• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kim Jong Un's train on BBC 10 o'clock news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordon

DF4d 3058 did the honours transporting Kim to Vietnam - widely reported as travelling by train all the way...

available on video:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Was reading its been to Eastern Europe in the past ? How far did it go? Can this rolling stock operate in Europe?

Great find Gordon!

Was this on arrival in Vietnam? That DF4d looks like a DPRK lok on the front, so I guess that took it all the way through PRC, out through Dandong?

@route101,

Dunno if it's been the exact same train over the years but his dad and grandad certainly went out through Tumangang / Khasan, along the Trans-Siberian by train several times back in the day to Moskva and beyond to party with Ceaușescu in Bucharest and Honecker in Berlin!

MarkyT

Established Member
Great find Gordon!

Was this on arrival in Vietnam? That DF4d looks like a DPRK lok on the front, so I guess that took it all the way through PRC, out through Dandong?

@route101,

Dunno if it's been the exact same train over the years but his dad and grandad certainly went out through Tumangang / Khasan, along the Trans-Siberian by train several times back in the day to Moskva and beyond to party with Ceaușescu in Bucharest and Honecker in Berlin!

With bogie and traction change I assume if it was the same stock through working.

Yeah, they jack the cars up at Tumangang to do that.

Check this out for more info:

http://vienna-pyongyang.blogspot.com/?m=1

It's absolutely one of the best stories I have ever read on the whole entire Internet! Helmut also posts here on the forum from time-to-time as @provodnik .
As I have always been long fascinated with the Warsaw Pact / USSR / DPRK and their railways myself, Helmut and Oliver's 2008 DPRK adventure inspired me to make a similar trip myself last year and I got as far as the border at Khasan..
It was a crazy experience I'll never forget and will write up a blog post of my own as soon as I find the time hopefully before the summer.

MarkyT

Established Member
It was quoted has having a 35mph top speed with a journey time from Pyong Yang (North Korea) to Hanoi (Vietnam) of 60 hours.

I think that's average speed which makes sense for around 2200 miles, and that seems reasonable measured on Google Earth although I've no idea of the exact route followed. Looks fairly modern bogie stock, and would expect maximum permitted speed to be at least 100kph.

S.Zeitblom

By commercial service, Pyongyang - Beijing is 22 hours or so, Beijing-Hanoi 36 hours, so 60 hours looks very reasonable. I did exactly the same trip as Mr Kim 3 years ago ; the speed was noticeably low within North Korea and Vietnam (probably because of the infrastructure more than because of the rolling stock)

farci

With bogie and traction change I assume if it was the same stock through working.
AFAIK it's standard gauge all the way via China to Vietnam. Tumangang is a connection to Russian gauge for the Trans-Siberian.

The coaches are based on a Chinese design so probably no gauging problems

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.