• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LHCS Mk3 disposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExRes

Established Member
DATS have placed the following coaches for sale, 12078, 12122, 12133, 12138, 11018, 11048, 12092 & 11074 all currently stored at Gascoigne Wood Sidings, they will go for scrap if not sold by 1st April individually or as a whole

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adc82140

Established Member
DATS have placed the following coaches for sale, 12078, 12122, 12133, 12138, 11018, 11048, 12092 & 11074 all currently stored at Gascoigne Wood Sidings, they will go for scrap if not sold by 1st April individually or as a whole
Not that I'm even remotely considering purchasing one of these, just for curiosity's sake what would the nominal scrap value be? I note they are only accepting offers above this.

Or is it a case of anyone who is likely to be serious bidder would know this?

spotify95

Any news on this? Not that I'm actually going to purchase a train carriage anytime soon but the April 1st is looming close. Hopefully someone's bought these so they're not fed to Sims.

fgwrich

Established Member
Any news on this? Not that I'm actually going to purchase a train carriage anytime soon but the April 1st is looming close. Hopefully someone's bought these so they're not fed to Sims.
Nothing publicly yet. But I doubt they'll go in the bin just yet, though some of those Mk3s are in better condition than others.

On Moderation
Nothing publicly yet. But I doubt they'll go in the bin just yet, though some of those Mk3s are in better condition than others.
I can't see who would want them: preserved operations wanting Mark 3s will have got them already (and two of those for sale are "de-preserved" vehicles) and they are not much use for mainline operations as they lack CET - anyone wanting Mark 3s for mainline work really should have bought from the former Anglia fleet. Scrap or spares donors are the favourite options.

fgwrich

Established Member
I can't see who would want them: preserved operations wanting Mark 3s will have got them already (and two of those for sale are "de-preserved" vehicles) and they are not much use for mainline operations as they lack CET - anyone wanting Mark 3s for mainline work really should have bought from the former Anglia fleet. Scrap or spares donors are the favourite options.
Nor can I to be honest, bar one operator of various similar coaches (that rarely ventures into the mainline these days) from the East. I know I could do with some of the spares, but I’ll have to wait for something else to come up. But we shall see!

ExRes

Established Member
37418 worked todays 1050 5Z50 Gascoigne Wood Sidings to Yarmouth CHS with the 10 DATS Mk3s 12078, 12092, 12138, 12133, 11018, 12122, 11048 & 11074 and 2 former DRS coaches 5810 & 9705 from Derby RTC

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
Hasn't taken long!

Mk3 ex Virgin Trains first class coaches
Two available - excellent condition, virtually ready to run, vehicles have been moved mainline during 2023.
A rare opportunity to buy first class vehicles in such a good condition. Immediately available.

Mk3 ex Virgin Trains standard class coaches
Two available - excellent condition, virtually ready to run, vehicles have been moved mainline during 2023.
Immediately available one of the coaches was repainted a few years ago.

fgwrich

Established Member
Who exactly are they hoping to sell them to?
God knows, however it wouldn't surprise me if someones taken a look at 12092, bulked, and decided to sell that one on. It wasn't in great condition when the 125 Group sold it (apart from being a loco hauled example and therefore outside of the core aims of the group, it also required more thorough work than was considered worth it) - proving that a paint job can hide a multitude of sins!

12LDA28C

Established Member
Is Eastern Rail Services just someone using up their life savings?

No. ERS are an established rolling stock overhaul / leasing company with extensive rail engineering experience, also I believe connected or affiliated to Independent Rail Engineering Ltd, based in Chesterfield.

rustbucket

No. ERS are an established rolling stock overhaul / leasing company with extensive rail engineering experience, also I believe connected or affiliated to Independent Rail Engineering Ltd, based in Chesterfield.

And RMS Locotec...

DBS92042

Established Member
Seen a report of 82124 on the M5. Possibly off for scrapping?

I realise I might get yet another reminder or reprimand off the moderators but I'll give this a shot anyway.

In another thread there is news that 3 power cars and 9 mk3 coaches are being exported to Mexico, now would it not be sensible or possible to send the 10 coaches from the DATS set and another power car at least so that there would be spare coaches and at least 2 spare power cars until a 2nd train can be formed once a sufficient number of Mexico train driver who will operate them have been ( please excuse the punn ) trained to drive them.

To the moderators, if this post is in the wrong thread could you please transfer it to the correct thread.

I felt that as there are mk3 coaches being disposed of that this post was best posted here as a suggestion for an alternative to scrapping them, send them and any operational power cars to where they can be used again.

On Moderation
I realise I might get yet another reminder or reprimand off the moderators but I'll give this a shot anyway.

In another thread there is news that 3 power cars and 9 mk3 coaches are being exported to Mexico, now would it not be sensible or possible to send the 10 coaches from the DATS set and another power car at least so that there would be spare coaches and at least 2 spare power cars until a 2nd train can be formed once a sufficient number of Mexico train driver who will operate them have been ( please excuse the punn ) trained to drive them.

To the moderators, if this post is in the wrong thread could you please transfer it to the correct thread.

I felt that as there are mk3 coaches being disposed of that this post was best posted here as a suggestion for an alternative to scrapping them, send them and any operational power cars to where they can be used again.
LHCS Mark 3s are incompatible with HST stock in terms of electrical supply and lack of through 36-way cabling, so no.

rustbucket

And the DATS set is now in private ownership with Eastern Rail Services, doubt they would want to sell on so fast

Status
Not open for further replies.