• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lincon to Nottingham for Commuting

Status
Not open for further replies.

w0051977

I am thinking about working in Nottingham in the future, which will initially involve commuting from Lincoln. I have two options i.e. drive or train. I have a question about the train journey. Here is what I know:

Outbound Journey

The 07:04 train stops at: Collingham; Newark Castle and Lowdham in between Lincoln and Nottigham.

Inbound Journey

The 17:50 train stops at: Lowdham; Newark Castle; Collingham; Swinderby and Hykeham in between Nottingham and Lincoln.

Question

How busy are these trains? For example, it would be interesting to know approximate % capacity at each station. For example, the inbound journey could be: 160% at Nottingham; 60% at Newark Castle; 40% at Collingham etc. I am particularly interested in the inbound journey.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The outbound journey is operated by a 5 carriage "Meridian" that continues on to London St Pancras from Nottingham. This service is busy, but if you're starting from Lincoln you're guaranteed a seat.

The 1750 originates from Nottingham and is usually formed of 2 carriages. You should be warned that this service can and does get short formed to 1 carriage on an occasional basis depending on rolling stock availability - it's a regular victim due to the fact it's formed of two single car units. This service gets very busy, but providing it's a 2 carriage train then you stand a chance at a seat. The proceeding 1721 is much worse, and the following 1817 a lot quieter.

I can't give you approximate loadings as I don't work either of these trains on a regular basis. I'd say that the train is by far your easiest option, and the Lincoln to Nottingham services are on the whole pretty reliable. If you want to try it I'd advise buying a weekly season ticket for £56.70 to see if it's for you, before committing to a longer term ticket.

w0051977

The outbound journey is operated by a 5 carriage "Meridian" that continues on to London St Pancras from Nottingham. This service is busy, but if you're starting from Lincoln you're guaranteed a seat.

The 1750 originates from Nottingham and is usually formed of 2 carriages. You should be warned that this service can and does get short formed to 1 carriage on an occasional basis depending on rolling stock availability - it's a regular victim due to the fact it's formed of two single car units. This service gets very busy, but providing it's a 2 carriage train then you stand a chance at a seat. The proceeding 1721 is much worse, and the following 1817 a lot quieter.

I can't give you approximate loadings as I don't work either of these trains on a regular basis. I'd say that the train is by far your easiest option, and the Lincoln to Nottingham services are on the whole pretty reliable. If you want to try it I'd advise buying a weekly season ticket for £56.70 to see if it's for you, before committing to a longer term ticket.

Thank you. This is what I thought. I guess the outbound journey gets busy at Newark? With regards to the inbound journey; could you quantify "a lot" when you say: "and the following 1817 a lot quieter". Am I always guaranteed a seat on the 18:17 train? How much quieter is it in comparison to the 17:50 train? e.g. 20%, 50% etc. Does this train occasionally get short formed like the 17:50?

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Yes, the outbound journey gets busy at Newark.

You would be guaranteed a seat on the 1817 on most occasions. A short form on this journey is very rare, as it's usually formed of a fixed 2-car unit. If I had to quantify it I'd say it's 25% to 50% quieter depending on what day it is.

w0051977

I can't give you approximate loadings as I don't work either of these trains on a regular basis.
Are you able to provide a rough estimate (I won't hold you to it!)? It would be helpful to know:

1) Approximately how full the 17:50 train is at Nottingham (return journey) after the passengers at Nottingham get on (with one carrage and two carriages)?
2) Approximately how full the 18:17 train is at Nottigham (return journey) after the passengers get on?

I am trying to establish if "busy" is 90% or 300% capacity. I literally have no idea because of my lack of experience with trains.

I'd say it's 25% to 50% quieter depending on what day it is.
Are certain weekdays' busier than others? I guess people may want to leave work earlier on Fridays' meaning the 18:10 is lighter on Fridays? Is that what you are saying?

You would be guaranteed a seat on the 1817 on most occasions. A short form on this journey is very rare, as it's usually formed of a fixed 2-car unit. If I had to quantify it I'd say it's 25% to 50% quieter depending on what day it is.
Are you sure about that? I was recently informed that the 17:50 starts at Nottingham, however the 18:17 starts at Leicester. I would of thought that I would more likely get a seat on the 17:50 train as it starts at Nottigham?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

robbeech

Established Member
It does start from Leicester however passenger numbers between stations such as Syston, Sileby etc are likely to be fairly low to Nottingham, and many of those are likely to only travel to Nottingham. Leicester to Nottingham passengers would likely try to catch the 1725 service from St Pancras to Nottingham as it gets to Nottingham in barely over half the time that the 1726 does.
It isn't booked to arrive at Nottingham until after the 1750 leaves and the 1750 is a faster train than the 1817 although not by much.

Status
Not open for further replies.