• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Long-distance coaches in Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groningen

Established Member
Sunday 2nd of August (my birthday) will see the ending of the Public Express between Groningen, Oldenburg and Bremen. PE blaims it on cheap railtickets, but there are now also other buscompanies present here. 1 bus takes you from Groningen to Muenchen (Munich). Departing at around 15.30 and you arrive at 8 in Bavaria. It is seems to be only on Friday.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dutchflyer

Established Member
Just completed a Megabus overnight trip from Munich ZOB (depart 23.00) to Berlin ZOB (arrive 08.45). For €7.50 nothing I could really complain about, however I did think the timings seemed a little long. .

Did it the other way just a few days before you-in my InterRail-for 1,50-introduction. Just a few days ago, Berlin-DOrtmund for EUR8,50. Went to Berlin on a 19 eur special summerdeal on DB-IC.
Its simply a kind of split-off of the long established (and very flourishing-thanks to the high prices and low quality of PKP)- POLSKIbus. Both times had 2 Polski drivers- 1 being the interpreter.
As MEGA is quite unknown in Deutschland, loadings are not very big. It will now however show up on airline-style fare-compares-sites for fernbusse, like fahrtenfuchs.de or busliniensuche.de (I think up till now only in german).
As a complete aside: Mega has now also opened routes into Italy.

radamfi

Established Member
Do the drivers of MeinFernbus/Flixbus and Public Express who drive between the Netherlands and Germany speak Dutch or only German?

WestCoast

Established Member
Do the drivers of MeinFernbus/Flixbus and Public Express who drive between the Netherlands and Germany speak Dutch or only German?

I think it depends on the operator with MFB-F. I travelled Bad Oeynhausen to Amsterdam on MFB earlier this year and the operator was a German company (the name escapes me). The driver made detailed announcements in German, with decent summaries in English, absolutely sufficient for any Dutch passengers. I believe they have some Dutch operators (like Bakker Reizen on the X31 Amsterdam - Berlin), so that is probably a different story.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Did it the other way just a few days before you-in my InterRail-for 1,50-introduction. Just a few days ago, Berlin-DOrtmund for EUR8,50. Went to Berlin on a 19 eur special summerdeal on DB-IC.
Its simply a kind of split-off of the long established (and very flourishing-thanks to the high prices and low quality of PKP)- POLSKIbus. Both times had 2 Polski drivers- 1 being the interpreter.
As MEGA is quite unknown in Deutschland, loadings are not very big. It will now however show up on airline-style fare-compares-sites for fernbusse, like fahrtenfuchs.de or busliniensuche.de (I think up till now only in german).
As a complete aside: Mega has now also opened routes into Italy.

Megabus Germany GmbH has opened depots in Munich and Hannover so I'm guessing the plan is to build up the route network even further.

WestCoast

Established Member
Earlier in the thread the high speed minibus between Munich and Berlin was mentioned, taking advantage of the lack of speed limits on parts of the German Autobahn network:

http://www.matzes-minibus.de/

Postbus are copying the concept, using 9 seat minibuses between Aachen and Frankfurt Airport, making the journey in 2 hours 45 minutes.

https://www.postbus.de/Schnellbus-Postbus-Sprinter/

Interesting concept with free Wifi and complimentary refreshments on a minibus. Postbus is the highest quality operator IME.

Status
Not open for further replies.