• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML Electrification: progress updates

Bob Buckler

Is the picture "Wellingborough, approaching from the north" really Wellingborough?

I didn't think electric trains were running yet!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richieb1971

Established Member
Just thought I ask as the first bridge to the immediate north of Bedford doesn't look like it has the clearances for OHL but the next one in the distance does.

The Bromham road bridge you speak of is the one built probably close to 100 years ago or more. Its currently being replaced. Sometimes the road is closed, but right now its one way traffic. As I understand it some wiring and underground pipes are being re-routed before they remove the road bridge completely. The replacement will be of a kind that allows OHLE to go underneath it. I believe this to be the last bridge on the new unwired section be to be replaced. I assume there was no hurry since the connection of live wires will be done right about at that point and that will be the last thing to do. I'm going over it tonight on the way home from work, but from what I have seen so far the verges to the east have been manipulated for a slightly wider road to accommodate a cycle lane on each side (if that lobby was successful). Cyclists currently going up the hill on either side hold back traffic because its not wide enough for bi directional traffic and cyclists and quite a lot of cyclists use it. It would be stupid not to put a cycle lane basically.

DanDaDriver

Does this mean you no longer have to shut off power if you get to 15mph while leaving the station, while part of the train is still in the platform?

When you’re heading North you can open up a Meridian from a standing start in P2 and it (shouldnt) exceed any speed limits until you’re up near Syston before the 120 starts.

Aictos

Established Member
The Bromham road bridge you speak of is the one built probably close to 100 years ago or more. Its currently being replaced. Sometimes the road is closed, but right now its one way traffic. As I understand it some wiring and underground pipes are being re-routed before they remove the road bridge completely. The replacement will be of a kind that allows OHLE to go underneath it. I believe this to be the last bridge on the new unwired section be to be replaced. I assume there was no hurry since the connection of live wires will be done right about at that point and that will be the last thing to do. I'm going over it tonight on the way home from work, but from what I have seen so far the verges to the east have been manipulated for a slightly wider road to accommodate a cycle lane on each side (if that lobby was successful). Cyclists currently going up the hill on either side hold back traffic because its not wide enough for bi directional traffic and cyclists and quite a lot of cyclists use it. It would be stupid not to put a cycle lane basically.

Ahh I didn't know the name of the bridge so appreciate the above reply and yes it would make so much sense to have a cycle lane.

Only thing is would they do it so you have a two way cycle lane but have traffic lights for road traffic as the road itself would be bi directional ie one direction at a time or will they do a decent job and provide two way traffic for both cycles and road traffic?

When you’re heading North you can open up a Meridian from a standing start in P2 and it (shouldnt) exceed any speed limits until you’re up near Syston before the 120 starts.

Do you know if this is an example of Network Rail and operators talking to each other so that line speeds match acceleration, or is it just a fluke?

DanDaDriver

Do you know if this is an example of Network Rail and operators talking to each other so that line speeds match acceleration, or is it just a fluke?

I believe there was some discussion with Driver instructors about the acceleration of meridians and what speed they would be doing by what location.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

It’s usually the case that linespeeds are planned to match their achievability. Of course it’s not always possible.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I've been involved with a line speed enhancement project where we got the train performance characteristic and worked out where it would hit the existing permitted speed when accelerating from a particular stop, which would be the place where the higher speed would start. Unfortunately just beyond that was something that was expensive to change, so the speed board had to be a bit later.

WymoWanderer

Had a quick look at the substation that was delivered today (to Wymington). Looks very similar to the others installed on the line recently. I hope to be able to get some pictures this week to share with the forum.

WymoWanderer

As promised here's some pictures of the new substation at Wymington.

Photo #1 - original
y4mSBh4RQKMvo-CiQ5ecpDn-17r6PT8k5MZX0S6oEf53tKLuodePFqgb3fcBw3KQ7YxsGhMPxDozHcoLlnkK5HE-0MovRCsJ4lRDukbEw3ZoDNIWfH2xin0KI4bImskscDSmn1n4LV7f5Jj-UXNtsKLhZxazkgV6Uvd3pdChmgZrL-MZH462SkKCKsao6pywy9vruIyflV8n-AW0ht8emuX3w

