• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Missing Ranger/Rover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainfanatic

Planning to follow in Michael Portillo's footsteps and travel the West Highland line picking up a suitable Rover/Ranger at Berwick. I'm pretty sure there was one that covered the scottish central belt from Carlisle/Berwick to Mallaig but can't seem to put my hand on it just now.....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Planning to follow in Michael Portillo's footsteps and travel the West Highland line picking up a suitable Rover/Ranger at Berwick. I'm pretty sure there was one that covered the scottish central belt from Carlisle/Berwick to Mallaig but can't seem to put my hand on it just now.....

I believe that the Freedom of Scotland rover is available from both Carlisle and Berwick. In any case, there's a list of rovers available at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/rangers_and_rovers.html

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Last edited:

Unless it is printed on the ticket, it is valid on all TOC's service over the validity area. Look it up in the NRCoC, under the 'Validity of Tickets' section :smile:

Its this note in the leaflet/website that had me thinking otherwise.

'Travel between Glasgow Central and Edinburgh Waverley/Haymarket via Shotts is on Scotrail services only.

Travel is not vaild on rail services run by other operators.'

That suggests its ok for travel on the EC services Edinburgh to Kirkcaldy/Stirling.

harz99

The Highland Rover is valid from Glasgow and Aberdeen going north

According to the map it's also available from Aviemore and as well as north, to the west to Kyle of Localsh.

Just can't use it to get fom Glasgow/Edinburgh to Aviemore or Aberdeen by train, but can from Fort William to Inverness on Scottish Citylink coaches.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

The Freedom of Scotland Travelpass is the one; be aware though that Priv discount is not available (unless things have changed recently) due to the high amount of bus/coach/ferry travel available either discounted or in the cost. It may be cheaper for you if you have Priv facilities to simply buy a week ALR.

trainfanatic

Thanks for the lively discussion. I'm a long retired Signalman and only have a Senior railcard for discounted train travel.

You are right, it is the 4 in 8 FOS Rover I need, covering the whole of Scotland (although I'm unlikely to use it to get up ther far north...

Status
Not open for further replies.