• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nearest station information please

Status
Not open for further replies.

badger1badger

Hi we are staying in bontnewydd in Wales can anyone suggest the nearest station and the relevant timetables to down load for the seasonal period

Thanks

Paul

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This is just north of Dinas station on the Welsh Highland Railway (WHR), a truly excellent line.

I would consider taking a train to Porthmadog [[stn]PTM[/stn]] and walking through the town to Porthmadog Harbour for a WHR train.

Or perhaps to Minfford [[stn]MFF[/stn]] and change there for Ffestiniog Railway to Porthmadog Harbour, and from there the WHR to Dinas (subject to trains running on the dates in question).

However it would be considerably quicker for you to take a bus from Bangor [[stn]BNG[/stn]] on the North Wales coast.

Perhaps a compromise may be a round-trip?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hi we are staying in bontnewydd in Wales can anyone suggest the nearest station and the relevant timetables to down load for the seasonal period

As well as Yorkie's advice, you can find ATWs timetables here and they also show Virgin services to/from Euston (you will probably be wanting to look at booklets 2 and 4).

Polarbear

Established Member
If you're coming from Leeds, your best best would be to trave along the North Wales line & alight at Bangor. There are plenty of buses from outside the station to Caernarfon, a few of which also run through to Bontnewydd.

In the absence of a through bus, change at Caernarfon. There's a good service beyond there to Bontnewydd.

As Yorkie says, the WHR is a fantastic line so do try to have a ride along it if you get the chance.

badger1badger

Thnks guys so appreciate the help

Merry Christmas
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi just to recap you say take a train to ptm where are you suggesting we go from ?

Cheers

Paul

This is just north of Dinas station on the Welsh Highland Railway (WHR), a truly excellent line.

I would consider taking a train to Porthmadog [[stn]PTM[/stn]] and walking through the town to Porthmadog Harbour for a WHR train.

Or perhaps to Minfford [[stn]MFF[/stn]] and change there for Ffestiniog Railway to Porthmadog Harbour, and from there the WHR to Dinas (subject to trains running on the dates in question).

However it would be considerably quicker for you to take a bus from Bangor [[stn]BNG[/stn]] on the North Wales coast.

Perhaps a compromise may be a round-trip?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
We are stopping at plas dinas country hotel

Not far from the new borough arms I believe

?

Paul

badger1badger

Hi bangor then the bus to where ?

I am thinking from all comments to get on near the newbourgh arms and travel to port madoc and return to the pub ? Can we do this in a day ?

Cheers

Paul

Don't rely on the WHR - only 3 trains per day, maximum !! Much quicker to go to Bangor and take a bus.

martinsh

Established Member
Hi bangor then the bus to where ?
See http://www.gwynedd.gov.uk/gwy_doc.asp?cat=2567&doc=27346&language=1 for details of buses. Through buses from Bangor to Bontnewydd are routes 1 and X32. [ More frequent service available by changing at Caernarvon as Polarbear said ] From the Plas Dinas website it looks to me like the place itself is actually nearer to Dinas than Bontnewydd - you'll have to ask them which is the nearest bus stop.

I am thinking from all comments to get on near the newbourgh arms and travel to port madoc and return to the pub ? Can we do this in a day ?
Christmas service on the WHR consist of one round trip per day from Caernarvon to Porthmadog. After Jan 1st there is no service at all until the middle of February ! see www.festrail.co.uk

Waldgrun

All I trust is that it is the correct Bontnewydd,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bontnewydd.
I remember some years back two old dears getting confused with Southbourne, they wanted to travel to Southbourne near Bournemouth and ended up at Southbourne (Sussex) near Chichester.

Status
Not open for further replies.