• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

JF's trip reports and plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello everyone,
After observing this fine forum a lot during 2017 I decided to join up and post my first trip report.

In late July/Early August I had a wonderful trip around Wales and South West England.
I had various plans made out with months, with the help of many on this forum. In the end I only booked 10 ahead of departure. One of the main reasons for the trip was to sample a few HST's and just a general holiday.

I have traveled by train in England before but nothing really substantial.

by the way I am based in SW Ireland.

Trip Report

Thursday 27 July 2017 (Sail Rail to Wales)

It was off bright and early and I got dropped to Tralee (Casement) Station for 7.05 direct to Dublin Hueston. This ICR was in great form and had a storming run arriving 10E into Hueston. As I had plenty of time I decided to have a second breakfast or a proper breakfast in Hueston. After a stroll around the concourse and the newsagents I hopped on a luas (Dublin Tram) to BusAras/Connolly Station.

From Amiens Street, I got the 12.00 Dublin Bus 53 service to the Port, and was dropped off right outside the Irish Ferries Terminal. I had around 2 hours until the 14.30 departure of the Jonathan Swift, so I checked in, went upstairs to the lounge relaxed admired the views and action going on around the port. As it was my first time travelling on SailRail or as a foot passenger I really curious to know how many people actually travel this way. I was quiet surprised that the departure lounge filled up so much. There was at least 70 foot passengers.

They boat was late inbound from Holyhead so there was a bit of a stampede when boarding opened. We managed to get moving around 10L. My first impressions of the Swift is that is spotless inside and quiet smooth for the speed we were doing. The crossing went fine I just admired the view and did a bit of reading.

Arrival in Holyhead was pretty much bang on time, after being bused to the terminal it was the usual token wave of the passport and I landed for my week of roaming and roving the railways of Britain. I didn’t have long to wait for the arrival of the inbound ATW which then formed the 17.30 to Shrewsbury.

There was just enough seats for everyone on 158820, I didn’t know which way to play it so I held back and got seat by the door next to one of my fellow ferry passengers he was from Northern Ireland. The guard came around straightaway looking for request stops, she then did full ticket check and helped many people with queries. The 2 teenagers in the seats in front of me who thought every stop was there one entertained me while looking out a rather grey North Wales.

After an hour I arrived at my stop Conwy, it was a lot sunnier here than on Anglesey. I had a nice uphill walk to the YHA Hostel for my first overnight stop.
The hostel was good and it was handy that there was a restaurant. I explored the town and its walls before returning to get some dinner and to have an early night.

1 observation: a good view foot passengers seemed to purchasing rail tickets in Holyhead rather getting combined sail and rail tickets. Is sail rail widely known about?

(even if nobody ever reads this I will have a record to enjoy in my old age!:lol:)

The rest to come soon.

Attachments

• 20170727_183013(0).jpg
    20170727_183013(0).jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

87electric

Welcome to the forum.
Trip reports are are great way to record your travels. I print my own thread off as PDF files and enjoy re-reading them. More fun than just numbers only in a notebook.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Welcome to the forum.
Trip reports are are great way to record your travels. I print my own thread off as PDF files and enjoy re-reading them. More fun than just numbers only in a notebook.

Much agreed and welcome too.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Welcome to the forum.

Now that's a clever idea. I need to do something similar with my own trip reports, I could easily fill a book with the lot I've done even just since I put them all into one thread in 2014. Now I need to figure out how to print as a PDF!

Thanks very much for all the nice welcoming comments.

On to day 2.

Day 2 Conwy to Bristol

After a good enough sleep and a quick breakfast I set off to visit Conwy Castle and spent a few minutes looking at the trains passing through the station. https://www.flickr.com/photos/150589020@N07/26336714779/in/dateposted-public/
After a quick walk back up the hill to collect my bags I walked to Llandundo Junction station where I got my Britrail pass activated (stamped). I observed the coming and goings with a 175 from the Manc Airport being terminated and turned immediately plus a large crowd boarded a 158 for Holyhead.

I boarded 1V96 the 12.33 Holyhead to Maesteg 175. I wondered how it full it would be but I was able to get a window seat although I was reversing to Chester. Really jolly and good trolley man when I got my tea. I really enjoyed my journey passing fields of potatoes and observing various sights such as Chirk Kronospan.

I arrived at Newport near enough on time and made my way to platform 4 where noisy sprinters 150249+150124 arrived with 2C85. Between Newport and Bristol it really is a hive of activity on both sides of the track with the extra tracks going in and electrification work sites.

I arrived in Bristol 2L. Then it was to find the ibis which would have been easier if I exited trough the correct door!

Once checked in I discovered a rather nice unexpected treat, the view of Bristol Temple Meads!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150589020@N07/37404412864/in/dateposted-public/

I didn’t bother to explore Bristol as I would return here later in my trip. I ate in the hotel bar and it was a nice chicken burger and a pint. They had a quite a good menu I thought it was a very nice hotel overall for the price. I had an early night as I had a long day to look forward to tomorrow.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds like a nice little day that. I assume the new tracks must be part of the Filton 4-tracking, much needed and long overdue.

I daresay you could have got a better deal away from the hotel, but fair enough if it's a good price.

I do wonder where you went to after Bristol!

Status
Not open for further replies.