• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LSL announce Pacer railtour

Status
Not open for further replies.

PacerTrain142

On Moderation
Someone did a video of the tour here:

It was fully booked, and yes, all of the 2+3 bench seating was occupied. The guard at one point actually asked people to remove their bags from the seats so people could sit down.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I hope at least a few people saw "Charter Train" on the boards at some of the stations it called at and went to the platform expecting to see a rake of MK1s or something just to be surprised by an Orange Pacer.

Seems like a typical pacer journey
- Developed a fault
- Leaked
- Crowded

8A Rail

Established Member
I hope at least a few people saw "Charter Train" on the boards at some of the stations it called at and went to the platform expecting to see a rake of MK1s or something just to be surprised by an Orange Pacer.

Seems like a typical pacer journey
- Developed a fault
- Leaked
- Crowded
Just need sticking doors too and yesteryear was re-created in its entirety. Some things just don't change! :lol: :lol:

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Cant ever remember being on a pacer that leaked or had it’s doors stuck. Guess I just got lucky?
It was very common for me that whenever a pacer was caught in bad weather, it would leak onto specifically my brother (Happened at least 3 times)
And what is a wheel flat?
(From my understanding) wheels are supposed to be round, after it slipped in a tunnel (According to the video you shared in #151), the wheel ended up slightly less round, which is where the noticeable noise comes from at points in the journey where it is being problematic.
This can be a risk depending on how fast the train is expected to go and how bad the wheel flat is, but for 142003 it seems to have been fine to continue in a louder state.

Purple Train

Established Member
(From my understanding) wheels are supposed to be round
That's my understanding as well :lol:
after it slipped in a tunnel (According to the video you shared in #151), the wheel ended up slightly less round, which is where the noticeable noise comes from at points in the journey where it is being problematic.
This can be a risk depending on how fast the train is expected to go and how bad the wheel flat is, but for 142003 it seems to have been fine to continue in a louder state.
To be a touch more specific, there's a particular risk of a "false flange" developing, where the wheel is flattened in the middle but there's a raised (i.e. un-flattened) lip on the outer edge. This can be a problem at pointwork - for instance, in the case of the freight train derailment at Morlais Junction near Llangennech. I'm no engineer so I'm not au fait with all the potential risks, but that's one.

PacerTrain142

On Moderation
On some of the reviews on TripAdvisor of the Wensleydale railway, some people described the pacer trains as having “square wheels” becuase of the bouncyness.

Ianigsy

I just wonder how many people waiting for their trains en route saw it and thought, “Bloody hell, I thought they got rid of those! ".

12LDA28C

Established Member
(From my understanding) wheels are supposed to be round, after it slipped in a tunnel (According to the video you shared in #151), the wheel ended up slightly less round, which is where the noticeable noise comes from at points in the journey where it is being problematic.

As another poster commented, it was ok to continue but at a reduced speed of 50mph. A really bad wheel flat would render a train unfit to move and it would need to have a wheel skate fitted to return to a maintenance facility for a visit to the wheel lathe.

1Q18

On some of the reviews on TripAdvisor of the Wensleydale railway, some people described the pacer trains as having “square wheels” becuase of the bouncyness.
That was definitely not the case on the railtour. It was fine until the unit skidded and created a flat spot on one of the wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.