• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kuala Lumpur Area Cargo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

csinc

I wanted to get some advice on if there are any spots in the greater Kuala Lumpur area that are good for catching cargo trains? Have not had much luck google searching trying to find much of anything about trainspotting in Malaysia.

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

boiledbeans2

I remember when I visited Kuala Lumpur railway station in 2018, it was extremely deserted.

Even the commuter 'KTM Komuter' trains were something like 1tph off-peak and 2tph peak, and the station was significantly empty most of the time. I don't remember seeing freight.

KL Sentral station was no fun to visit, it's newer and all underground, like a smaller version of B'ham New Street.

You may want to check out wiki for KTM Kargo:
It says "there are 45 cargo train services daily with 23 routes daily", so maybe that's why I couldn't see any when I was there. The link above has some routes as well, although I'm not familiar with them. You may have to use Google maps to figure out the intermediate points.

For something interesting, you can go to Muzium Negara (National Museum). At the entrance (without entering the museum), there is an English Electric KTM Class 22 loco:

Last edited:

dutchflyer

Established Member
Have visited Malaysia-and around-several times, but my last time there was also by now some 4-5 yrs ago. Do not fully agree with above: the old stasyon (with the moorish building-listed in about any guidebook) has 2 komuterlines, very well used, very low fares, both running ev 20/30 mins. Since then one more line must have opened, but the stock is boring all the same. Perhaps this was then due to major renovation works-but by now nearly whole main north-south line has been electrified.
The new Sentral gathers all types of transit, is also end of hi-speed (normal gauge I think) airport link and is indeed mostly yet another hi-class shopping senter-with a good foodcourt BTW.
Freight from what I remember (but its not my major interest at all) was mostly container=kontener (Malay is often a very easy language) and will mostly use the side komuter line to Port Kelang (main freight port) but I really would now know from where it comes to go there. Would not even know if it is still diesel hauled or by now also gone electric.
The only other possible source I know of where -and not that often- news about KTMB comes along is the well-known skyscrapercity-railways. If nothing comes along here, and if really wanting more advice, try to contact the regular poster with Malay name there.

Status
Not open for further replies.