• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Midland Metro-Interview to be a tram driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

gord

Hello!

Wasn't sure if this should go in here or the job forum...but seeing it's not really rail related thought it might be best in here. Please move if not.

I have managed to get an interview to become a tram driver for Midland Metro. To be honest, seeing I'm just coming out of a 10 year teaching career and this is my first exploration into working in public transport, I'm thrilled to bits to just to get this far. I had given myself a 3-5 year transition period from teaching into working on public transport and am amazed I've got my first interview within the 1st month of trying. So whatever happens I'm very happy! This is the other thing that I have always wanted to do in my life other than teaching. Well I've been building up my qualifications to and done teaching since I left school and I'm 36 now...so it feels right to make that jump. Very proud of my teaching career but I've taken it as far as I want. I'm currently a supply teacher so I've got the flexibility to look into new things. Am happy to keep doing supply work until something comes up. Even thought about volunteering on the SVR to get some experience.

Anyway, anyone have any ideas what the Midland Metro interview consists of? They didn't give any clues in the letter (and I understand if someone does know and isn't allowed to say!)

Also, what kind of salary are they on? It wasn't confirmed on the job advert. To be honest, I'm not overly worried over this bit as job satisfaction means far more to me than a large salary.

Thanks in advance for your help. Expecting the next part of the selection process to be very tough but it's going to be an amazing and valuable experience for me...will give me a good insight into my new direction!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dvboy

Established Member
Don't bother mentioning any customer service skills, you won't need them in that job.

gord

Just had the interview. Fantastic experience. Lovely people there too. Made me feel so at ease!

Was told I gave an excellent interview. However, what will go against me is that it's a numbers game. More high calibre candidates than positions available. going to be a very tough decision for them they said. It'll only take for one or two to give slightly better answers than I did.

Can rest in the knowledge that whatever happens, I couldn't have done more. And I know that my approach to my applications and interviews is good. So even though I still think I have a slim chance, there's so much I can take away from it. Will have to keep upping my game...it's a tough field of competitors for jobs like this obviously.

Last edited:

gord

Why ? - the driver has no contact with the pubic.

Actually, the drivers are conductor trained and are expected to take on some conductor duties. Also changing ends...you would be expected to help the passengers.

What I was told anyway...

UPDATE:
Thank you for moving this. Wasn't sure this would be relevant in the rail section.

I did get the job...subject to medical of course...which hopefully should be ok.

Pleased as punch!

Last edited:

gord

Start tomorrow!

Looking forward (and a bit aprehensive!) to seeing what the next few weeks holds in store. I love learning new things though so hoping I'll enjoy it!

martin2345uk

Established Member
Start tomorrow!

Looking forward (and a bit aprehensive!) to seeing what the next few weeks holds in store. I love learning new things though so hoping I'll enjoy it!

Good luck!

Do let us know how it all goes, I for one find it all very interesting and would love to be a tram driver :)

Status
Not open for further replies.