• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Travel Area

etr221

Something which I have seen mentioned in various posts and elsewhere (it is marked as such on the CTR keyGo map: https://www.thameslinkrailway.com/-...documents/gtr-1805-ret-keygo-area-map-v27.pdf) is the 'London Travel Area' - but what I have been unable to find is any definition of it, saying what is (and is not not) in it.

While I have the impression that it is related to the TfL Oyster/Travelcard Zones, or Greater London area, I would like an exact definition, as to what it is, and what its purpose is.

Can anyone elucidate, or point me at an official source?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hozza94

Upon a quick look, it's definitely not the Oyster/Contactless zone.
For example, Watford Junction and Luton Airport Parkway are both within contactless and not in the pink, while Herford North is.

Veteran Member
Upon a quick look, it's definitely not the Oyster/Contactless zone.
For example, Watford Junction and Luton Airport Parkway are both within contactless and not in the pink, while Herford North is.
It appears to be the numbered Oyster zones 1-9 (as far as they apply to GTR).
An Oyster expert could perhaps explain why Radlett and Potters Bar (Zone 11) and Watford (Zone A) are omitted.
It serves to tell you what fare will apply within it - the same as Oyster/contactless.

Somewhere

Its a term invented by GTR, which means something to someone in GTR, but is meaningless to everyone else.
I suspect it is the area in which the TfL Contactless system coincides with the KeyGo system. So, to the casual passenger, is meaningless

Somewhere

Everything is a term invented by someone.

How so ? I thought the map was making it very clear what stations were included and that they are offering a price match.
Its not valid on services of other operators. What's the point of Anerley and Penge West being on the map when GTR only provide one train a day on weekdays at those stations in each direction?
Whats the point of Guildford being on the map when GTR haven't served Guildford since 2020?
It says its valid on Metrobus and Brighton & Hove buses, when in reality its only valid in the PlusBus areas of that operator? Its misleading and confusing

Veteran Member
Its not valid on services of other operators. What's the point of Anerley and Penge West being on the map when GTR only provide one train a day on weekdays at those stations in each direction?
Because it is valid there (and of course services might be reinstated - which point applies to Guildford too).
Whats the point of Guildford being on the map when GTR haven't served Guildford since 2020?
It says its valid on Metrobus and Brighton & Hove buses, when in reality its only valid in the PlusBus areas of that operator?
As shown diagrammatically on the map.

Somewhere

Because it is valid there (and of course services might be reinstated - which point applies to Guildford too).

As shown diagrammatically on the map.
But why cannot it be used throughout B&H/Metrobus? The map doesn't make it clear. It says its valid, which contradicts what's shown diagrammatically.
Why bother showing the London area at all?

ComUtoR

Established Member
Why bother showing the London area at all?

Its showing the Key Go customers that they are entitled to a price match on fares within that area. They could call it the 'Pink shaded area' or even the 'Keylicious-Zonetastic-G'Oh'Graphic-Pink bit' and it still wouldn't change anything.

matt_world2004

Established Member
The term london travel area is used by tfl and network rail for transport planning purposes, to decide what areas tfl and the mayor of london have influence over outside greater london

I am not sure how it is defined , but it is something like stations outside London where a certain percentage of origin and destination pairs (50%+? ) are to greater london on local non intercity trains . It also includes intermediate stops from the further out origin and destination pair (Eg if Reading fits the criteria of being in the london travel area , but twyford doesnt twyford would still be classed as being in the london travel area)

There is also the london travel to work area which includes intercity trains but focuses on work and education trips only

This map probably does not represent this though

etr221

Sounds like an FoI request called for...

Travel to Work Areas are something that ONS (National Statistics) come up with, based on census data, as areas where most who live, work, and most who work, live. Not I think used by TfL or NR beyond high level planning for the future. Something to note is that 'Slough & Heathrow' forms a different TTWA from London TTWA.

Confused52

Its showing the Key Go customers that they are entitled to a price match on fares within that area. They could call it the 'Pink shaded area' or even the 'Keylicious-Zonetastic-G'Oh'Graphic-Pink bit' and it still wouldn't change anything.
This is the right answer. The text on the map says "Where your journeys occur within the London travel area, we will Price Match with the equivalent Oyster zone day fare or Travelcard price"

It might have been clearer as

Where your journeys occur within the area shown as the "London travel area" on this map, Key-Go will Price Match with the equivalent Oyster zone day fare or Travelcard price

The definition of London Travel Area for the purposes of this map is on the map!