• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Southeast livery class 47 question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leeds1970

I have Lima class 47530 in revised network southeast livery, however the blue is of the lighter shade as applied to 47579. I can only find pictures of the real loco in the darker blue so am assuming Lima made an error ?
Apart from 47579 were any other 47's painted in the revised colour but using the lighter shade of blue as I cannot find any pictures.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I have Lima class 47530 in revised network southeast livery, however the blue is of the lighter shade as applied to 47579. I can only find pictures of the real loco in the darker blue so am assuming Lima made an error ?
Apart from 47579 were any other 47's painted in the revised colour but using the lighter shade of blue as I cannot find any pictures.

I’m pretty sure that 47530 was painted into revised Network Southeast livery around the same time as a few of the other locos that mainly ended up on the Paddington to Oxford route were (47521, 47547, 47587 etc).
I would agree that it’s most likely a Lima mistake as I don’t know of any that didn’t receive the darker shade with the revised livery.
Happy to be proved wrong though!

I guess you’ve looked through this site?:

Leeds1970

Perhaps it's an illusion but this photo looks to be the lighter shade whereas this one appears darker. So maybe 47530 did carry light blue for a while.
thanks for the pictures both of which appear to be darker than the model so I'm thinking that it was an error by Lima, as cowley (above) seems to suggest the same.

I’m pretty sure that 47530 was painted into revised Network Southeast livery around the same time as a few of the other locos that mainly ended up on the Paddington to Oxford route were (47521, 47547, 47587 etc).
I would agree that it’s most likely a Lima mistake as I don’t know of any that didn’t receive the darker shade with the revised livery.
Happy to be proved wrong though!

I guess you’ve looked through this site?:
thank you for your help - yes I've tried that site its brilliant, and the pic's on there seem to point to an error by lima

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
thanks for the pictures both of which appear to be darker than the model so I'm thinking that it was an error by Lima, as cowley (above) seems to suggest the same.

thank you for your help - yes I've tried that site its brilliant, and the pic's on there seem to point to an error by lima

What I’ll do is put this in the history section for now as I think it might get more views and it is basically a historical question.
I’ve just had a bit more time to look into it and I’m 99% sure that all of the revised ones were painted in the darker blue.

It might be time to invest in an airbrush and some masking tape. ;)

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Well, 47530 passed by my window at the Oak nearly every day and it was definitely painted in the darker blue. They did tend to fade a little with age but not like the Lima model, which is clearly in the original lighter NSE blue.

Interesting remarks about 47579. I only remember that in dark blue.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think I may have pictures of 47 579 in the original NSE livery; I'll have a look tonight but i might not have indexed them yet...

I don’t think 579 was ever painted in the original scheme. Some of the other Stratford ones were though (573, 576, 581 - 583 etc).
Some of the Stratford ones continued to receive the black headcode embellishment though.

Another Stratford addition with the revised scheme was white windscreen trim on a few of the class members.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I don’t think 579 was ever painted in the original scheme. Some of the other Stratford ones were though (573, 576, 581 - 583 etc).
Some of the Stratford ones continued to receive the black headcode embellishment though.

Another Stratford addition with the revised scheme was white windscreen trim on a few of the class members.
Yep.... I found the picture I was remembering and it was 47 573...

Magdalia

Established Member
Network South East was launched in 1986. The original NSE livery was pale blue. 47579 was not included because it was one of the Stratford Royal locos, along with 47572.

The NSE livery was revised to a darker blue a bit later. A quick dabble on flickr suggests that 47579 was repainted from large logo blue livery to revised NSE livery some time in spring or summer 1988.

D1537

Yes, all the revised ones were the darker shade, at which time the shape of the red and white lines also changed from the original version, so the Lima model is wrong whichever number they'd put on it - since it has the revised lining but the original colour.

pdeaves

Established Member
In case anyone is unfamiliar, 'original' NSE on locos had angled red/white upsweeps at each end; 'revised' did not have upsweeps. As noted, there were also various shades of paint (excluding the effects of dirt/fading!)

Big Jumby 74

Here's '598 on the Common in the later (dark) variation, which, to me personally, looked a far more professional sort of livery. Before anyone says otherwise, I do appreciate others may have preferred the earlier NSE versions there of!

Attachments

• 47598 OOC BJ120389.jpg
    47598 OOC BJ120389.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 40

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Here's '598 on the Common in the later (dark) variation, which, to me personally, looked a far more professional sort of livery. Before anyone says otherwise, I do appreciate others may have preferred the earlier NSE versions there of!

I do have a bit of love for the earlier version but that’s probably because it landed at around the same time as I first started getting properly out and about on the railways.

Seeing as we’re talking about model NSE 47s here’s mine. ;)

243A2742-88DA-4FE8-AC34-A8E66195BD7B.jpeg

Edit - As we’re talking about the difference between the two shades of blue, the mk2 behind the loco is in the later darker shade and there’s quite a big tonal difference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.