• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Mayor, New Supertram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nean

Hopefully... though at the moment I'd just be happy to see routes go up in frequency past 6PM and a PIS that actually displays correct information!

Arkeeos

What route would potential extensions take, there doesn’t seem to be any obvious route that wouldn’t lead to a major street running.

ricoblade

What route would potential extensions take, there doesn’t seem to be any obvious route that wouldn’t lead to a major street running.

Without resorting to crayons and knowing of certain obstacles, I think the assumption is that the Sheaf Valley route would use as much of the railway land as possible to avoid street running.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Much of the system already uses street-running, so adding more isn't the problem some imagine it to be.

I'm getting tired of saying it, but street-running trams work fine in many cities across Europe but apparently us Brits can't handle signal priorities to make it work.

D365

Veteran Member
Without resorting to crayons and knowing of certain obstacles, I think the assumption is that the Sheaf Valley route would use as much of the railway land as possible to avoid street running.
At the risk of derailing this thread towards the Speculative subforum… four-tracking Midland to Dore remains my dream.

Nean

Much of the system already uses street-running, so adding more isn't the problem some imagine it to be.

I'm getting tired of saying it, but street-running trams work fine in many cities across Europe but apparently us Brits can't handle signal priorities to make it work.

And if they used green track instead of just continuing tarmac for the joining/leaving street sections like quite a few systems have, it would probably discourage the perennial problem of someone not paying attention and getting stuck! (There are definitely a few bits of the blue route that the road markings could do with a repaint out towards Crystal Peaks). Not to mention keeping inline with the current city tourism marketing as "the green city" and the Castlegate "Grey to Green" scheme.

Another thing I'd quite like to see is replacing the current shelters if they're doing an order for a new route- they're getting quite tired and dilapidated (not to mention Stagecoach/SYPTE's reticence to keep the boards up to date)... I was toying with the idea that something out of weathering steel would look quite good, age well, and pay homage to the industrial heritage of the city. Oh, and more benches would be good- the fact that there's barely any on a large part of the system with current tram frequencies of half an hour (or longer as I discovered the other night) isn't really good when quite a lot of the patronage is elderly!

Status
Not open for further replies.