• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Northerngirl

You know what I find interesting and only just realised. The 777s don’t have the orange door indicator on the outside. Are there any other units without this operating ?
I noticed that the other day too, they do however have a lighbar above the door that seems to do a similar job

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Liverpool 507

I noticed that the other day too, they do however have a lighbar above the door that seems to do a similar job
That’s only on one side where the doors are released so is no good of you’re on the opposite side

Monday 22nd - Three failures this morning on the Southport line within an hour of each other (777009, 777034 and 777049). Two further failures this afternoon on the Southport and West Kirby lines - (777014 SOP/HNX & 777008 WKI).

Some of the above have been in service well over a year and should be well bedded in by now. Not good.

Last edited:

Established Member
That’s only on one side where the doors are released so is no good of you’re on the opposite side

Monday 22nd - Three failures this morning on the Southport line within an hour of each other (777009, 777034 and 777049). Two further failures this afternoon on the Southport and West Kirby lines - (777014 SOP/HNX & 777008 WKI).

Some of the above have been in service well over a year and should be well bedded in by now. Not good.
And what were the failures? This could have happened to a train that could have been in service 5-10 years?

Established Member
The point being that these trains are still plagued with technical issues.
I’ve spent many a day riding these, many a day spotting at stations they service, also using these for commute and social reasons , and yes there are delays, however other the last few months I’ve observed many hours where the trains run exactly to time, and the delays I did witness were due to external factors, ie trespass, track issues etc.
Plagued with problems may be slightly stretching reality.

prod_pep

Established Member
Plagued with problems may be slightly stretching reality.
I really don't think so. There are still multiple failures of 777s on a daily basis due to faults. A cursory glance of Merseyrail's Twitter feed betrays this fact, and some early morning and late evening failures are not even shown on there. Things are a tad better but it's glacial progress in the main.

And no, the old 507s are not immune from failure, yet their reliability is vastly superior.