• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newcastle - York 27/08

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue sabre

Looking at fares between Newcastle and York for Monday coming, 4 of us (3 adults 1 child)travelling with a family and friends railcard (thanks to earlier thread.) I have managed to get a total price of £52.60 or so by splitting at Northallerton, I need a degree of flexibility as my daughter tends to dictate our plans at the moment.
Any suggestions for other splits/anomalies that could reduce the price any further?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, you could "split" at Hartlepool instead, that will reduce the price further by around £8. (As I am sure you're aware, the train would need to call at Hartlepool, and you could take the Metro or Northern to Sunderland and take GC from there, or change at Thornaby/Middlesbrough)

As for anomalies, not really, though about 5 years ago you could have got a Newcastle - Carlisle and finished "short" at York as this used to be a permitted route. It ceased to be a permitted route when the brother of a forum member was challenged on this ticket and incorrectly charged a new ticket by the guard, he then successfully appealed the cost of the new ticket, but the Routeing Guide was changed a few months later (though not with permission or knowledge of the DfT so it would appear to have been an illegal change, hmm!). However, we do not advertise that sort of anomaly, for fairly obvious reasons. It would unlikely to have been a stress-free journey. The problem with using anomalies is that you can encounter problems if it is not accepted/honoured, and they are subject to withdrawal if they are brought to the attention of the TOCs.

blue sabre

Yes, you could "split" at Hartlepool instead, that will reduce the price further by around £8. (As I am sure you're aware, the train would need to call at Hartlepool, and you could take the Metro or Northern to Sunderland and take GC from there, or change at Thornaby/Middlesbrough)

As for anomalies, not really, though about 5 years ago you could have got a Newcastle - Carlisle and finished "short" at York as this used to be a permitted route. It ceased to be a permitted route when the brother of a forum member was challenged on this ticket and incorrectly charged a new ticket by the guard, he then successfully appealed the cost of the new ticket, but the Routeing Guide was changed a few months later (though not with permission or knowledge of the DfT so it would appear to have been an illegal change, hmm!). However, we do not advertise that sort of anomaly, for fairly obvious reasons. It would unlikely to have been a stress-free journey. The problem with using anomalies is that you can encounter problems if it is not accepted/honoured, and they are subject to withdrawal if they are brought to the attention of the TOCs.

Cheers yorkie. I saw the grand central only fares but they don't really offer as much flexibility as I'd like, need to be have access to a greater range of trains as we are still getting to grips with travelling with a baby. Don't want to have to buy a new ticket because we missed our train giving our daughter a bottle!
I had a feeling if there were any anomalies they wouldn't be disclosed, but I guess there was no harm in asking!
Think I'll have to get myself a copy of the routing guide and learn how it all works - it onterest's my but I use the railways so little it's difficult to justify spending the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.