• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground Announcer Stuart Organ has died.

I have just read on the BBC website that an actor called Stuart Organ has died (RIP).

I had never heard of him, but it was mentioned that he was the announcer for the London Underground. It was him who announced "Mind the gap", as well as announcing lines and stations

I must have heard his voice hundreds of times without realising who he was.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

THC

He also played Mr Robson, the PE teacher and later headmaster, in the long-running children's TV programme "Grange Hill". RIP

THC

stadler

Here is the full article:

Stuart Organ: Longest-serving Grange Hill actor dies aged 72​

• Published
      2 days ago
Stuart Organ as Mr Robson in Grange Hill

Image caption,

Organ was the longest-serving cast member on the children's TV drama, playing PE teacher Mr Robson

By Annabel Rackham
Culture reporter

Grange Hill star Stuart Organ has died aged of 72, his representatives have confirmed.

The British actor was the longest-serving cast member on the children's TV drama, playing Mr Robson.

Organ, who started his acting career in Leeds in 1975, also appeared in the soap Brookside and Doctor Who.

His other credits include Casualty, The Bill and Holby City and films such as Those Glory Glory Days and Fork In The Road.

The actor "died peacefully at home after a short illness", it was announced on Friday.

Organ will be best remembered for his 15-year stint on the BBC's Grange Hill, where his character Peter Robson arrived as the head of PE in 1988, going on to take the headmaster role 10 years later.

The show, which was about life in a London comprehensive school, ran from 1978 to 2008 and made headlines for tackling big issues such as racism, drug abuse, teenage pregnancy, mental illness and HIV and Aids.

The actor decided to leave the series in 2003 after it was announced that production was moving to Liverpool.

Grange Hill made household names of characters such as Zammo McGuire, played by Lee MacDonald, and Tucker Jenkins, played by Todd Carty.
Stuart Organ in Doctors

Image caption,

Stuart Organ in a 2016 episode of Doctors

In 2022, creator Sir Phil Redmond spoke about the show returning as a film.
Organ's other memorable roles include playing Kevin Cross in the Merseyside soap Brookside and Bazin in the Doctor Who plotline Dragonfire in 1987.

He began his acting career at Leeds Playhouse in 1975 in a performance of Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead, a spin-off of William Shakespeare's Hamlet.

His other theatre roles include An Englishman Abroad, where he played Guy Burgess in a 2003 production in York and Major Powell in the play Corpse, which he performed in Hornchurch in 2007.

Whilst a younger audience may have not seen him act, they may have heard his voice elsewhere - he has appeared as the voiceover on cartoons and video games, such as Star Wars: The Old Republic.

He is also a familiar voice to London Underground passengers, announcing stations, lines, late arrivals and telling users to mind the gap.

I am rather baffled by this part:

He is also a familiar voice to London Underground passengers, announcing stations, lines, late arrivals and telling users to mind the gap.

I can not think of what he has voiced. We know the names of most of the London Underground voices and his name has never come up once. The only thing i can think of is that he is one of the old unknown Mind The Gap voices used at stations. But then it says he also announced stations and lines and late arrivals as well. I am not aware of any unknown male voice doing that. So i am a bit baffled as to where on the London Underground his voice was actually used.

londonbridge

Established Member
So i am a bit baffled as to where on the London Underground his voice was actually used.
Snap! I remembered him from Grange Hill, but I also can’t think of where I might have heard him on the tube.

Trackman

Established Member
Snap! I remembered him from Grange Hill, but I also can’t think of where I might have heard him on the tube.
Puzzled here too.. The only one I can think of that sounds like him is 'Mind the gap, please' on the Piccadilly line. I'm sure it's not Phil Sayer.
Anyway, RIP Mr. Robson aka Stuart Organ. Will be missed.