• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Brent Cross West (Thameslink) station

mr_jrt

Established Member
Random aside, is there any reason why Cricklewood as never extended for 12 car trains? Looks to be plenty of space?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D7666

Random aside, is there any reason why Cricklewood as never extended for 12 car trains? Looks to be plenty of space?
Possibly as going back some time it was once proposed Cricklewood closed when what is now Brent Cross West opened => almost certainly eliminated 12car platform rebuilding from TL2000 project (as it was then) if it was expected to close.

It is not the only one e.g. Hendon is 8car platforms (indeed 700s ASDO opens only 7cars) and does have the room to expand; Kentish Town on the other hand is 8car and short of some mammoth works and money has no real hope of ever being more than 8car.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Because it was only ever going to be served by 8 car trains, except for very occaisonal 12s late at night ir duing disruption.

Dima

Ah OK, it's strange to think they wouldn't stop the 12 cars at Hendon/Cricklewood.

ASDO is always in operation at Hendon, as only the first seven coaches open the doors there.

That being said, I definitely understand why they wouldn’t want to stop 12 coaches trains there all the time, you will inevitably have someone in the rear coaches unable to get off the train, especially at peak hours.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
ASDO is always in operation at Hendon, as only the first seven coaches open the doors there.

That being said, I definitely understand why they wouldn’t want to stop 12 coaches trains there all the time, you will inevitably have someone in the rear coaches unable to get off the train, especially at peak hours.
Makes sense

D7666

Because it was only ever going to be served by 8 car trains, except for very occaisonal 12s late at night ir duing disruption.
Yet Mill Hill Broadway was 8car and extended to 12car but none of the TLP plans contemporary with that works seemed to show anything that would normally have been 12car to have called there. No normal base pattern service has had 12car calling there so far.

The original TL2000 plans were for all stations north of Thames to be all 12car platforms because way back then today's pattern of 8 / 12 car was not known, and, one iteration of TL2000 was all 12car anyway (and going to a somewhat different perm of destinations south of Thames than we have today, most/all of which were 10 if not 12car).

The fly in the ointment was - and still is - Kentish Town and TLP never had that one as 12car even though TL2000 did. Once that became impractical to extend, it opened the window for 8car platforms elsewhere, hence Hendon and Cricklewood, but (as posted already) Cricklewood 12car was almost certainly already knocked on the head with TL2000 when the Brent Cross idea came up as Cricklewood was then planned to have closed.

Back then, in TL2000 days, and even the early days of TLP, ASDO was never an answer to all this - as ASDO did not exist then.

cle

Established Member
They also counter-balance/counterpart a slew of 8 car (many 10) platforms on the Southern network, in terms of service pairs. So largely pointless.

Yet Mill Hill Broadway was 8car and extended to 12car but none of the TLP plans contemporary with that works seemed to show anything that would normally have been 12car to have called there. No normal base pattern service has had 12car calling there so far.
Mill Hill used to be a semi-fast call. In the old days, over West Hampstead. And then a semi-call on the patterns which now run express to Elstree. So it's not a surprise it was planned to be 12 car at the time.

jon0844

Veteran Member
ASDO provides a safe way to manage short platforms, and regular users would soon learn to be in the right section.

The CIS on the platform will tell people as well as the train itself, as long as the PIS is set up. If a stop is added and the 700 just says 'check station screens' then it won't warn in advance, which can cause problems.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Yet Mill Hill Broadway was 8car and extended to 12car but none of the TLP plans contemporary with that works seemed to show anything that would normally have been 12car to have called there.

Well theres a story about the Mill Hill Broadway Fast line platfrom 12 car extensions, but I’ll save that for another day.

Edvid

Established Member
The 189 will be rerouted to serve the station in a few weeks.

Route 189 rerouted via Brent Cross West Station - 17 February 2024​

From Saturday 17 February route 189 will be rerouted to serve the recently opened national rail station Brent Cross West.

Route 189 will continue to run between Brent Cross Shopping Centre and Marble Arch 24 hours a day 7 days a week. However, buses will be rerouted in both directions to serve Brent Cross West Station by double running from Claremont Road via Parkview Avenue to the eastern entrance of Brent Cross West Station before u-turning to return via Parkview Avenue back to Claremont Road. All current bus stops on route 189 will continue to be served. At Brent Cross West station route 189 will serve both bus stops AA and BB in both directions.

Once completed, route 189 will be rerouted further to serve the roads of the currently under construction Brent Cross Town development.

Route 189 will continue to run every 10 minutes during the daytime on Monday to Saturdays, every 12 minutes during the evening and all day on Sundays and every 30 minutes on all nights of the week.

That double run will be in place for a good while as the works needed to deliver the Tempelhof Avenue connection & replacement bridge over the A406 (which would also enable the route 326 extension) haven't been applied for yet.

H&I

The 189 will be rerouted to serve the station in a few weeks.

