• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Proposed new Liverpool & Manchester Railway

Mgameing123

Quite agree, Liverpool Airport is booming, and he is ignoring his own remit .
Well Manchester Airport is the bigger out of the 2. It’s the one of the 2 I think that has long haul flights. But Liverpool might have destinations in Europe.

Quite agree, Liverpool Airport is booming, and he is ignoring his own remit .
To be honest now thinking about it. Serving Liverpool Airport would be very smart with this high speed link. But we also need a Merseyrail Link from South Parkway to the Airport.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stephen rp

8A Rail is absolutely correct in everything that he says. I live less than half a mile from Broad Green Station and any four tracking to the area was lost when the M62 was built.
Electrification and modern signalling of the CLC may improve things. The line has four trains per hour through Castlefield. There is a westbound loop between Irlam and Glazebrook and plenty of room at Warrington for an eastbound loop. It was also originally four tracked over the Barton Bridge.
Three trains per hour (off peak) since the Manchester Rail Recovery stole the fourth.

Barton Bridge? The Ship Canal bridge at Irlam, I presume you mean.

8A Rail

Established Member
I find that view hugely disappointing. A faster, more capacious and more reliable rail network between Manchester and Liverpool would benefit both cities. That's what agglomeration benefits are all about. But if you really do mean that a scheme that would benefit Liverpool should not be considered at all, if it would benefit Manchester more, then there really is no hope. Far better to invest in better rail links between Manchester and Leeds instead.
I am pleased that you do find it disappointing as there are far more important railway priorities in both areas that require attention NOW not something that is pie in the sky and politicians attempting to deflect matters from the real world. There is the potential of a reliable railway already in place but the powers to be are more interested in things for the future than what is required NOW with some simple cost effective fixes.

And of course the 'scheme' benefits Manchester more, why do you think they want to go to Manchester Airport as part of the plan? Now the last time I looked, I believe they are investing money and time between Manchester and Leeds something should of happened years ago!

(And for the benefit of other members, there should be two airports, both Manchester and Liverpool as they serve different markets and that should remain so, it just need to find away of connecting LJL Airport to the MR railway system, that is a more important priority along with other improvements, (eg: like extending to Gateacre) than what is being proposed by the two Mayors (& partners) for a Liverpool to Manchester Airport rail link)!

HSTEd

Veteran Member
.If you want to build a super fast train from Liverpool to Manchester via Manchester Airport,.do it, but I think the route is an expensive mistake, when an upgraded and electrified CLC would do the job very well. There is a danger this scheme will never happen due to massive cost
Electrifying the CLC might get you one extra path, maybe two, but that is about it.

There would be no point in speed upgrades for the same reason the Chat Moss has reached the end of the line.
Faster fast trains just hit the stoppers faster and gain nothing.

The line has too many stations with platforms on the running lines. It can never be a high capacity, high capability railway.

frodshamfella

Established Member
I find that view hugely disappointing. A faster, more capacious and more reliable rail network between Manchester and Liverpool would benefit both cities. That's what agglomeration benefits are all about. But if you really do mean that a scheme that would benefit Liverpool should not be considered at all, if it would benefit Manchester more, then there really is no hope. Far better to invest in better rail links between Manchester and Leeds instead.
That's a silly thing to say, people are just expressing their concerns, it needs to work for all areas.

I am pleased that you do find it disappointing as there are far more important railway priorities in both areas that require attention NOW not something that is pie in the sky and politicians attempting to deflect matters from the real world. There is the potential of a reliable railway already in place but the powers to be are more interested in things for the future than what is required NOW with some simple cost effective fixes.

And of course the 'scheme' benefits Manchester more, why do you think they want to go to Manchester Airport as part of the plan? Now the last time I looked, I believe they are investing money and time between Manchester and Leeds something should of happened years ago!

