• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Italo Bargain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig2601

Just booked a bargain Italo fare - Club exective from Peschiera Del Garda To Bologna for €19 including entry to Milano Italo lounge with free drinks and snacks! Weirdly it was €40 something for Milan Bologna alone but half the price if you booked further (as change of train required in Milan).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Some great deals to be found in Italy.

In June, I managed to get Reggio Calabria to Rome for 9 Euro's! I think it was about an 8 hour trip, in comfy A/C coaches with spacious 2+1 seating.

Craig2601

First time on Italo - hoping it’ll be good! And Italy certainly is good for bargain tickets.

Veteran Member
Just booked a bargain Italo fare - Club exective from Peschiera Del Garda To Bologna for €19 including entry to Milano Italo lounge with free drinks and snacks! Weirdly it was €40 something for Milan Bologna alone but half the price if you booked further (as change of train required in Milan).
Maybe because it's competing with Trenitalia using the direct route which is an hour shorter?

Craig2601

Possibly could be, however as it was booked today and travelling tomorrow it wasn’t bad! However I can see that if you want to get to your destination faster then Trenitalia is ~1 hour faster with the Frecciargento from Verona.

Veteran Member
It's also faster and cheaper on Regional trains, but I know which I'd choose.
TI lose out to Italo because they seem to price each leg separately on Frecce.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There's also that First Class tends to be priced much more reasonably in mainland Europe than in the UK. Advances close the gap a bit, but often not anywhere near enough.

CdBrux

An Italian colleague was telling me that train prices are very good thanks to the competition they now have. Maybe we can learn in UK: more open access?

Craig2601

It's also faster and cheaper on Regional trains, but I know which I'd choose.
TI lose out to Italo because they seem to price each leg separately on Frecce.
Took the regional train up from Bologna, completely fine to use but with Italo Sparking wine, aperitifs such as juice and even little fresh sandwiches at the lounge and on train, it’s certainly value for money!

higthomas

An Italian colleague was telling me that train prices are very good thanks to the competition they now have. Maybe we can learn in UK: more open access?

I think the FirstGroup Edinburgh one, when it gets going, may teach us something on that, as it's the first proposal that isn't niche.

Just remember that the sort of services with enough people to make it worth competing on are the ones which subsidize the less well used ones!
I highly doubt there'll be any open access lining up on the Conwy valley line anytime soon!

Craig2601

Read somewhere (think from Man in seat 61) that the competitive nature of the Italian High speed network means much cheaper average prices vs. Spain’s AVE and Frances TGV. Also, I think VTWC or LNER should offer an ‘executive’ like service on italo and Frecciarossa, taking space from maybe even half a first class coach, allowing a surcharge to be added to tickets allowing for the price of standard advance tickets to be cheaper. Profits wouldn’t be lost as the extra price for premium service could allow the price drop.

dutchflyer

Established Member
in THIS part. trip it is because its partly on the newly opened HS Milano-east toward Venezia route. That also explains why its cheaper as just on the older route from Milano.
Compared to the continent, ATOC-1st, at least on the really very, very expensive bisnis-cl type fares+Service fro/to LONdon also includes food on the train. Thats very uncommon for the classic national railroads.
IF booked smartly on advance, both bahn=DB and CZ Rail=CD also offer quite low fares and CD even on connections into Germany, both lower and much more available as on bahn.
Tipically PKP and PR in POland offer ''competitive'' fares where there is strong competition from buses or whatever other operator (f.e. Krakow-Katowice, bus is both much quicker and much more often as trains-these suffer from bad tracks due to subsoil bad from mining underneath).
ITaly has a tradition since Mussolini of very low local fares and not that long ago there were just these-for any train. Since the split off of long-distance and regional controlled local trains, those for long-dist. have gradually risen, but the gap with other countries remains.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Read somewhere (think from Man in seat 61) that the competitive nature of the Italian High speed network means much cheaper average prices vs. Spain’s AVE and Frances TGV. Also, I think VTWC or LNER should offer an ‘executive’ like service on italo and Frecciarossa, taking space from maybe even half a first class coach, allowing a surcharge to be added to tickets allowing for the price of standard advance tickets to be cheaper. Profits wouldn’t be lost as the extra price for premium service could allow the price drop.

With UK businesses increasingly saying "no first class" I think that would not be a sensible move. Italian business culture is I believe different.

More successful might be a "business class" or "premium economy" of some kind, with leather reclining seats in 2+2 formation with First Class spacing, proper tables, power sockets and perhaps an improved catering service - something like the old VT Voyager "hybrid coach" was. If only because some business travellers might get "Standard Plus" past their expenses but not "First Class" (hence the slightly misleading name of Eurostar "Standard Premier" which is basically First Class).

David M

I think the FirstGroup Edinburgh one, when it gets going, may teach us something on that, as it's the first proposal that isn't niche.

I'm not convinced, given the financial problems within First Group, that the proposal will actually come to fruition. Time will tell I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.