• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER application status - TM

Status
Not open for further replies.

jubilee_line

Hello,

I've recently applied for the position of Train Manager with LNER. I completed the video interview a couple weeks ago, sent GCSE (equivalent) results, and have just received an email telling me that my application has been withdrawn.

I'm really upset by this as I would never have withdrawn my application; it's a dream job! I am so confused as the wording does not sound like a rejection either: "Thank you for applying for the position of Apprentice Train Manager - Leeds/Doncaster, we confirm that you have withdrawn from the application process."

I have replied asking for clarification and to request that my application is kept in the running if I've not been rejected, but I'm so worried about this!

Has anyone else ever received this? For those who have received rejections from LNER, have they ever sounded like this?

Thank you for any help or advice!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

iSquared

Was there an invite to a next step that got lost in your junk mail? Often if you fail to complete the next step by the deadline they will assume you’ve withdrawn from the process.

jubilee_line

Was there an invite to a next step that got lost in your junk mail? Often if you fail to complete the next step by the deadline they will assume you’ve withdrawn from the process.

No, I've been checking my junk folder consistently since I applied, and I definitely didn't miss anything. There's nothing else on the careers portal either. I was just waiting to see if I'd passed the video interview :(

Similar thing happened to me: had been requested to send copies of Maths and English GCSE (or equivalent) certificates which are necessary as the training is classed as an apprenticeship but turned-out I'd sent them to the wrong address and so technically weren't received by the cut-off date. However I contacted them immediately and the recruiter kindly allowed me to resubmit by the end of the following day.

Could very well be the reason behind your application being withdrawn. Have you checked through your online LNER jobs account to see if an email was sent out requesting them? Know from own experience that sometimes emails sent to me get mysteriously lost in the ether by the email provider (cheers BT Mail)...

jubilee_line

Hey, thank you for the reply! After writing the post, I came to the conclusion that it was likely my GCSE results that caused it, although I am not certain as they never replied to my email (including through the online portal). I grew up in the USA so my results weren't as straightforward - before I even applied I sent an email asking what they would accept. I did not get a reply to this, so when I was asked to provide them I just sent all of my standardised test results and my high school transcript. I got a reply saying that they thought that I would need to apply for a NARIC translation of my results, but to send over my UK degree transcript as well and they would have a look at it. I immediately sent the transcript and asked them to please let me know if a NARIC was needed (and if so, to kindly keep my application under consideration while I applied for one). I never got a reply after that so assumed they'd accepted it until I got the withdrawal email.

I'm still quite disappointed by this as I don't feel like there's anything I could have done to meet their deadline given the late reply. I would have paid for the NARIC if they had told me in time for me to receive it before the deadline, but it's not something I would have had at hand as no university has asked me for this, and I wasn't even told that I definitely needed one before they withdrew me. I'm glad that you were able to get yours in though!

Roger1973

I can't speak with any experience or inside knowledge of LNER, but it seems unusual that if you have a degree that they would get too concerned about GCSE level qualifications. I have a degree level professional qualification which I have had to show the certificate for, but not sure any (potential) employer has been that bothered about my GCSE results since I got it.

It also strikes me as very poor manners just to say you've withdrawn your application if, for whatever reason, they have made the decision.

It is just possible that there's been some administrative or technical error on their part, so I think you have done the right thing in making contact to try and find out what's going on (and the sort of contact that keeps the possibility of them continuing with your application not the sort that burns all bridges!)

Hope you get at least a sensible answer.

When you’ve been corresponding with the Recruitment team, have you been replying to their emails or have you been using the email address quoted in the GCSE certificate request? I (accidentally) did the former initially which is why mine never got through but when I received the same withdrawal email I realised what I’d done and sent my response to the other address — and they got back to me within a couple of hours.

Apologies if it’s grannies and eggs territory but seems odd you haven’t heard anything more from them (even as a courtesy)…

skyhigh

Established Member
I can't speak with any experience or inside knowledge of LNER, but it seems unusual that if you have a degree that they would get too concerned about GCSE level qualifications.
For an apprenticeship they need evidence of applicable qualifications in English Language, Maths and ICT to a certain level. Having education in other subjects above that level doesn't override the requirement for evidence at the lower level.

If you can't provide the evidence you need to complete a skills course during training.

jubilee_line

Yes, I completely understand the need to see GCSE results for the apprenticeship; I wasn't expecting them to take my degree but was hoping that they must have accepted either that or one of the other five potential US equivalents I'd previously sent.

When you’ve been corresponding with the Recruitment team, have you been replying to their emails or have you been using the email address quoted in the GCSE certificate request? I (accidentally) did the former initially which is why mine never got through but when I received the same withdrawal email I realised what I’d done and sent my response to the other address — and they got back to me within a couple of hours.

I sent my initial pre-application email, my test results and high school transcript, and my email asking why I'd been withdrawn to the recruitment address (the one in the email). I did reply directly to the one response I got (the one saying that I might need a NARIC but to send my degree transcript), so maybe that's where I went wrong, but I did email the team after that and got no reply. Perhaps they just didn't want to progress me, which is fine, but it's been stressful not knowing where I messed up or how to fix it for next time! I actually thought that I might have had a chance, as I passed the Train Manager assessments recently with CrossCountry and was told that I'd done very well, haha. Ah well - will just have to keep applying when things come up! Thanks to everyone for the advice :)

TreacleMiller

For an apprenticeship they need evidence of applicable qualifications in English Language, Maths and ICT to a certain level. Having education in other subjects above that level doesn't override the requirement for evidence at the lower level.

If you can't provide the evidence you need to complete a skills course during training.

Exactly this. I have a degree that is way in advance of a GCSE in maths. They were literally only interested in IT, English and Maths.

As discussed here that email heavily suggests that you have time out on a response window OR recruitment have not processed them.

It's a part time team and they get swamped with applications. It is my understanding emails you send them DO NOT get read unless they enable your messages to come through. That's what I was basically told during my driver application process.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I applied for a couple of LNER posts way back in 2019/20 and one was discontinued over the fact I hadn't replied to something. Like yourself, I regular check my junk/spam folder for incoming mail.

As a few other forum members have highlighted on here - many TOC recruitment teams are small and are often overwhelmed with the volume of work they have to contend with.

Another thing is that recruitment teams use IT databases that generate automatic responses or actions. Cross Country is one TOC that springs to mind who recruit via a portal on Deutsche Bahn. Without going off topic - their IT system appears to have flaws in that applications are shown 'under consideration' years later!!!!

Another example (and I'm not referring to a specific TOC here!), if an application needs to be actioned by the recruitment personnel by say the 27th June, the recruitment staff fail to respond in time - the computer may create an automated message to the applicant that says they have not done something and the process is being discontinued.

I would strongly urge you to make contact with the LNER recruitment team via telephone to raise this. It might be that the application cannot be reinstated, but at least it will give you the heads up to be mindful of this in the future.

CJ

Last edited:

jubilee_line

Thank you both for the insight! I understand that I've missed this vacancy, but I'd still like to know what they will accept as a GCSE equivalent so that I don't miss out on future opportunities. I was not able to find a working telephone number for their recruitment team (it's not in the email signature) so would be very grateful if anyone could PM it to me.

Also, about the CrossCountry application status - I'm currently in a talent pool with them for a Train Manager role and my status still says "under consideration." The hiring manager has been very approachable though and doesn't mind if I ask for an update!

BiggieBallast

Hello,

I was just wondering, did you get an update from LNER?

As I am going through the same situation with an interview.

I emailed them asking around 2 weeks ago and still haven’t got a response.

Status
Not open for further replies.