• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Buses Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Statto

Established Member
How about TFL transform the former X68 route to run all-day in both directions? It's quite an anomaly running peak flows only the way I see it.

SL6 (former X68) is a commuter route, although buses are often full by the time they get past West Norwood morning & Waterloo in the evening, not sure if theirs a market for an all day version of the route, although it's an anomaly such a commuter route operates in TFL land, main reason the SL6 operates is because of large sections of the route between Thornton Heath & West Norwood that are some distance from the nearest rail station, that it works as a peak commuter route, not sure if it would work as an all day route

Also remember over the non stop section of the SL6, drivers have a choice of a couple of routes, most drivers go via Brixton & Kennington, not sure that would be the case if it became an all day route, as they'd be demands for the route to stop in areas like Camberwell.

Last edited:

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
One route which really needs a frequency boost is the N9, every time I've seen one it's been full to bursting, which is not surprising given how useful it is for Heathrow shift workers. At present the frequency is every 30 minutes every night, but it could easily justify the sort of frequency the N25 and N29 have (every 10 minutes or better).

PGAT

Established Member
I think any more stops on the SL6 would kill its appeal as an express route. It already stops at every stop south of West Norwood, so the long section between West Norwood and Waterloo is the main appeal, but having a stop in the middle would utterly destroy that, and would lock the route into only serving say Camberwell which causes a reliability risk. I’d say if there was high demand there, you’d be better off increasing the frequency of the 468

talldave

Established Member
Express seems to be the more common term describing this type of bus route in the UK as it is more widely understood.
If that's the case, perhaps the ASA or Trading Standards would care to investigate the "waiting here for a short time to regulate the service" issue that makes them very much not express?

I think any more stops on the SL6 would kill its appeal as an express route. It already stops at every stop south of West Norwood, so the long section between West Norwood and Waterloo is the main appeal, but having a stop in the middle would utterly destroy that, and would lock the route into only serving say Camberwell which causes a reliability risk. I’d say if there was high demand there, you’d be better off increasing the frequency of the 468
The frustration is in seeing empty buses sailing past because the service is only one way at any one time.

Statto

Established Member
One route which really needs a frequency boost is the N9, every time I've seen one it's been full to bursting, which is not surprising given how useful it is for Heathrow shift workers. At present the frequency is every 30 minutes every night, but it could easily justify the sort of frequency the N25 and N29 have (every 10 minutes or better).

Agreed, the N9 used to be every 20 minutes then TFL reduced the frequency to every 30 minutes a couple of years ago, first few buses are often full by the time they leave Heathrow, as last tubes to Central London are around 23.30, & planes are still arriving in at Heathrow until 1am, plus buses on the N9 are often full from Central London too, particularly from 3am onwards, N9 needs a frequency increase.

Snow1964

Established Member
ComfortDelGro the parent of Metroline has secured funding of Sin$100m to purchase 135 electric buses for London

ComfortDelGro, a Singapore-based transport operator, has secured a S$100m ($73.47m) green loan from DBS to decarbonise its UK bus fleet.

The funds have been utilised to purchase 135 electric buses for Metroline, a wholly owned subsidiary of ComfortDelGro and a bus operator in London.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
My two cents on the proposed new Superloop routes.

North Greenwich to Thamesmead: Overkill, there are already 3 routes that traverse the NG to Woolwich corridor, and in the age of the Elizabeth line I find it hard to justify 3 routes covering this corridor, the 180 definitely didn’t need to have any changes since it’s now another 472, the 161 also isn’t needed west of Woolwich, if this express route goes ahead one route will definitely be axed and it’ll be the 472 most likely.

Eltham to Streatham: On paper looks good but let’s be honest such a route will have to use the South Circular Road which is rammed with traffic at the best of times, such a express route really wouldn’t be that much faster than a regular stopping route.

What TfL fails to understand is the demand for cross South London travel in the inner areas.

I’d rather a route that started at Thamesmead, then via Woolwich, Blackheath Sun in the Sands, A2 Road, Westhorne, Lewisham, Catford, Sydenham, Crystal Palace, then either onto Streatham or Brixton, this would ease the loads off the 54, 122 & 202 routes.

Another route could be one that parallels the 227/358 routes
I don't feel qualified to offer really up-to-date opinions, as I can no longer get to the city of my birth and first forty years, but I read very widely, look at videos etc and get 'gut' feelings about things, which doesn't make them right of course. :smile:

On that basis, and given my S.E. London background, I'd agree with all your observations. I'm willing to bet I'm the only member of this forum who's been on a direct scheduled bus between Tulse Hill and Eltham Green, on the old tram replacement route 186 while I was at primary school, but of course its use of the South Circular was almost confined to the Eltham Green to Woolwich section.Whether the proposed route uses more of it between Brixton Hill and Forest Hill, I don't know. As you say, the opportunity of 'express' working wouldn't be possible at many times.

I've always wanted a Streatham to Bromley direct link, particularly since the 227 got cut back to the latter permanently.

The 180 being taken away from Lewisham was one of the worst decisions that has ever been made on buses in the area!

NorthKent1989

Established Member
I don't feel qualified to offer really up-to-date opinions, as I can no longer get to the city of my birth and first forty years, but I read very widely, look at videos etc and get 'gut' feelings about things, which doesn't make them right of course. :smile:

On that basis, and given my S.E. London background, I'd agree with all your observations. I'm willing to bet I'm the only member of this forum who's been on a direct scheduled bus between Tulse Hill and Eltham Green, on the old tram replacement route 186 while I was at primary school, but of course its use of the South Circular was almost confined to the Eltham Green to Woolwich section.Whether the proposed route uses more of it between Brixton Hill and Forest Hill, I don't know. As you say, the opportunity of 'express' working wouldn't be possible at many times.

