• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Longest point to point journey only using one TOC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
I've been looking at the Northern Rail network map and having fun looking at the most tortuous journeys one can have and the longest I think is Barton-on-Humber to Whitby. I doubt anyone on here has done it however.

Can anyone better or worsen it? :P
Anyone ever stuck to one TOC to do similarly long-winded trips ie: Kyle of Lochalsh/Wick - Mallaig/Stranraer, XC Aberdeen - Penzance?

Mods: probably needs to go into General Discussion now I've hit Enter! *headdesk*

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Barton-on-Humber to Whitby on Northern would require travel on a Saturday via Sheffield, Leeds, Carlisle, Newcastle, Middlesbrough. That won't be longer than the Aberdeen - Penzance journey in terms of distance, however it is argubly the most 'tortuous'.

Mallaig - Kyle of Lochalsh via rail would be extremely time consuming, the average speed is slow.

So it does really depend on how you define it, e.g. most complex, most overall mileage, worst travelled mileage to crow flies mileage ratio, or the longest time.

Gathursty

Established Member
I think it would be number of changes and speed of train that underpins my question. Northern has the problem of no East Coast Mainline service to complete the 'rectangle' for the points of Newcastle, Leeds, Preston and Carlisle. Taking a brief look at other TOC coverage maps, they seem to be linear with some branches with some exceptions such as Northern Rail, ATW and Scotrail.

Thanks mods, I didn't know about these forums. :idea:

4SRKT

Established Member
what about Mallaig-Euston, Kyle-Euston, Wick/Thurso-Euston or Inverness-Euston via Aberdeen, all on Scotrail?

Or even Thurso > Wick via Euston. That's going to take some beating TBH. Not possible Wick > Thurso via Euston as Thurso would be the second stop!

gnolife

Established Member
Or even Thurso > Wick via Euston. That's going to take some beating TBH. Not possible Wick > Thurso via Euston as Thurso would be the second stop!

By that argument I could Have Glasgow Central to Edinburgh Waverley via Cleethorpes and Northallerton

or Newquay to Penzance via Aberdeen, Glasgow Central, Birmingham New St, Man Picc and Southampton Central!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Don't forget I have done the Euston - Thurso trip then a taxi to Wick via Groats and then Wick - Euston.....

If you extend it from TOC to owning group, bear in mind that the trip in question started and finished at Penzance...

Eagle

Established Member
Brighton to London by First Great Western via Southampton, Westbury & Reading?

Why stop there? Why not Brighton to London via Southampton, Westbury, Taunton, Weston, Bristol, Swindon, Cheltenham, Worcester, Oxford and Reading? Or even Brighton to Gatwick if you go through Guildford too...

Last edited:

SwindonPkwy

Eagle:808736 said:
Why stop there? Why not Brighton to London via Southampton, Westbury, Taunton, Weston, Bristol, Swindon, Cheltenham, Worcester, Oxford and Reading? Or even Brighton to Gatwick if you go through Guildford too...

How long would that take? My fondness for FGW is probably greater than most, but even so! I'd do it for charity, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.