(And for the benefit of other members, there should be two airports, both Manchester and Liverpool as they serve different markets and that should remain so, it just need to find away of connecting LJL Airport to the MR railway system, that is a more important priority along with other improvements, (eg: like extending to Gateacre) than what is being proposed by the two Mayors (& partners) for a Liverpool to Manchester Airport rail link)!
The Northern Line was meant to go to Gateacre in the first place, now that area has real transport problems.

Well Manchester Airport is the bigger out of the 2. It’s the one of the 2 I think that has long haul flights. But Liverpool might have destinations in Europe.

To be honest now thinking about it. Serving Liverpool Airport would be very smart with this high speed link. But we also need a Merseyrail Link from South Parkway to the Airport.
We need some sort of rail or tram link, other wise transport to Liverpool Airport is going to deteriorated. It's not a difficult thing, and far less difficult than what is suggest to bring another Manchester Airport link.

Established Member
.... "barmpots" should be free to have their say without fear or castration....
icon_rolleyes.gif

You called?

Whole project is pointless. 30 minutes over Chat Moss, or 30 minutes on some £900 squillion new line via Warrington & Man Airport.

Capacity improvements should take place - ie 4-tracking Chat Moss on two lengthy sections.

Tunnel on approach to Manchester near Salford Regent Rd. No creaking along on old 20mph viaducts for express trains.

Two platform station under Manchester Town Hall / St P Sq.

Four platforms under Manchester Piccadilly. Tunnel to split, then emerge at Longsight shed and Philips Park Jn (Ashton line).

Liverpool could reopen the Wapping (Crown St) tunnel and have a new high speed / express station at Wapping - lots of land there for 200m long train.

Manchester Airport line should be extended under the airport to Ashley. Metrolink should be extended every 12 mins to Knutsford (additional single line tram extension).

Stockport - Nav Rd - Altrincham to Metrolink.

Route via Warrington Central should be totally electrified, again with more 4-track passing loops added.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
If we are going to do something about Liverpool-Manchester connectivity, we could just go for the "extreme".

Self contained four station (Manchester Picc/Airport, Warrington, Liverpool Central) Shinkansen, running up to tube level frequencies. Only need two platforms at each station, with provision made for extensions at the termini.

Trains operating GoA 3 (Grade-of-Automation 3, aka. driverless) with a single onboard crew member in a compact buffet.

Last edited:

frodshamfella

Established Member
Is there really the demand for tube level frequency from Liverpool to Manchester , only stopping twice in between ?

I do think quadrupling and electrifying the CLC makes a lot of sense .

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Is there really the demand for tube level frequency from Liverpool to Manchester , only stopping twice in between ?

Quading the CLC would be an extremely tedious and expensive task given how built up a lot of the areas it runs through are.

As for demand on a new line, I did say "up to".
But I do think that if you had a line that could do Manchester-Liverpool in ~25 minutes with two stops, you could fill quite a few trains per hour.

Obviously future extensions to the likes of Sheffield and Leeds would probably increase it's capabilities, but I think people would use it just between Manchester and Liverpool

BradK2017

What would be the time/cost penalty if you rerouted the new line to serve Liverpool Airport? so from Warrington BQ uses the freight line until near Hale Barns area probably just after the Alstom base, then turns south west on a new line running straight then entering a tunnel just after Ramsbrook Lane, having an 2 platform underground station at the airport before the line turns north re-joining the current line into Lime Street somewhere around the junction at the back of New Mersey Shopping park.

Whilst I'm guessing it wouldn't be cheap, it would give Liverpool Airport direct rail services to the City Centre, Warrington, Manchester Airport & City plus the rest of the north, possibly even routing the London and/or Birmingham trains via it as well. Could also be sold as 'levelling up' Warrington even further by giving them direct links to both Airports, although I'd guess it wouldn't hit the aimed for 25-30min Liv - Manc journey time

HSTEd

Veteran Member
What would be the time/cost penalty if you rerouted the new line to serve Liverpool Airport? so from Warrington BQ uses the freight line until near Hale Barns area probably just after the Alstom base, then turns south west on a new line running straight then entering a tunnel just after Ramsbrook Lane, having an 2 platform underground station at the airport before the line turns north re-joining the current line into Lime Street somewhere around the junction at the back of New Mersey Shopping park.

