• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Major Diversions on Bus routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Hi everyone.
Last month a lorry driver ignored a warning for high sided vehicles crossing the Humber Bridge, the empty lorry then got blown over in strong winds and forced the closure of the bridge for around 10 hours.
This posed a problem for the Humber Flyer (Cleethorpes to Hull) and the Humber Fastcat (Hull to Scunthorpe) which use the bridge.
Anyway the bus operators quickly decided to run the Humber Fastcat via the M18 from the Scunthorpe end and terminate the Humber Flyer at Barton for connections. This was a great help for people trying to get home.

My question is, what is the biggest, slowest, or strangest diversionary route your bus has taken? (Rail Replacement buses are excluded)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The 108 Stratford-Lewisham bus (running 24 hours) I believe diverts all the way via Tower Bridge when the Blackwall Tunnel is shut for overnight maintenance.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Hi everyone.
Last month a lorry driver ignored a warning for high sided vehicles crossing the Humber Bridge, the empty lorry then got blown over in strong winds and forced the closure of the bridge for around 10 hours.
This posed a problem for the Humber Flyer (Cleethorpes to Hull) and the Humber Fastcat (Hull to Scunthorpe) which use the bridge.
Anyway the bus operators quickly decided to run the Humber Fastcat via the M18 from the Scunthorpe end and terminate the Humber Flyer at Barton for connections. This was a great help for people trying to get home.

My question is, what is the biggest, slowest, or strangest diversionary route your bus has taken? (Rail Replacement buses are excluded)

Not quite....

Years ago, I was travelling from Shepton Mallet to Frome on 161. There was a serious RTA (I think a fatality) just outside of Shepton and there was no way we could progress nor swing the First Dennis Dart round in the road.

I started walking back towards Shepton and a middle aged lady in a car stuck in the stream of traffic asked me what was happening. I explained - she then asked me if I knew how she could drive to Trowbridge? My solution was to offer (she was suspicious but agreed - realised I wasn't an axe murderer) to get in and navigate her to near Radstock. I got out at Radstock and then directed her towards Trowbridge!

I then continued with my First Day ticket

SCH117X

Established Member
Transdev Blazefield all too often due to accidents or flooding have to take significant diversions with 36 between Harrogate and Leeds, via Wetherby the A1 and the A64 being about the most extreme.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The 108 Stratford-Lewisham bus (running 24 hours) I believe diverts all the way via Tower Bridge when the Blackwall Tunnel is shut for overnight maintenance.

Yes, and day can run into night should you be determined enough to try and make that whole journey, especially if you factor in waiting an hour for a bus at Stratford in the first place (please understand, I am a stoic and not at all bitter.:))

sng7

When the Forth Road bridge was closed in December (and when it close due to high winds) Buses had to go via Kincardine adding over 30 miles to the journey

Liam

Established Member
When the Tay Road Bridge is closed to all traffic, St Andrews-Dundee services are diverted via Perth, extending the journey by about 40 miles, and a little more if the Friarton Bridge is closed too.

Status
Not open for further replies.