• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Isle of Wight 1909 Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catracho

Good evening,

this is actually my first time posting something on this forum, so apologies in advance if this is not the correct sub-forum.

I'm a railway enthusiast from Germany, particularly interested in the history and geography of railway networks, with a focus on Germany and the UK. Currently I am doing some research on the railway history of the Isle of Wight.

I recently acquired Sir Peter Allen's "Rails in the Isle of Wight" where mention is made of a 1909 consulting report on the electrification and expansion of the island's railways. Allen details that the report proposed AC overhead electrification of the entire network (similar to the LB&SCR's London suburban system), as well as an extension of the FY&NR line from Freshwater to Totland and new lines from Ryde Esplanade to Seaview and from Newport to East Cowes. He also mentions that "further extensions were foreseen and the doubling of the busiest lines" but unfortunately doesn't go into more detail. Does anybody know what these further extensions were and where doubling was planned? Help would be much appreciated!

Regards,

Catracho

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
You probably know already that the report was prepared for an "Electric Railways Syndicate" (Wikipedia article, Isle of Wight Railway) about which I can find nothing online.
I am only speculating, but maybe this was connected with one of the early C20th proposals for a rail tunnel to the Island?
More speculation: were the originators approaching the situation from an electrical supply rather than a railway operating viewpoint? In which case talk of doubling and extensions would be in very general terms.
That said, in 1909 the only double track on the Island was from Pier Head to St John's, the rest waited for the SR to take control, so it wasn't an unreasonable idea. As to extensions, beyond those you mention, I can't see where there would be room on an island already well-supplied with railways.
Don't know if this is any use?

PS. Welcome on board.

Catracho

Thanks for the quick answer and the warm welcome!
Yes, I am aware of the obscure "Electric Railways Syndicate" but unfortunately have not been able to find anything about it, just like you.
I actually hadn't thought about the possibility of the report simply not giving more details about further extensions and line doubling and instead just mentioning them as a general possibility. But yes, maybe Allen didn't go into more detail because the report itself didn't include any.
As to the possible extensions, so far I have found out that there were plans for a line going "up the Back of the Wight through Chale" (possibly St Lawrence - Chale - Brighstone - Freshwater?), a connection to the Fishbourne Ferry Terminal (built during the SR era) and the already mentioned tunnel from Lymington to Yarmouth. But I suspect there were much more, even if only speculative.

Taunton

Established Member
I wonder if the island had enough electrical generating capacity for a load which would only have reached full demand for a few weekends of the year, such that would make a dedicated railway generating station particularly uneconomic.

Status
Not open for further replies.