Whilst I'm guessing it wouldn't be cheap, it would give Liverpool Airport direct rail services to the City Centre, Warrington, Manchester Airport & City plus the rest of the north, possibly even routing the London and/or Birmingham trains via it as well. Could also be sold as 'levelling up' Warrington even further by giving them direct links to both Airports, although I'd guess it wouldn't hit the aimed for 25-30min Liv - Manc journey time
A few minutes lost, probably end up with something like 29 minutes end to end or something.
I think the bigger problem is that it forces the line to route through a bunch of highly urbanised terrain west of Widnes and Runcorn.

Last edited:

gc4946

The big difference with the mayors' scheme compared with previous initiatives is an underground terminus at Manchester Piccadilly.
Ideally Manchester Piccadilly deep level station should be on a SW-NE axis allowing a tunnelled extension exiting somewhere in north Manchester that aligns with a high speed route to/from Yorkshire, without reversing, compared to original HS2 plans, and the line designed to be compatible with HS2 if ever built.

fishwomp

It's only 31.5 track miles. The aspiration should be to do that journey in less than 20 minutes. (1m to accelerate to 100mph at 1m/s2; 18mins to cover 30 miles at 100mph; 1m to decelerate to a stop at 1m/s2.)
But what would you want people to do with that extra ten minutes they get from the faster journey? Is there anything game or life-changing?

For a typical user, they probably spend 30 minutes at one or the other end getting to the place they actually want to go to - whether that's on foot, bus, car, or other rail connection - so that 10 minutes is probably really small relative to other parts of the journey. It won't change anyone's life.

On the other hand, if you reopen a line (or tram..) to some of the denser suburbs of either city that don't have good scalable transport or have completely snarled up roads (Warrington) you might actually do something game-changing - like increase employment opportunities in run-down communities.

childwallblues

Established Member
ON Chat Moss Tpe 802s do Lime Street to Victoria on an average of 35 minutes with two stops. I would imagine that tob 99% of the passengers that ia a done deal. Pop into Greggs for their breakfast deal before on to the Metrolink or walking to their destination.
Having to find your way out of an underground station beneath Piccadilly surrounded by a bunch of foreign toutists is a no no for me.
People on this thread like to talk of extremes so lets go the whole hog and close the M602 and re-instate the four tracks from Patricroft to Ordsall Lane and re-open Exchange Station. Then Mr Burnham can re-open the line to his beloved Leigh.

Tremzinho

But what would you want people to do with that extra ten minutes they get from the faster journey? Is there anything game or life-changing?

For a typical user, they probably spend 30 minutes at one or the other end getting to the place they actually want to go to - whether that's on foot, bus, car, or other rail connection - so that 10 minutes is probably really small relative to other parts of the journey. It won't change anyone's life.

On the other hand, if you reopen a line (or tram..) to some of the denser suburbs of either city that don't have good scalable transport or have completely snarled up roads (Warrington) you might actually do something game-changing - like increase employment opportunities in run-down communities.
I know quite a few people in Liverpool who work in Manchester. Many of them commute from local stations on the CLC or Chat Moss lines and would be unlikely to travel back to Liverpool City Centre to use this new route.

Most are commuting to areas far away from Piccadilly, whether that’s Media City, the Oxford Road area or near to Victoria. Using this new line would increase their journey times even for those who currently start their journeys from Lime Street.

Obviously all of this is anecdotal, but over the years Manchester’s centre of gravity has been shifting away from Piccadilly. I suspect many commuters will be in the same position, and I wonder what mapping has been done of the end destination of Liverpool to Manchester commuters.

