• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Express overnight coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman

Established Member
Was just wondering what it's like to travel overnight on one of these, as I'm doing Edinburgh to London and back on one fairly soon.

I've heard the coach has a toilet, wifi, leather seats and plug sockets - but are they any good for sleeping on?!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Probably better than a normal (as opposed to sleeper) train. Seats recline, dim lighting, ride is smooth and quiet (even over the engine isn't too bad, I'd say quieter than over the engine on a DMU), no annoying announcements at regular intervals.

scotsman

Established Member
What's the toilet like? The usual "go if it you're desperate" coach toilet?

Also, any idea where the "30 min stop at a service station" would be?

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor

Also, any idea where the "30 min stop at a service station" would be?

Stop on the 596 is at Knutsford Services, the 594 at Ferrybridge

starrymarkb

Established Member
Probably better than a normal (as opposed to sleeper) train. Seats recline, dim lighting, ride is smooth and quiet (even over the engine isn't too bad, I'd say quieter than over the engine on a DMU), no annoying announcements at regular intervals.

My experience of the Levante was very noisy and rattly.

anthony263

Established Member
My experience of the Levante was very noisy and rattly.

That is a surprise considering all the levate's I have had were very quiet and are excellent to drive.

I have to admit they are much nicer to travel on than the coaches operated by megabus

northwichcat

Veteran Member

Better than a toilet on a Pacer.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Stop on the 596 is at Knutsford Services

National Express sometimes use the services at Lymm Interchange, just off the A50, if the coach is diverted off the M6 for overnight works or due to an accident.

route101

Established Member
The best ones to sleep on are the Megabus double decker van hools . Very quiet and smooth.

Yew

Established Member
Pacers are normally pretty decent for spending a penny. I don't think I've needed to do the other thing yet though on a journey on one.

Dropping a Pound?

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Pacers are normally pretty decent for spending a penny. I don't think I've needed to do the other thing yet though on a journey on one.

That's assuming they have running water, the toilets flush is operational and the door locks. You'd expect that as standard but not on Northern's 142s.

Schnellzug

Established Member

Oh yes, for quietness and lighting, a coach beats most types of modern rolling stock hands down. And while it's all subjective, the seats are probably better than <insert name of your favourite type of rolling stock here>. About the only thing a train probably beats it on is ride quality, although even there, if you're over the bogie on a Desiro, it's probably subjective.

notadriver

Established Member
I don't ride on DMUs very often but in my experience you get more space on a train than you do on a coach and you are free to get up and move around whereas on the coach you must wear a seatbelt. And the experience you have depends on the quality of the coach driver. On every coach I've been on, bad driving has meant I've needed my seat belt. This just doesn't happen on trains.

Established Member
That's assuming they have running water, the toilets flush is operational and the door locks. You'd expect that as standard but not on Northern's 142s.

You must be unlucky with the NW ones, up here in the NE I haven't had a problem. In fact they put some of the station toilets to shame.

scotsman

Established Member
So, without digressing into the crappers of DMUs, I can expect a fairly comfortable journey with access to a decent toilet on the journey (I wouldn't put that much emphasis on it usually, but it's a long journey to go without!)

WestCoast

Established Member

They're not in the North West. A few months someone had to be cut free from a Pacer toilet by the fire brigade on my local service, after the the door jammed.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I can expect a fairly comfortable journey with access to a decent toilet on the journey (I wouldn't put that much emphasis on it usually, but it's a long journey to go without!)

Reasonably comfortable; I used to travel a lot with megabus and NX, and I'd take the train every time if I could. However, they have improved considerably. Coaches can be pretty uncomfortable if they are full and you are strapped in for goodness knows how many hours!

The worst coach journey I have ever had was a megabus service between London and Manchester, where the usual Neoplan Skyliner was substituted for a Stagecoach in Manchester Volvo Olympian with no toilet, no room for the masses of luggage and low backed seating. 5 hours or so crawling up the M6 was not a pleasant experience to put it lightly. <(

Last edited:

londonbridge

Established Member
Assuming someone hasn't thrown up in the toilet on a previous journey.

Never mind throwing up in the toilet,I was on a Nat Ex coach once and a girl threw up on the empty seat next to her. She then went to the back of the coach and sat down. Another passenger alerted the driver who then pulled the coach over into a lay-by and put out an announcement saying the coach wouldn't go any further until "the passenger who has just been sick comes and collects some cleaning materials from me and clears it up". After a minute or so the girl came forward,the driver gave her some cloths and a bottle of spray,started off again and asked the passenger who'd alerted him to keep an eye on it to make sure it was cleaned up properly.

tbtc

Veteran Member
How long until this descends into a discussion about whether it's comfortable to get to sleep on a Pacer toilet?

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.