• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Keir Starmer and the Labour Party’s stance during the pandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Purple Orange

On Moderation
If you worked in education and saw the damage done to the younger generation due to lockdowns you may change your view.
I am seeing the effect it has on my children. But here we are coming out of lockdown in a timely manner. I am not suggesting for one moment that we should continue under greater restrictions or change course.

brad465

Established Member
Don't forget the Welsh firebreak lockdown back at the end of October also didn't do anything to reduce the spread. Despite a lockdown, cases and deaths continued to go up in Wales.
They did go down briefly, but yes shot up once more as soon as it was lifted. Part of me wishes that the SAGE circuit breaker, supported by Starmer as well, was implemented in England, because at least then it would have been debunked quickly. The fact only Wales did it may explain why it doesn't get much talk, although high profile figures against lockdowns should have used the Welsh firebreak a lot more to backup the idea it was flawed.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
On the contrary; the decisions you and the Labour party would have taken sound far more damaging to society, in a wider sense.

I don't agree; locking down for longer doesn't really achieve much.

You don't have any actual evidence to support these claims. If you look at the Republic of Ireland, they locked down harder and longer than us, but this resulted in a lack of immunity in the population which meant cases sky rocketed when they did finally unlock, leading to the highest infection rates in Europe at the time.

The Czech Republic was very successful in the first season, but this only meant they were worse affected in the following season.

By the way, experts tend not to talk of "waves" nor try to exaggerate the number of so-called "waves"; such language appears to be used for dramatic effect to detract from having a sensible factual discussion.

There is no evidence that following the policies proposed by yourself and/or the Labour party would have reduced the death toll; you need to look at the bigger picture. Did you read the thread I posted regarding the link with inactivity and obesity? How would locking down longer and/or harder (as proposed by various Labour politicians and supported by yourself) have helped with that?

Many of us can't agree with you either.

Why not? There is no evidence that harsher/longer restrictions reduces deaths or increases the health of a population.

But you have no evidence that the policies proposed by hard left authoritarian Labour MPs and supporters would have actually reduced the death count. Furthermore, you should bear in mind the average age of a death with Covid is 82 (older than the average age of all deaths) and in the UK we had a few really good flu seasons where we had fewer deaths than normal, which resulted in more susceptible people for this virus.

This has no relevance to our situation.

How is India more relevant than, say, Sweden which didn't lock down?

That's a nonsense report, clearly created by biased individuals, which fails to properly take into account countries like Sweden which did not lock down. It also ignores the comparison with US states which released restrictive measures with those that continue to have restrictive measures.

The Labour party and those like you who support them are so obsessed with imposing authoritarianism that they are absolutely desperate to distort the truth. I vow never to vote for Labour while such policies and views persist.

You have failed to provide any evidence that authoritarianism would have reduced deaths, nor are you considering the wider harms to society.

I’m going to bow out from the discussion for now. Your response beggars belief, but we all have a right to our own opinion.

I am not too sure what lockdown sceptics are asking for at the moment, other than coming out of lockdown faster than we are. June 21st is a date where we could possibly have all restrictions lifted and that is 7 weeks away. Quite frankly I find it rather disturbing that it appears that some people would have been happier to see an increased death rate in trade for fewer restrictions. Have patience. Life will be returning to normal.

I am sorry to tell you but your comments attempted to label me. But as with so many social media commenters, you were very wrong.
I can say that my comment was certainly not an attempt to label you.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Quite frankly I find it rather disturbing that it appears that some people would have been happier to see an increased death rate in trade for fewer restrictions.
Would you like all speed limits on roads to be 5mph to eliminate all road deaths? Or are you happy to have fewer restrictions when it suits you?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ok, for the sake of everyone’s sanity and the fact that it doesn’t seem to able to stay on topic that’ll do for this thread.
Take a breath, go and have a cup of tea and relax please. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.