is finally looking presentable too.

IMG_0361 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0362 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0363 - Copy.JPG

The tamper is sat on it's delivery trailer at Sandown, so presumably not used yet?

Rob F

Is the passing loop at Brading going ahead? How are they going to manage disabled access to the currently redundant island platform? Also, does anyone know when the loop at Brading was removed?

Journeyman

Established Member
Is the passing loop at Brading going ahead? How are they going to manage disabled access to the currently redundant island platform? Also, does anyone know when the loop at Brading was removed?

It was removed some time in the late eighties, not long before the current trains arrived.

trebor79

Established Member
Not sure how they will arrange my access to the island platform. The footbridge seems to be on its last legs - locked and a notice saying only 1 person at a time to use it when I saw it last month.

Meerkat

Established Member
Not sure how they will arrange my access to the island platform. The footbridge seems to be on its last legs - locked and a notice saying only 1 person at a time to use it when I saw it last month.
I thought had been stated that they were upgrading the footpath crossing at one end to provide access?

trebor79

Established Member
There's a footpath crossing a few hundred metres towards Ryde. But it's a fair walk through an iffy housing estate and I don't think there's enough room on the embankment to put a path in down to the currently disused platform. There might be another at the other end of the station but I didn't see one.

Rick1984

Off the top of my head I think the are crossings both ends. But I'm suprised a foot crossing would be deemed acceptable in this day and age

Meerkat

Established Member
From google satellite view you can clearly see a public footpath crossing right at the southern end of the platforms.
They can lights and locking gates on it if necessary can’t they? There won’t be any non-stop trains rushing through and I am guessing the trains will stop in the middle/north of the platforms so you wouldn’t be crossing immediately behind one out of sight.

DelW

Established Member
I'd suggest that crossing the track at the station would be rather less dangerous than crossing the A3055 on the way there. After all, would anyone worry about crossing a road where the only traffic was a slow-moving bus each way every half hour?

MarkyT

Established Member
They might avoid the problem of access across the tracks by building a Penryn style loop with a split long platform on one side. Something like this:
brading.jpg

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I thought had been stated that they were upgrading the footpath crossing at one end to provide access?
I think you’re right, and that’s the intent of the work listed in post #1?
“A passing loop will be installed at Brading with level access provided by the foot crossing south of the station.”
I reckon people are over-thinking this...

Dougal2345

... it's a fair walk through an iffy housing estate
"Iffy" is a little harsh - unless you find the idea of semi-detached living particularly horrifying, it seemed perfectly pleasant when I walked through it a couple of years ago...

David Goddard

Established Member
They've completed the gauging works at Smallbrook Lane with some shiny new track on the Down Line - after many, many years the footbridge at St Johns is finally looking presentable too.
View attachment 82746
Is it the angle of the photograph or is that footbridge really tall? Seems to have about double the clearance needed for the Island line

cav1975

I presume the excessive height is for signal sighting purposes?
It must be for 25kV electrification..............

Although my comment was meant to be flippant I have a feeling at the back of my mind that there was, at the time, a default rule that overhead electrification clearances had to be provided on new structures.

Last edited:

Rick1984

"Iffy" is a little harsh - unless you find the idea of semi-detached living particularly horrifying, it seemed perfectly pleasant when I walked through it a couple of years ago...
Centrally not a ghetto or as bad as the Pan Estate but I think that bit of Branding does have a bit of a reputation. That is in Island terms though!

Good to see common sense being used with the foot crossing

Chris125

Established Member
Centrally not a ghetto or as bad as the Pan Estate but I think that bit of Branding does have a bit of a reputation. That is in Island terms though!

Brading is hardly Pan, and that's pretty tame by mainland standards if we're honest! It's all relative, and what's regarded as 'rough' on the Island is nothing to be wary of.

Rick1984

Yes very much so. What's "rough" on the Island would be paradise on bits of the mainland!

Graham H

Dumb question perhaps, but am in the Isle of Wight next weekend - there's no maintenance then, right? Haven't seen any evidence of it.
but seems to be on its last legs with just one unit available today (Sunday) on an hourly service. Bank Holiday weekend too, full and standing (zero social distance) on the train I was on so just like the London Underground used to be ! Probably my last trip on these historic units.
Seems to be the same today (BH Monday), just one unit running. Was the same Saturday incidentally.

Last edited:

Egg Centric

but seems to be on its last legs with just one unit available today (Sunday) on an hourly service. Bank Holiday weekend too, full and standing (zero social distance) on the train I was on so just like the London Underground used to be ! Probably my last trip on these historic units.
Seems to be the same today (BH Monday), just one unit running. Was the same Saturday incidentally.

One unit will "do" me

Also concerning I see the chain ferry isn't running and am getting in late on the Red Funnel service to the wrong side of Cowes for our BnB... But I won't bore you with the details!

Status
Not open for further replies.