Photo #2
y4mEuIbn5P3DxhRbrg2hCK0TCM3VrZHWTTOUQXAI1OtTv7zCQiKZeFmjUQBkIXWvIJCFHPARd7-qKfpTWqiSvYHkIHtR7tDTO-Zb30zqgY-SX8dJBZ3r6g5MmiST9sqqAw7yN2Q6iBAh-VnbVWZA9dTWZHx1eTa6t1FnrGg0xpPFbo4XzIxBiJoP8rxvDNWnuiQegODHCVdqOQPiVVUEb5s5g

Photo #3 - original
y4m36rhyjrqxtYqLde66SncfroBKPw7bLt8MnGIHJ9xw3PDF5FzFlKSoRDuy2zq7k3sEi5h9pwF3PSfpU6u6fDYAdGC0s3yoeGLHmDS-s0e6-lPhZ5JOoCibXwrB0SEefLvFPMIToTXkpgTix84byYebgHzDwxKuFTiBPLwXN2Q7vo7yntXQDhbZ4qfD9XGtHK-RoxW8zZiXkv1-d8YBm2LeA

John Webb

Established Member
Out of curiosity, is the substation shown in the above photos delivered as one complete unit or is it delivered as several modules that are then fixed together on site?

themiller

Looking at the first photo, it looks like it was delivered in two sections because of the eight lifting points on the roof - but someone else may have witnessed it in transit and be able to confirm.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
The Bromham road bridge you speak of is the one built probably close to 100 years ago or more. Its currently being replaced. ...

Would it have been built in c 1856 with the construction of the Leicester and Hitchen, and modified later, when they built the fast avoiding lines. Not sure when that was exactly, perhaps around 1876?

Senex

Established Member
Would it have been built in c 1856 with the construction of the Leicester and Hitchen, and modified later, when they built the fast avoiding lines. Not sure when that was exactly, perhaps around 1876?
The new Ouse Bridge came into use on 30 July 1893 and the curve lines followed on 7 October 1894.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The fast line arch and west side abutment is red brick. But the slow line arch and the entire parapet is blue brick, as is the centre pier as far as I can tell from a quick image search. So I wonder if the original tracks were where the fasts now are, and the rest of the bridge was part of the diversion in 1893-94.

Senex

Established Member
The fast line arch and west side abutment is red brick. But the slow line arch and the entire parapet is blue brick, as is the centre pier as far as I can tell from a quick image search. So I wonder if the original tracks were where the fasts now are, and the rest of the bridge was part of the diversion in 1893-94.
That's interesting. The new fast lines bridge was closed on 30 September 1894 for the week before the FLs were opened. I wonder if this was one of those cases where the bridge for the future fast lines as built and at first the slow lines were diverted across it, thus leaving the slow lines bridge clear for rebuilding. When that was finished the slow lines could be moved back to their proper alignment and the fast lines could be completed and brought into use. I'm a little surprised by the red brick on the fast lines side. I wonder if the start of the 1890s was just about the period when the Midland was moving over to engineers' blue brick for new construction.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
That's interesting. The new fast lines bridge was closed on 30 September 1894 for the week before the FLs were opened. I wonder if this was one of those cases where the bridge for the future fast lines as built and at first the slow lines were diverted across it, thus leaving the slow lines bridge clear for rebuilding. When that was finished the slow lines could be moved back to their proper alignment and the fast lines could be completed and brought into use. I'm a little surprised by the red brick on the fast lines side. I wonder if the start of the 1890s was just about the period when the Midland was moving over to engineers' blue brick for new construction.
I assume you're referring to Bromham Road (I was) although your use of "across" suggests you may be thinking of an underbridge.

If it was all part of the same programme then I don't think they would have changed brick type part way through. Looking at the NLS maps I really think the original tracks were where the fasts now are. Apologies for difference in image sizes, which I can't see any way of editing.

Surveyed 1881-1882:
1882 (2).png
Surveyed 1900:
1900 (2).png
Looking at the area between the L-shaped building and the railway boundary in comparison with the size of the building itself, I think the railway has expanded eastwards.

Senex

Established Member
We are at cross purposes. I was referring (#2775, #2777) to the Ouse Bridge south of the station as shewn on the 1901 25" map (NLS) of the completed works. You'll see the widening of the east side of the abutment of the north end of the new bridge, which suggests to me it may perhaps have been used as a replacement for the original bridge whilst that was replaced. The second image is the 1884 25" map shewing the Bromham Road bridge north of the station before quadrupling. Do you remember when it was possible to look out of the window of a train approaching Bedford on the up fast and see that there a dead straight continuation of the line you were on would have taken you into the down Northampton Bay (the old down main line) of the old station? The widening north of Bedford was on the east side—the fasts are the old Leicester & Hitchin alignment. Ouse Bridge 1901.jpg Bromham Road 1884.jpg

70014IronDuke

Established Member
The new Ouse Bridge came into use on 30 July 1893 and the curve lines followed on 7 October 1894.

