• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail in strange places Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
What would they be up to at former lines anyway? Do they still have to maintain abandoned tunnels/platforms to some degree?

I imagine that NR might have some business being on a former railway alignment that hadn;t been sold off.

I am curious as to why Network Rail vans might be spotted in out of the way places. It might not be anything sinister, I'm just curious!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gareth Marston

Established Member
No one used vans for personal use at my former depot. Occasionally a supervisor or on call bod took one home if they expected to work or get called out. Vans sometimes got allocated to personnel travelling to courses. Company cars were used for personal use, of which there were...two. One of which was even being turned into a pool car. All the work vans became pool vans, and numbers slashed to the point there wasn't enough vans for work days.

Believe me, Network Rail is getting slashed to pieces at the maintenance level. There's no gratuitous use of company assets for personal use, no lavish wastes of money; there are no assets, and there is no money. Soon there will be nobody left to spend what little money there is at the bottom of the moth eaten maintenance wallet.

So as I've seen on other threads NR instead of becoming more efficient and reforming its wasteful working practices is just employing a maintenance holiday approach?

Hydro

Established Member
So as I've seen on other threads NR instead of becoming more efficient and reforming its wasteful working practices is just employing a maintenance holiday approach?

I can only say about what I've seen first hand from one depot. Just the very bare essentials to keep going, patrolling and rail defects. Anything else was a bonus. There was no manpower to do anything else due to voluntary redundancies and cost saving through slashing manpower in the name of "reorganisation".

O L Leigh

Established Member
Stopped for lunch, picked up from the garage following service/mending, even lost and reading a map to some godforsaken access where everything looks green and you don't know the area, having a **** in a bush! Just because a van is not near a railway doesn't necessarily mean it's being used for personal reasons.

Maybe it was being used for personal reasons. I'd draft a strongly worded letter to Ian Coucher immediately. His visionary leadership will ensure vans can only use certain routes to railway access points and must only stop in authorised places on railway land. Trackers will log all journeys and those deviating from the authorised routes will be corporately bummed and drummed out of the company in shame.

Ah, sense at last...!!! :)

O L Leigh

emoaconr

I imagine that NR might have some business being on a former railway alignment that hadn;t been sold off.
I would have thought that'd be mainly BRB Residuary's business. Even Waterloo International is owned by BRBR. NR seem to have very little connection with anything remotely disused.

Though I do wonder who BRBR contract their "annual" maintainance checks of former infracture to.

Status
Not open for further replies.