• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Airport to Stockport service in the 90s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mspljd1990

I remember travelling back from Manchester Airport circa 1999, and when waiting for my train back to Leeds, there was another train going to Stockport via Manchester Piccadilly, operated by First North Western. It used a Class 150/1 in the old blue Regional Railways livery.

Does anyone else remember this route? I don't recall seeing anything about it since, and Northern certainly don't operate a route like it now.

Or am I just imagining things?:lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Richard P

Not sure if my response will help as it's a little vague but around that time having been to the races at Southwell I got on a train at Rolleston that was headed to Manchester Piccadilly. It took forever to get back to Manchester (I remember for example if stopping at Long Eaton) and in the end after about 3 1/2 hours of tortuous travel I gave up, decamped at the Airport and jumped in a cab home. No sure where the service originated from (potentially Newark or Lincoln?) and at the time it seemed better than changing trains at Nottingham, oh now wrong is was!

Veteran Member
Not sure if my response will help as it's a little vague but around that time having been to the races at Southwell I got on a train at Rolleston that was headed to Manchester Piccadilly. It took forever to get back to Manchester (I remember for example if stopping at Long Eaton) and in the end after about 3 1/2 hours of tortuous travel I gave up, decamped at the Airport and jumped in a cab home. No sure where the service originated from (potentially Newark or Lincoln?) and at the time it seemed better than changing trains at Nottingham, oh now wrong is was!
Sounds like the Nottingham-Derby-Crewe-Airport route.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I remember travelling back from Manchester Airport circa 1999, and when waiting for my train back to Leeds, there was another train going to Stockport via Manchester Piccadilly, operated by First North Western. It used a Class 150/1 in the old blue Regional Railways livery.

Does anyone else remember this route? I don't recall seeing anything about it since, and Northern certainly don't operate a route like it now.

Or am I just imagining things?:lol:

Is there any chance that you could have mistaken what was displayed on the destination blind and it was actually showing SOUTHPORT rather than STOCKPORT? There was a regular service running to the seaside resort by then which would have been operated by a mixture of First Northwestern Class 142 or 150 etc. The only other service as far as I can recall that ran by way of Stockport in those days was the Cleethorpes as still runs currently, although back then I think it was Northern Spirit.

Richard P

It could've have been Nottingham-Derby-Crewe-Airport route but the train originated somewhere East of Nottingham as I got on at Rolleston - it is a few years ago and maybe the train terminated at the airport - I do remember getting a cab home from there

Ianno87

Veteran Member
It could've have been Nottingham-Derby-Crewe-Airport route but the train originated somewhere East of Nottingham as I got on at Rolleston - it is a few years ago and maybe the train terminated at the airport - I do remember getting a cab home from there

No, that crazy service originated from Skegvegas (Skegness), so would've gone via Grantham, not via Rolleston/Lincoln, presumably?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Is there any chance that you could have mistaken what was displayed on the destination blind and it was actually showing SOUTHPORT rather than STOCKPORT? There was a regular service running to the seaside resort by then which would have been operated by a mixture of First Northwestern Class 142 or 150 etc. The only other service as far as I can recall that ran by way of Stockport in those days was the Cleethorpes as still runs currently, although back then I think it was Northern Spirit.

The Airport-Southport service was introduced in May 1998, so that timeline makes sense.

I do not recall there ever being an Airport-Stockport service, other than the Airport-Cleethorpes service*

*For a while when first introduced, this was pick up/set down only at Stockport for some reason, so couldn't actually be used for Stockport-Piccadilly/Airport journeys

Failed Unit

Established Member
By 1996 I don’t think any of the 150/1 were still in regional railways livery.

The central trains ones were all in “centro” from the early 1990s. The ones in the North West were in a grey livery by then. But of course some stragglers may have existed.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
By 1996 I don’t think any of the 150/1 were still in regional railways livery.

The central trains ones were all in “centro” from the early 1990s. The ones in the North West were in a grey livery by then. But of course some stragglers may have existed.

I have a feeling some of the very high numbered ones possibly 150148/149/150 did manage to retain it until possibly the end of the 90s though I haven't found any photographic evidence to prove this as yet, just a hazy distant memory.

MichaelAMW

No, that crazy service originated from Skegvegas (Skegness), so would've gone via Grantham, not via Rolleston/Lincoln, presumably?

I've checked the timetable archive and, you are right (and I recalled), the main service was Skeg - Nottingham - Derby - Crewe - Airport. However, in 1999 there was a single service that started at Newark rather than Skegness, at around 5pm. It was booked fast Newark - Nottingham but perhaps it had a race-day stop added on the occasion in question.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I've checked the timetable archive and, you are right (and I recalled), the main service was Skeg - Nottingham - Derby - Crewe - Airport. However, in 1999 there was a single service that started at Newark rather than Skegness, at around 5pm. It was booked fast Newark - Nottingham but perhaps it had a race-day stop added on the occasion in question.

But Rolleston is on the wrong side of Newark, so that wouldn't make sense?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I have a feeling some of the very high numbered ones possibly 150148/149/150 did manage to retain it until possibly the end of the 90s though I haven't found any photographic evidence to prove this as yet, just a hazy distant memory.

Could it have been a /2? Some of those definitely did.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Yes, remember several of those /2 variants retaining RR livery but I'm sure a couple of /1s did too.

Just had a thought, the possible reason the above mentioned /1s retained RR livery so late is that they were repainted relatively late on from the original Provincial livery they first appeared in, hence the RR livery was still in good condition in the mid-late 90s, seem to remember they were distinguished by oversized unit numbers at each end also.

Altfish

An Airport to Stockport service would be a waste of time. Something like 50% of the trains leaving Piccadilly go to Stockport; so an Airport - Piccadilly service would be very well served with connections.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
An Airport to Stockport service would be a waste of time. Something like 50% of the trains leaving Piccadilly go to Stockport; so an Airport - Piccadilly service would be very well served with connections.

And something like 4 or 6 buses an hour that run directly via the M56/M60 in about 15 minutes!

Status
Not open for further replies.