• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nene Valley Diesel Gala

Status
Not open for further replies.

ge-gn

Just wondering from those who have attended this event in the past, how family friendly this event is?

I’m not after fairground rides and children’s entertainment, but are there museums and displays to see to fill the gaps in between trains at the various stations?

Also I’m aware that sometimes at these events some of the attendees can become a bit ‘excitable’. What’s this one like?

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

malc-c

First port of call would be their website which lists various attractions https://nvr.org.uk/article.php/3/plan-your-visit But in reality there isn't a lot to do or see between trains. There is a gift shop, cafe and possible a model railway at the main station, and a wildlife and model railway attraction at Peterborough, but nothing at intermediate stations.

Here's my video of their diesel gala day in 2018 to give you a flavour.

If you have a young family, then one of their Thomas tank engine days are better...

paul1609

Established Member
First port of call would be their website which lists various attractions https://nvr.org.uk/article.php/3/plan-your-visit But in reality there isn't a lot to do or see between trains. There is a gift shop, cafe and possible a model railway at the main station, and a wildlife and model railway attraction at Peterborough, but nothing at intermediate stations.

Here's my video of their diesel gala day in 2018 to give you a flavour.

If you have a young family, then one of their Thomas tank engine days are better...
I may be out of date but I don't think the Nene Valley are a "Thomas the Tank" railway.

superjohn

As preserved railways go they are pretty good in that respect. There is a fair amount to see at Wansford station and you can also walk around the back of the yard to access a viewing gallery in the shed. Overton has the mail by rail exhibition and nearby Nene Park. Peterborough has the smallish Railworld exhibition next door or you can just watch the running round.

Overall, it isn’t a family fun park but it also isn’t the platform and a portacabin experience you find at some lines.

As for the crowd, there was a bit of a keyboard furore surrounding the departure of the class 31 group a couple of years ago. Many of the more hardcore idiots declared they would boycott the line for all eternity, typically not realising that they would not be missed by the line or vast majority of other attendees. Being close to a big city also makes it more of a general local attraction, with the more ‘normal’ crowd that comes with that.

The Nene Valley is actually the original “Thomas the Tank” railway! They had a Thomas locomotive, complete with face etc, long before it became the big deal it is now. Some years ago they were challenged by the Thomas rights holders over use of the brand. As their loco had been named by Rev. W Awdry himself the railway were successfully able to stand their ground.

ge-gn

is the diesel gala not right at the end of the running season? Have i missed one?

It’s in October. I’m just getting ahead of the game as the opportunity to attend has presented itself. Getting the gen before I book accommodation.

Edders23

Overton is based in ferry meadows country park so if you wanted a break from trains there are country walks and big ponds with rowing boats ducks to feed etc

As this is very near to me (12 mins drive from my house) I have been quite a few times although mostly to man the RRRG sales stand. If you are wanting to do all the locos then forget about doing other things but if you want a family day out then at Wansford there is a good cafe and a gift shop full of Thomas stuff plus the exhibition coach across the other platform but if the children aren't into railwayana and books that might not be so interesting

Overton is the junior section and is fairly basic but is in the heart of ferry meadows country park

and at the Peterborough end is Railworld which has a few full sized exhibits and a model railway

It is usually a descent gala with a good selection of locos and a couple of sections of line where they can open up a bit last year on the sunday they did a triple header which must have hit 50mph within a 300 to 400 yards of leaving Overton Stibbington bound

By the way Wansford station is in Stibbington Wansford is just over a mile away !! Any other local info you need just ask

malc-c

The Nene Valley is actually the original “Thomas the Tank” railway! They had a Thomas locomotive, complete with face etc, long before it became the big deal it is now. Some years ago they were challenged by the Thomas rights holders over use of the brand. As their loco had been named by Rev. W Awdry himself the railway were successfully able to stand their ground.

thomasMain.jpg

Nene Valley Railway is home to a little blue engine named ‘Thomas’ by the Rev. W. Awdry author of the famous books about Thomas and Friends.
The 0-6-0T engine No. 1800 was built by Hudswell Clarke in 1947 at about the time when Rev.W Awdry wrote his second book in which Thomas appeared. The little blue engine spent its entire working life at the British Sugar Corporation Peterborough factory pushing wagons of sugar beet up an incline until the day came when a diesel engine replaced the steam power of Thomas. The Peterborough Railway Society purchased this delightful little engine on 9th September 1973 and he was moved to the Nene Valley Railway, where he has since delighted his friends and children of all ages.

Thomas Branch Line Trains will operate on the dates below

28th & 29th March
25th & 26th April
30th & 31st May
27th & 28th June

Our kids are all grown up now, my youngest is 18, but I can still see her face light up as a three year old when she saw Thomas for the first time - If you have young kids its well worth a visit on any of the days when Thomas is running

Status
Not open for further replies.