• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Micklehurst Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike57

Established Member
A bit of a 'what if' this,

Not sure if this is the right forum...

If the Micklehurst line had survived would it solve the problems of Trans Pennine capacity between Stalybridge and the Standedge Tunnel, Stoppers use current line, Non stop trains would use Micklehurst line.

Although built for goods trains was the alignment suitable for 60mph+ passenger running. Could it have been repurposed.

I realise that too much of the infrastructure has gone to make resurrecting possible so its just a what if situation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
I travelled over the Micklehurst loop several times before it was closed on express trains between Leeds City and Manchester Exchange, so it was certainly built to "express" standards.

Indeed, had the single-track bores through Standedge been retained, along with four-tracking down the Colne Valley to Huddersfield. there would now be much more capacity over this section, although lower speeds between Marsden and Huddersfield as the remaining two lines were religned after the section was de-quadrified.

And, had the Leeds New Line been retained between Bradley and Farnley Junction, we would now have four-tracks between Stalybridge and the outskirts of Leeds.

If only........

plarailfan

I have often wondered if fast passenger trains would be able to rush through the rather restricted, single bores, due to the air turbulence it might create, while passing through standedge tunnel.
The Micklehurst loop would almost certainly be considered as part of the "Northern powerhouse" project and High speed Manchester - Leeds link, but whether it would have been re-opened is hard to say. Pity it's been gradually eroded and destroyed !
Micklehurst would probably be a useful line for freight and passenger stoppers were it open today, as the TPE services could, at least hurtle, unhindered, along the present route through Greenfield and Mossley.
The Leeds new line between Bradley and Farnley would be great for commuters with a Leeds orienated, "park & ride" station at Jct 27 Birstall / IKEA, but the curving and hilly route would not be ideal for the excellent speed capability of the 185 units.
Housing has been built on much of the "new line" and some form of re-opening is badly needed now.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I've wondered many times whether the stopping services would have been better routed via Micklehurst, though having looked at it a few years ago I agree with others above that reinstatement is a no-hoper. It would have served Uppermill, unlike the surviving route which only had a halt up a steep hill, and a Greenfield station could have been actually in the village rather than even more remote and elevated. However Micklehurst itself is a smaller settlement than Mossley and not really close enough to claim to serve both.

furnessvale

Established Member
I have often wondered if fast passenger trains would be able to rush through the rather restricted, single bores, due to the air turbulence it might create, while passing through standedge tunnel.

Fast passenger trains certainly rush through the down fast single bore tunnel at Linslade a bit further south.

neonison

A lot of the infrastructure has gone and some of it built over - such as Saddleworth Leisure Centre - but there is ample room for a Diggle Park & Ride which would help and mitigate some of the losses associated with the proposed skip-stop schedule.

Buspilot

The two that immediately come to mind are Greenfield and Micklehurst viaducts.

I've now done some research using Jeffrey Well's book, Miles Platting to Diggle via Ashton. Starting at Stalybridge, there was the Spring Grove Viaduct, which had seven arches of between 24 to 26 feet span each and a 64 foot metal girder span at Staley and Millbrook. Then the Micklehurst Viaduct, 15 arches , 243 yards long. Next came the Friezland Viaduct of twelve brick arches and 187 yards long. On to Greenfield firstly there was a 16 brick arch viaduct of 242 yards with a brick single span bridge spanning the road immediately after. All demolished.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The Micklehurst loop would almost certainly be considered as part of the "Northern powerhouse" project and High speed Manchester - Leeds link, but whether it would have been re-opened is hard to say. Pity it's been gradually eroded and destroyed !
Micklehurst would probably be a useful line for freight and passenger stoppers were it open today, as the TPE services could, at least hurtle, unhindered, along the present route through Greenfield and Mossley.
The Leeds new line between Bradley and Farnley would be great for commuters with a Leeds orienated, "park & ride" station at Jct 27 Birstall / IKEA, but the curving and hilly route would not be ideal for the excellent speed capability of the 185 units.
Housing has been built on much of the "new line" and some form of re-opening is badly needed now.

I'd have thought a hilly route would be meat and drink to the 185s, in fact it's one of the reasons they're so overpowered and overweight for pretty much anywhere other than the TPE mainlines.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
There's also two tunnels on the route that will need reboring as one has been landscaped over whilst the other has since been landscaped over at its southern end but the northern end has been left as a cave and is probably home to bats.

Status
Not open for further replies.