• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Narrow Gauge Trams

Status
Not open for further replies.

LYRobert

When we lived in Brussels immediately after the war, there were standard and metre gauge trams running on some routes. They were referred to as "City trams" and "Country trams". The country tram system extended far into the surrounding country, and I remember (I was eight) being taken by tram to Waterloo on one occasion, and to Blankenberg on the coast on another.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
When we lived in Brussels immediately after the war, there were standard and metre gauge trams running on some routes. They were referred to as "City trams" and "Country trams". The country tram system extended far into the surrounding country, and I remember (I was eight) being taken by tram to Waterloo on one occasion, and to Blankenberg on the coast on another.
This was the SNCV/NMVB which operated such routes right across the country. The only surviving parts, still metre gauge, are the coastal tramway, the Charleroi network and a short tourist line.

LYRobert

A feature of the 'Country Tram' was that they often had three or four trailer-trams, and sometomes a goods wagon in tow, trundling through the street. The old city trams often had a single trailer, but they were all being replaced by the much bigger bogie trams - the first of these made it's appearance on "Our" route (to Tervuren) whilst we were there (might have been a bit later - during our second stay there).

snowball

Established Member
I’ve heard it said that the ‘new’ West Highland Railway link across and slightly along the road to enter Porthmadog station is legally a ‘tramway’.
Welsh, not West, of course.

It's described as railway in Work no. 3 in Schedule 1 here:

And clicking forward to the next page and Schedule 2, it's called a level crossing.

Possibly surprising as on site it does seem more along the road than across it.

But road vehicles have to stop to let trains across.

Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member
The other big traditional tramway network that was (just) narrow gauge was Glasgow (etc), which was 4'-7¾" - to permit operation of mainline goods wagons over it, by flange running.
Particularly in the sections of the network that ran past the numerous Clyde shipyards (Fairfield in Govan & John Brown's in Clydebank to name two, the latter being one of the last parts of the system to close in September 1962).

Ken H

On Moderation
Particularly in the sections of the network that ran past the numerous Clyde shipyards (Fairfield in Govan & John Brown's in Clydebank to name two, the latter being one of the last parts of the system to close in September 1962).
Leeds tramway had goods trains from Gipton Colliery to Whitehall Rd generating statjon. Dont know if the vehicles were captive and had special wheels or not. Leeds trams were standard gaugue.
Imagine a steam hauled train of trucks going through City Square!

Status
Not open for further replies.