• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NatEx White Stripe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCR247

Established Member
I'm curious at why NX put a white stripe on everything that wasn't in their livery? It made sense on GNER stock where to cover the old red stripe, but why on 317s, 315s, 170s, 156s, 153s, 360s, 321s & LHCS?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WillPS

Established Member
Part of the new National Express guidelines stated that every UK service not presently baring the NX name should be rebranded immediately.

Another guideline stated that the logo must only ever be used on white.

Presumably - the thin stripe was the cheapest possible method of achieving the above.

MCR247

Established Member
Part of the new National Express guidelines stated that every UK service not presently baring the NX name should be rebranded immediately.

Another guideline stated that the logo must only ever be used on white.

Presumably - the thin stripe was the cheapest possible method of achieving the above.

Oh, they probably only wanted it on white because that's the colour the logo was made on, opposed to transparent. I suppose its like those exWessex alphaline 158s running round in Scotland with a white sticker with the First ScotRail logo with the rest of the unit silver

WillPS

Established Member
Yeah, it makes sense I guess - and a thin white line across the train certainly is more visible and often less offensive than a logo dumped on the side.

East Midlands Trains have dumped their logo on every unit regardless of backing colour, so on things like the (mad) maroon ex-TPE 158s the text is not prominent at all.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
putting the white stripe on everything also helped in itself as a sort of logo, to unify all the different paint schemes under a single brand- as 'one' they'd managed to end up with (I think I've got this right) five different liveries on the 317 fleet; the Desiros had more than one livery, the 321s another, the rural diesels a right mix (there's still some of those in Anglia livery).

Adding the white stripe with logos stamped the new corporate identity on everything quickly, linking the East Coast high speed trains to the Fen and Broads Sprinters.

Status
Not open for further replies.