That double run will be in place for a good while as the works needed to deliver the Tempelhof Avenue connection & replacement bridge over the A406 (which would also enable the route 326 extension) haven't been applied for yet.
I saw information at the gateline giving directions to Brent Cross Shopping Centre; many people arrive at the station thinking that the shopping centre is conveniently nearby. This rerouting should be helpful to them.

jon0844

Veteran Member
That's great news. Walking to Brent Cross is not particularly pleasant, until they totally redevelop the area.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
In this picture of Sunil's...

p2760900-jpg.148326

... you can see what greets you as you turn off the footbridge to the station. Times for the next dozen trains, but no indication of the current time. There is no clock visible on a side wall either. Is this a deliberate policy to stop people running, or just an oversight? I know most people have a watch or a phone, and when you get down to the platforms the next train indicators do tell you the current time, but to present encyclopaedic knowledge of train times at the entrance without presenting the current time seems bizarre. Maybe a nice physical clock was in the initial spec but it got value-engineered away without anyone rethinking the above displays.
A nice digital clock now appears on the display panels.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
On the east side at 10pm Sunday night, the floor was covered in water, as were the escalators and the metal "bannister" between them. One of the escalators slowed down when no-one used it, but two didn't, and one wasn't working at all. I hope they fix the roof before water breaks everything.
Seven weeks later, still one escalator not working!

Basil Jet

On Moderation
On the east side at 10pm Sunday night, the floor was covered in water, as were the escalators and the metal "bannister" between them. One of the escalators slowed down when no-one used it, but two didn't, and one wasn't working at all. I hope they fix the roof before water breaks everything.
They didn't... the entire escalator has been removed and is being replaced or fixed. Some staff went up on a cherry picker last week to look at or fix the roof.

I still can't see how the station has passive provision for extra platforms for the West London Orbital - there is no way that the existing station could have that added without removing major structural elements, so I can only imagine a separate Overground station on Geron Way.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
They didn't... the entire escalator has been removed and is being replaced or fixed. Some staff went up on a cherry picker last week to look at or fix the roof.

I still can't see how the station has passive provision for extra platforms for the West London Orbital - there is no way that the existing station could have that added without removing major structural elements, so I can only imagine a separate Overground station on Geron Way.
I found a report:

The report is fairly detailed and includes a plan of an additional island platform, offset to the south compared to the other two platforms, and how it would connect into the paid side of the station concourse that’s already built:
httpswww.barnet.gov.uksitesdefaultfileswlo_brent_cross_west_interchange_feasibility_study_repo...png

Basil Jet

On Moderation
I found a report:

The report is fairly detailed and includes a plan of an additional island platform, offset to the south compared to the other two platforms, and how it would connect into the paid side of the station concourse that’s already built:
View attachment 155823
Great, thanks. This would either require removal of the supports of the existing canopy, or squeezing a narrow corridor between them in a way that would look fairly incongruous with the existing station, so it's not quite what I would call passive provision!

mr_jrt

Established Member
Thanks for that, very helpful.

I can appreciate why they have gone for that option - it would keep construction away from the Hendon lines, (and doesn't interfere with the reception siding) but it would also preclude serving the station on a direct service between Hendon and West Hampstead on the Hendon lines, which might be operationally advantageous - i.e. WLO - Brent Cross West - Hendon - (reverse) - Brent Cross West - Cricklewood - West Hampstead - (Reverse) - Cricklewood - WLO.

Which all seems a shame, as having the access come down in the middle of the new platform would be much better, as would having the platforms on the Hendon lines by moving the junction to the south. Could anything be done about that reception siding to enable that?

cle

Established Member
Thanks for that, very helpful.

I can appreciate why they have gone for that option - it would keep construction away from the Hendon lines, (and doesn't interfere with the reception siding) but it would also preclude serving the station on a direct service between Hendon and West Hampstead on the Hendon lines, which might be operationally advantageous - i.e. WLO - Brent Cross West - Hendon - (reverse) - Brent Cross West - Cricklewood - West Hampstead - (Reverse) - Cricklewood - WLO.

Which all seems a shame, as having the access come down in the middle of the new platform would be much better, as would having the platforms on the Hendon lines by moving the junction to the south. Could anything be done about that reception siding to enable that?
I've never seen anything like that. It's always been a split 4tph to each station, Brent Cross West and Cricklewood/West Hampstead.

mr_jrt

Established Member
I know that's the plan, but if you link that axis with a frequent LO service as part of the WLO service you could then start to reduce Thameslink calls to speed those services up. As planned, you will still need Thameslink serving Cricklewood and Hendon to link them otherwise passengers would need to travel all the way to Neasden (or doubling back) to get between the branches.

Apologies for the tangent, but in an ideal world I'd like to see something more like the arrangement on the WCML, with the Hendon lines extended to new terminal bays on the west side of Mill Hill Broadway, and Thameslink then only serving Mill Hill Broadway and West Hampstead, passengers using the very frequent LO services to get to West Hampstead or Mill Hill for interchange, possibly with one or two new stations added along that axis on the Hendon lines only. I can appreciate that the Brent Cross city developers might not like losing the sales pitch of direct trains, though!