Well - as you later realised - we were originally talking about Bromham Rd Bridge.
But that's interesting. I hadn't realised the fast lines were only installed as late as the 1890s. So from 1868 - 1894, all trains - even expresses - had to negotiate the sharp curve (was it 15 mph?) at the south end of the old Midland Rd station. What a pain that must have been.

So were the good lines north of Bedford added around the same time as the fast avoiding lines at Midland Rd station, or were they a totally separate project?

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Richieb's phots surely pose the question (well, they do to me) - why keep Sharnbrook Jcn - which, being on a curve, is surely non-standard, and therefore rather expensive? Of course, south of the former station site, the goods roads are on a different level. From memory, the goods and fasts only get back on level terms around MP 54. Are there no straight sections there that would allow for a crossover to be created around there?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Richieb's phots surely pose the question (well, they do to me) - why keep Sharnbrook Jcn - which, being on a curve, is surely non-standard, and therefore rather expensive? Of course, south of the former station site, the goods roads are on a different level. From memory, the goods and fasts only get back on level terms around MP 54. Are there no straight sections there that would allow for a crossover to be created around there?

S&C and curve can be ‘standard’, and is not necessarily more expensive. It’s more difficult to keep it in the same place, which wakes it potentially less reliable and slightly more expensive to maintain.

Moving it would of course, mean lots of signalling costs.

richieb1971

Established Member
Well its nice to see that Sharnbrook is seeing progress on the 4th track re-in statement. My question regarding the junction would be its amount of usage post 4 track use. Prior to this project it got a few crossover trains but this was because the 3rd track was bi-directional. If a train was going south and another came north, the freights going north would stop on the Sharnbrook viaduct stop light awaiting the passage of the south bound train and then the north bound train would use the same track going north. On occasion the northbound freight would cross onto the down fast.

If that scenario plays out post 4 tracks going live i'm sure both freight trains would pass each other between Wellingborough and Bedford on the slows.

Therefore I see its inclusion in all this a little bit redundant. Unless there is some sort of ruling I've not read that a junction needs to be in place every 5 miles or every 10 miles. On RTT the last checkpoint north of Sharnbrook is Wellingborough's GBRF depot if my recollection is correct. That is quite a long distance.

Same goes for Bedford north. It gets tons of usage currently with Meridians passing to the slows for the ability to hit a platform at Bedford. But once and if a platform is built on the up fast it would get very little usage again.

I've had a question on my mind for years now, so I might as well ask it now. Do NR actually use crossover points as a matter of keeping them in service if they don't regularly get used. Like some sort of minimum usage policy? What happens if the crossover points rust after years of non usage and become cranky/creaky? A pendolino de-railed/crashed years ago up north hitting some points. Was this due to a lack of usage for years and years and suddenly became necessary to utilize it and the train came off the track?

The Marston vale used to have crossover points at most stations, but looking at them they weren't used. Even if a train broke down they removed it rather than using the points to go round it. Which kind of made them a redundant feature of the railway.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I've had a question on my mind for years now, so I might as well ask it now. Do NR actually use crossover points as a matter of keeping them in service if they don't regularly get used. Like some sort of minimum usage policy? What happens if the crossover points rust after years of non usage and become cranky/creaky? A pendolino de-railed/crashed years ago up north hitting some points. Was this due to a lack of usage for years and years and suddenly became necessary to utilize it and the train came off the track?

Usually points are only swung if they need to be for service. Clearly some lightly used points will be swung perhaps once a week for service, others can be swimming every 2 minutes. There’s two usual exceptions:

1) points that are rarely used for timetable reasons, but are used in times of disruption, may be swung regularly in ice conditions to prevent them sticking.

2) similar principle, but different reason - if a rarely used set of points is going to get heavy use due to planned engineering works (SLW / bidi crossovers for example), they may be test swung in the run up to the planned use to check they work (and give a chance to maintenance to fix them if they don’t).

The points involved in the Grayrigg accident were not regularly used, and were not used for the train in question. Parts of the points had not been maintained correctly, one of the parts that keeps the movable rails in the correct place failed, and caused the points to move when they should not have.