• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Chester and onto Llandudno 29th April

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
When exactly does London Euston shut down over the weekend of Friday 29th April 2022? Is end of service on the Friday?

And so, aren't there still maybe a couple of direct services towards the North Wales coast (i.e. Holyhead) on the Friday? (0910 and 1810).

jfollows

Established Member
We are travelling up to Wales on 29th April and NRE are showing trains running from London Euston but Avanti West Coast says London Euston is closed with no specific advice on alternative travel arrangements

Can anyone help??
To the best of my knowledge, you or Avanti are mistaken, London Euston is not closed on Friday 29 April.

The one through train London-Llandudno Junction can be seen using https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...2-04-29/0000-2359?stp=WVSC&show=all&order=wtt

London-Chester trains (https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...2-04-29/0000-2359?stp=WVSC&show=all&order=wtt) shows the 18:10 to Wrexham as well which splits at Chester and continues to Holyhead via Llandudno Junction.

Otherwise change at Crewe.

Why do you think Avanti says that Euston is closed?
Booked engineering work for that day can be seen at https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/currentAndFuture.aspx?TravelDate=29/04/2022&TOC=

(It is true that the following Monday, 2 May, is a Bank Holiday)
https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/currentAndFuture.aspx?TravelDate=02/05/2022&TOC= shows that Euston is closed 30 April to 2 May inclusive. Not 29 April though.

Last edited:

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
From Avanti's website:

Alterations Friday 29 April 2022​

• 29-04-2022 - 02-05-2022
    Major engineering work at London Euston from Saturday 30 April to Monday 2 May
    Locations Affected:
    Avanti West Coast between London Euston and Birmingham New Street / Crewe / Chester / Holyhead / Liverpool Lime Street / Manchester Piccadilly / Preston / Carlisle / Glasgow Central / Edinburgh
    London Northwestern Railway between London Euston and Birmingham New Street / Crewe / Liverpool Lime Street
    London Overground between London Euston and Watford Junction

jfollows

Established Member
Major engineering work at London Euston from Saturday 30 April to Monday 2 May

To be clear, the engineering work affecting Euston does not start until Saturday 30 April.

This is clearly badly worded, by the way I presume you are referring to https://www.avantiwestcoast.co.uk/travel-information/plan-your-journey/planned-engineering-works for this.

If you click on the link you gave then I agree you incorrectly find:

Dates​

Friday Apr 29, 2022 - Monday May 02, 2022
Engineering work is taking place at various locations between London Euston and Milton Keynes Central, closing all lines.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I think it's an error of scope to include Friday 29th in the "no trains from Euston" dates.
However in the present limited timetable the only through train is 0910 Euston-Holyhead (the 1810 from Euston runs to Chester/Wrexham only).
Otherwise Avanti trains on the North Wales coast start from Crewe, and you need to catch the (usually) xx07 Liverpool services to connect with them at Crewe.

jfollows

Established Member
My wife booked the tickets. No mention of works on Avanti website at the time. Perhaps I should have checked first... We're certainly not going to make the 09.10...

Will there be coaches to Milton Keynes on the Friday?
Sorry, please re-read what we've said, there will be trains running on the Friday. The information you are reading from Avanti is incorrect. The closure of Euston starts from Saturday 30 April and on the date you've given trains will still be running normally.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
My wife booked the tickets. No mention of works on Avanti website at the time. Perhaps I should have checked first... We're certainly not going to make the 09.10...
Will there be coaches to Milton Keynes on the Friday?
What trains are you booked on?
Are the tickets Advance (specific trains) or Off Peak (flexible)?

sonic2009

Established Member
Trains are running on the Friday from London Euston.

If you don't make the 0910 or 1810 direct trains from Euston then services may require just 1 change at Crewe ( 0940,1540 and 1703 from Euston) or 2 changes at Crewe and Chester (1040,1140,1240,1340,1440,1640 and 1740)

You may also be able to get 1 change at Birmingham International but this depends on what type of ticket you have, these services leave Euston at 0943,1143 & 1343.

Generally travelling via Crewe and Chester is quicker.

jfollows

Established Member
The 18:10 from Euston also goes to Llandudno after splitting at Chester, one portion of the train goes to Holyhead via Llandudno so if you're on this train make sure you're in the right (should be the rear) portion at Euston.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Wonder whether the issue might have been occasioned by the requirement for pseudo-compulsory reservations that Avanti seem to insist upon for all/some of their services, affecting in particular the only two direct services operating to North Wales on the Friday before a Bank Holiday weekend?

jfollows

Established Member
Phew, sorry, I obviously misread...

Wife booked Advance singles for the Friday with a change at Crewe/Chester. Coming back on the Tuesday after the bank holiday so avoiding the closure....

Thanks very much
I'm glad we all got there in the end, and your fears are put to bed.
I suspect a number of people are going to be confused by this, like you, but I don't have the enthusiasm to contact Avanti to tell them that they need to correct their Web site!

Status
Not open for further replies.