• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Trainee Driver Jobs (18/03/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bubba

Ah, I guess wrong. Was thinking it had gone quiet on this thread so thought the interview process might have come to an end.

Best of luck for tomorrow.

Komma

15000 applicants, 1000 telephone interviews and then 200 put forward for OPC tests,but not sure how many jobs there are at the end.

Michael1985

in that case I'll prepare myself for inevitable "unfortunately" email!
Although to be fair, if the numbers that the above poster are correct, and you’ve had a phone interview, then that’s a 1 in 15 shout. You’ve already got further than the majority of people.

Joliver

15000 applicants, 1000 telephone interviews and then 200 put forward for OPC tests,but not sure how many jobs there are at the end.
This wouldn't surprise me at all. When I got in with my TOC, based in London, the company said there were over 30,000 applications. It's a very popular job. Getting past the initial application is an achievement in its self.

Brilufc

When deciding who goes through to next stage do you think it will be based purely on the telephone interview or will it be based on the score for the 3 online tests, interview and cv when deciding who is successful.
What does everybody think?

Bubba

I assume it will all be taken into consideration. To be fair, I would imagine the telephone interview is by a recruitment company, employed to drag the information out of us. It will then be passed onto LNER, including the results of the online assessments, for them to decide which candidates to progress with.

Choochoo89

When deciding who goes through to next stage do you think it will be based purely on the telephone interview or will it be based on the score for the 3 online tests, interview and cv when deciding who is successful.
What does everybody think?

I think it’s a fresh start from the telephone interview. Just my guess. But with it being an external company, and whoever gets to the interview was deemed good enough, I’m guessing that what they say from the interview is gospel. But again that’s just my guess so probably wrong lol

I've applied for the role but cant find my GCSE certificates as it was a long time ago!!
I believe I achieved Cs in both Maths and English. I also have an NVQ Level 2, I had a look on the internet and it says an NVQ is an equivalent, does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Thanks

iwasyoungonce

I've applied for the role but cant find my GCSE certificates as it was a long time ago!!
I believe I achieved Cs in both Maths and English. I also have an NVQ Level 2, I had a look on the internet and it says an NVQ is an equivalent, does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Thanks
I don't think a NVQ level 2 would be enough (I'm no expert) as they are vocational (based on your job) at that time and don't usually include an exam at the end just evidence built up over time, I believe some TOC have previously put people through a Functional skills level 2 course if you don't have GCSE C

Michael1985

Most roles within the railway are now heading towards the apprentiship route which requires completing the Level 2 functional skills course that you mention (if you don't already have English and Maths A-C). If you don't have your certificates, I'd recommend getting touch with your old school (if it still exists) and finding out which exam board you used and ordering copies of them.

Michael1985

I assume it will all be taken into consideration. To be fair, I would imagine the telephone interview is by a recruitment company, employed to drag the information out of us. It will then be passed onto LNER, including the results of the online assessments, for them to decide which candidates to progress with.

I agree with this. At this stage, I'd be surprised if anyone has even looked at our CV's yet and think that all elements will be passed over for LNER to look at. If it was a case of just passing the telephone interview by scoring a certain mark, then why would it take 4 weeks to get back to you? Also, if it's true that 15000 people applied, and only 1000 people had phone interviews, it allows LNER's HR department to have a proper look at 1000 applications in detail, rather than 15000 which would be a logistical nightmare, hence why it will take a month to process.

Anyway, I'm proably wrong anyway.

Bucephalus

Anyway, I'm proably wrong anyway.

Haha, it is fun guessing though. I personally think there will be a 'pass' mark for the phone interview that keeps us in the running, then LNER will invite the top scoring bracket (out of the tests and phone interviews combined) to assessments first. The outcome of the first batch of assessments will decide how many of the rest of us get eliminated. Maybe I should be doing that as a job!

And of course, I am only saying how i would do it

Last edited:

Komma

I didn't get the info from my interviewer, but my friend got it from his interviewer yesterday.
So I thought I would share it and it also sounds like similar numbers of applicants to when
Virgin East Coast did their failed recruitment drive a couple of years ago.
So from a 1 in 15 chance, we are now down to a 1 in 5 chance.

Coopes1710

Thanks

I have a NVQ L2 in one subject and NVQ L3 in another.
The advertisement said A-C or equivalent and I was asked in my interview if I had A-C or equivalent.
I said yes through NVQs.
I was told they are the equivalent and it says online they are so that’s what I am sticking with :D

badger1badger

Hi
I have the same problem mine are GCSE and you can not get copies of Certificates now.
I did the required units in ONC and HNC so hoping these will be acceptable

as the above poster says it was a while ago !

I have a NVQ L2 in one subject and NVQ L3 in another.
The advertisement said A-C or equivalent and I was asked in my interview if I had A-C or equivalent.
I said yes through NVQs.
I was told they are the equivalent and it says online they are so that’s what I am sticking with :D
Did the interviewer say they were happy they were an equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.