• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Marston Vale Circular

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazthomas

Established Member
Today I decided to do a Marston Vale circular trip, starting from St. Albans City and returning to St. Albans Abbey. It had been 15 years since my last trip along this rural backwater from Bedford to Bletchley so I was eager to see what had changed.

Before that I had to endure an Uno no. 658 bus from Napsbury into St. Albans. £3.80 for a relatively short return I feel is expensive and as others say, people in London have "never had it so good".

I was "lucky" as I was able to get a late running Thameslink service (no change there!) northwards which would give me only a few minutes waiting time in Bedford. I checked the times and realised I could speed up my arrival in Bedford by changing to an East Midlands Service at Luton. This turned out to be a good decision as on the way up I realised I had purchased an "out and back" ticket to Ridgmont from the machine rather than a ticket that would allow me to return via Bletchley and Watford Junction.

After a short queue at the booking office in sunny Bedford a very nice member of booking staff excessed my ticket, allowing me to go via Bletchley and Watford Junction. At £23 without railcards I think this isn't a bad off-peak fare.

Having taken some photos at Bedford I got on a clean and well presented 150107 for the trip to Bletchley. By this time sun had changed to torrential rain so I was happy to be on the Sprinter. The landscape south and west of Bedford had changed a lot since I last travelled this way - the brick industry appears long gone and vast swathes of empty land are being replaced by endless streets of new housing.

Arrival at Bletchley was on time. I however had no time to visit Bletchley Park, home of the "code breakers", but I did have to pop into the centre of Bletchley. What a bleak place. Like Hatfield in Hertfordshire but even less charming!

I left Bletchley on a Southern service to Watford Junction. Again a well presented train. At Watford Junction I then walked to the offset platform 11 to take my last train of the day to St. Albans Abbey Station. 319433 was very quiet but again in good condition. I arrived at the Abbey on time, then strolled up the hill to the city centre to get another Uno "bone shaker" back home.

Overall a great day - one of contrasts, the survival of the Marston Vale line always surprises me, though in coming years it will have a new lease of life as part of the East-West line.

I am indebted to the booking office staff member at Bedford for fixing my ticket - that will teach me!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounded like a nice little round trip, good news on the ticket office being able to change your ticket to allow the round trip :)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Overall a great day - one of contrasts, the survival of the Marston Vale line always surprises me, though in coming years it will have a new lease of life as part of the East-West line.

It survived because of the brick works and the MASSIVE hole in the ground that was filled with 30 years of Londons waste ;) ( there were at least 3 attempts at closure over the years )

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It survived because of the brick works and the MASSIVE hole in the ground that was filled with 30 years of Londons waste ;) ( there were at least 3 attempts at closure over the years )

It survived Beeching as a passenger service because United Counties refused to operate a replacement bus service.

gazthomas

Established Member
Sounds like fun. Pitty the Abby Flyer is so quiet, it was when I did it a month ago 2.

On arrival at St. Albans there were quite a few people about to board, helped by the end of the school day and people leaving early from work. There were 4 members of staff including driver, guard and 2 revenue protection officers!

Last edited:

westcoaster

Established Member
On arrival at St. Albans there were quite a few people about to board, helped by the end of the school day and people leaving early from work. There were 4 members of staff including driver, guard and 2 revenue protection officers!

The conductor on the branch could have done the excess on the train, no need to que at the ticket office.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
£3.80 return from Napsbury to the station is a bargain - it's £3.80 return from Morrisons on Hatfield Rd to the station, a distance of about 3/4 mile each way!

gazthomas

Established Member
£3.80 return from Napsbury to the station is a bargain - it's £3.80 return from Morrisons on Hatfield Rd to the station, a distance of about 3/4 mile each way!

That's outrageous. If you can walk it's probably not much slower to walk, but if that isn't an option then yes, £3.80 is very steep!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
If you ever get time to alight on the Marston Vale, I recommend Stewartby. It's a model village built for the brickworks and is a magnificent piece of planning. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stewartby

It is a nice village - the older houses are quite sort after but it is noting that IF the proposed development of the brickworks site ever comes off the character of the village will change vastly. At present i think Kimberley College (?) is a sole isolated occupier of the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.