Of course perhaps they will be be forced onto the new line by the failure to invest in the existing services on the Chat Moss & CLC routes, and replacing the current express services with more stopping trains. But they will resent the extended travel times and less convenient journeys, with many regarding this line as a white elephant.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The big difference with the mayors' scheme compared with previous initiatives is an underground terminus at Manchester Piccadilly.
Ideally Manchester Piccadilly deep level station should be on a SW-NE axis allowing a tunnelled extension exiting somewhere in north Manchester that aligns with a high speed route to/from Yorkshire, without reversing, compared to original HS2 plans, and the line designed to be compatible with HS2 if ever built.
Would such a tunnelled route into north Manchester take you into the area of the coalfield with unstable strata?

Topological

Would such a tunnelled route into north Manchester take you into the area of the coalfield with unstable strata?
Venturing slightly off-topic, but one was nominally set out between Ashburys and Standedge in the NPR planning. The documentation is out there.

I suspect that the plan to have a different station at Piccadilly than HS2 planned will mean small variation of the Western portal of the tunnel to Standedge will be needed.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Venturing slightly off-topic, but one was nominally set out between Ashburys and Standedge in the NPR planning. The documentation is out there.

I suspect that the plan to have a different station at Piccadilly than HS2 planned will mean small variation of the Western portal of the tunnel to Standedge will be needed.
Remember that such an Ashburys to Standedge route goes through east Manchester, not north Manchester, which is the reason why I made my posting response.

Grimsby town

I know quite a few people in Liverpool who work in Manchester. Many of them commute from local stations on the CLC or Chat Moss lines and would be unlikely to travel back to Liverpool City Centre to use this new route.

Most are commuting to areas far away from Piccadilly, whether that’s Media City, the Oxford Road area or near to Victoria. Using this new line would increase their journey times even for those who currently start their journeys from Lime Street.

Obviously all of this is anecdotal, but over the years Manchester’s centre of gravity has been shifting away from Piccadilly. I suspect many commuters will be in the same position, and I wonder what mapping has been done of the end destination of Liverpool to Manchester commuters.

Of course perhaps they will be be forced onto the new line by the failure to invest in the existing services on the Chat Moss & CLC routes, and replacing the current express services with more stopping trains. But they will resent the extended travel times and less convenient journeys, with many regarding this line as a white elephant.
But the whole point of NPR is to facilitate more local stopping services on Chat Moss and CLC. Its very likely that the CLC would become a turn up and go all stops service. That wouldn't need much, if any investment to achieve. The odd additional stop might makes sense and cater better for those commuter trips e.g. a station at Old Trafford, Pomona or Cornbrook, but that's a pretty small investment.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
The current development in Manchester City Centre has been very focussed towards the Victoria axis, it is true. But those areas are now essentially tapped out.
The only areas that are available for the ongoing redevelopment programme are back towards Piccadilly.

We would expect the centre of the city centre to shift back southeast again.
Regardless, Piccadilly remains the station with the most other available transport options.
The services on the existing line have to be removed to allow improvements on the local services on the routes in question.
They might be inconvenienced by a handful of minutes (although I expect that would be swamped by the convenience boost from vastly improved frequencies), but the people of the intermediate stations would see epochal service improvements.

A new line opens the door to Merseyrail level stopping frequencies on both the CLC and Chat Moss.
Even if a few people in Birchwood or wherever are inconvenienced, they would be swamped by vastly increased custom from the improved frequencies.

frodshamfella

Established Member
The Metro Mayor is consulting now for a site of a Parkway Station in the areas of Knowsley and Halton. I imagine this would be in the area of the old Station at Ditton or off the Knowsley Expressway. This would make the plan more attractive, many people don't live in the city centre so boarding at Lime Street is going back on yourself. This could also provide a good facility for people transferring to Liverpool Airport.

Mgameing123

10 minutes is a lot of time. That’s just enough time to turn a tight connection into a well timed connection. Also we gotta stay competitive to get people off the roads.

stephen rp

Electrifying the CLC might get you one extra path, maybe two, but that is about it.

There would be no point in speed upgrades for the same reason the Chat Moss has reached the end of the line.
Faster fast trains just hit the stoppers faster and gain nothing.