I've always wanted a Streatham to Bromley direct link, particularly since the 227 got cut back to the latter permanently.

The 180 being taken away from Lewisham was one of the worst decisions that has ever been made on buses in the area!

I’d say you’re more than qualified to add your two cents after spending your first 40 years in London! ;)

Yes the 186 did that weird route from Victoria to Slade Green via Vauxhall, Brixton, West Norwood, Crystal Palace then followed the old 122 route to Bexleyheath & Slade Green if I recall?

The 122/202 are the routes that use much of the eastern half of the South Circular and there is always disruption

A Orpington/Bromley to Streatham route would be useful, especially if it did start at Orpington and roughly followed both the 227 and 358 routes

That said I’m not adverse to another SE-SW route if it’s express, but I’d say it should follow the 54 route and only use some small section of the South Circular.

Yes the 180 is now basically the 472A, far be it that hordes of Erith commuters are flocking to North Greenwich, the majority of the 180 is a shuttle to Abbey Wood, basically half full to Woolwich and North Greenwich.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I’d say you’re more than qualified to add your two cents after spending your first 40 years in London! ;)

Yes the 186 did that weird route from Victoria to Slade Green via Vauxhall, Brixton, West Norwood, Crystal Palace then followed the old 122 route to Bexleyheath & Slade Green if I recall?

The 122/202 are the routes that use much of the eastern half of the South Circular and there is always disruption

A Orpington/Bromley to Streatham route would be useful, especially if it did start at Orpington and roughly followed both the 227 and 358 routes

That said I’m not adverse to another SE-SW route if it’s express, but I’d say it should follow the 54 route and only use some small section of the South Circular.

Yes the 180 is now basically the 472A, far be it that hordes of Erith commuters are flocking to North Greenwich, the majority of the 180 is a shuttle to Abbey Wood, basically half full to Woolwich and North Greenwich.
Thank you for being so kind!

I don't think the 186 ever went east of Woolwich, General Gordon Place, with the 122/122A terminating at Woolwich, Earl of Chatham or Thomas Street. The 186 was very prone to disruption too, even though only one in three or four buses operated beyond Crystal Palace to Victoria. I used to stand at Eltham Green outside the long-gone Yorkshire Grey pub observing buses and the 21s and 182s, plus 160s, never seemed to have long gaps, but the 186s arriving from the Lewisham direction tended to arrive in threes, with at least one being turned short at the Green and occasionally one at Well Hall Roundabout too. The 186 had a complex garage allocation as I recall which hardly helped matters.

The 54 should never have been cut back from Croydon to Elmers End Green imo just because of Tramlink.

When the longer version of the Routemaster, the RML, was introduced the first route not serving Central London to get the higher capacity buses was the 37, and I remember it as being described as London Transport's most profitable route at the time, though I'm not sure hoe that would stand up to scrutiny. Despite that, L.T.'s appetite for more east to west routes in South London never appeared to be whetted, but inate conservatism probably accounts for that.

NorthKent1989

Established Member
Thank you for being so kind!

I don't think the 186 ever went east of Woolwich, General Gordon Place, with the 122/122A terminating at Woolwich, Earl of Chatham or Thomas Street. The 186 was very prone to disruption too, even though only one in three or four buses operated beyond Crystal Palace to Victoria. I used to stand at Eltham Green outside the long-gone Yorkshire Grey pub observing buses and the 21s and 182s, plus 160s, never seemed to have long gaps, but the 186s arriving from the Lewisham direction tended to arrive in threes, with at least one being turned short at the Green and occasionally one at Well Hall Roundabout too. The 186 had a complex garage allocation as I recall which hardly helped matters.

The 54 should never have been cut back from Croydon to Elmers End Green imo just because of Tramlink.

When the longer version of the Routemaster, the RML, was introduced the first route not serving Central London to get the higher capacity buses was the 37, and I remember it as being described as London Transport's most profitable route at the time, though I'm not sure hoe that would stand up to scrutiny. Despite that, L.T.'s appetite for more east to west routes in South London never appeared to be whetted, but inate conservatism probably accounts for that.

The 37 was a mammoth of a route, can still be done by two changes, 37/337/H37 and I’m suprised that the links still exist.

It’s bizarre that cross South London routes have basically been cut, aside from the 37 & P4 no other route traverses SE to SW London to my knowledge.

The 54 being cut back is still talked about today nearly 25 years after it happened, especially since routes like the 122 which is more difficult to operate still runs a lengthy distance.

I’ll probably add my two cents to the consultation when it happens and suggest a Thamesmead to Clapham route

Snow1964

Established Member
The 37 was a mammoth of a route, can still be done by two changes, 37/337/H37 and I’m suprised that the links still exist.

It’s bizarre that cross South London routes have basically been cut

Used to be some very long cross London Routes, eg 27 Hounslow-Muswell Hill, got shortened to Archway, but at one time had summer Sunday extension to Hampton Court.

The 65 used to run from North Ealing (Argyle Road) to Leatherhead. Can still do roughly that with E2, 65, 465.

Like the 37/337/H37 has slightly different route to old through bus

johncrossley

Established Member
The 54 being cut back is still talked about today nearly 25 years after it happened, especially since routes like the 122 which is more difficult to operate still runs a lengthy distance.

If the tram was there from the beginning, nobody would say "why don't they extend the 54 to Croydon?"