The line has too many stations with platforms on the running lines. It can never be a high capacity, high capability railway.
Faster slow trains would do the trick. And turn the siding at WAC into an eastbound loop.

One extra path is an instant 25% increase in capacity. No point though if at the Manchester end they'd rather give paths to TfGM locals.

No, this is now a barmpot thread.

That would be Halebank in Widnes, not Hale Barns in Altrincham.

You mean Burnham didn't get £4bn extra for an underground station with HS2b but thinks it's worth it now it's just a glorified commuter route.

HS2 crossed the Pendleton Fault, but they reckon modern tunnelling can cope with the occasional earthquake as the ground shifts.

Out where? NPR routes seem very "nominal".

The Metro Mayor is consulting now for a site of a Parkway Station in the areas of Knowsley and Halton. I imagine this would be in the area of the old Station at Ditton or off the Knowsley Expressway. This would make the plan more attractive, many people don't live in the city centre so boarding at Lime Street is going back on yourself. This could also provide a good facility for people transferring to Liverpool Airport.
Well, if Burnham can add an underground station, the least Rotheram can add is another station to make the new line even slower than Chat Moss.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Also we gotta stay competitive to get people off the roads.
I do wonder if such a "people off the roads" aspiration was put forward to the populations of the conurbations of both Merseyside and Greater Manchester with all the pros and cons truthfully incorporated and not just the points of one view only. what the percentages might reveal.

As someone mentioned on another website few years ago, Liverpool has fought hard to retain its vehicle plants in its area.

HS2 crossed the Pendleton Fault, but they reckon modern tunnelling can cope with the occasional earthquake as the ground shifts.
I was not aware that HS2 already had construction works already as far north of the Pendleton fault. Being the age of 79, my memory is not as good as it once was.

Last edited:

Nottingham59

Established Member
I was not aware that HS2 already had construction works already as far north of the Pendleton fault. Being the age of 79, my memory is not as good as it once was.
The proposed tunnel from Airport to Piccadilly crosses the Pendleton Fault, which runs from Bolton to Poynton

Tremzinho

A new line opens the door to Merseyrail level stopping frequencies on both the CLC and Chat Moss.
That’s all well and good if we can have our cake and eat it, but I suspect the business case for the NPR will be based on forcing people onto the new route. Providing attractive alternatives on the existing lines will just hurt the BCR for the whole scheme.

Who is going to pay for electrifying the CLC and subsidise an enhanced stopping service on both CLC & Chat Moss lines, particularly when all of the region’s funding is being swallowed up by this NPR route?

Will there even be line capacity between Lime St and Allerton Junction for better local services when NPR is competing for the Space?

It has been made clear that the Wapping Tunnel isn’t part of these plans, so none of the City Line services are moving to Merseyrail. This means that Lime Street will remain at full capacity and will struggle to cope with any extra local services.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Faster slow trains would do the trick. And turn the siding at WAC into an eastbound loop.

One extra path is an instant 25% increase in capacity. No point though if at the Manchester end they'd rather give paths to TfGM locals.
What's wrong with TfGM locals?
And even with no other upgrades, electrification of the non-electrified portion fo the CLC isn't going to come in under ~£300m. It's about 80 track kilometres.

Add upgrades and the price rapidly rockets upwards for not much at all.

That’s all well and good if we can have our cake and eat it, but I suspect the business case for the NPR will be based on forcing people onto the new route. Providing attractive alternatives on the existing lines will just hurt the BCR for the whole scheme.
Attractive service to the likes of Irlam et al is hardly going to be attractive to passengers travelling from Liverpool or Warrington to manchester is it?
Or do you think people would prefer to spend ages on a stopping train rather than travel on a railway not built in the Victorian era?

Who is going to pay for electrifying the CLC and subsidise an enhanced stopping service on both CLC & Chat Moss lines, particularly when all of the region’s funding is being swallowed up by this NPR route?
Would electrification of the CLC actually be necessary?
Assuming you don't go for the conversion of Warrington to Manchester to Metrolink, is there any real need to do so?

Last edited: