• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newly Qualified Driver Relocation

poohbear

Hi

I'm looking for some advice. I qualified as a driver in South London but have to now move out to the North West of England. Have been with the current company going on 3 years now, inclusive of training and qualifying.
Does anyone know if there is a minimum number of years requirement for qualified drivers when applying to other companies?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richfoz84

There’s no minimum. Once you’re qualified, you are free to move about if you so wish to.

PudseyBearHST

No but you’ll struggle to move. I‘m not even sure if Northern would consider you but there’s no harm in trying. By newly qualified, there’s a big difference if you qualified last week or qualified 12 months ago.

DMckduck97

As echoed above, moving about as qualified since the pandemic has become a lot more difficult, no harm in trying.

Incidents are usually a stumbling block, not that I'm implying you've had any.

InkyScrolls

I'd say go for it - even a speculative application is better than nothing, and Northern are very short of drivers at the moment. Whereabouts is the northwest are you looking (roughly, of course)?

12LDA28C

Established Member
Hi

I'm looking for some advice. I qualified as a driver in South London but have to now move out to the North West of England. Have been with the current company going on 3 years now, inclusive of training and qualifying.
Does anyone know if there is a minimum number of years requirement for qualified drivers when applying to other companies?

More pertinent than your entire length of employment with your current employer is how long you have been a fully qualified driver.

scouseyb123

Not usually, unless the TOC you want to go for says you need x number of years after qualifying. I qualified and move TOCs within the first two years.

poohbear

I'd say go for it - even a speculative application is better than nothing, and Northern are very short of drivers at the moment. Whereabouts is the northwest are you looking (roughly, of course)?
Liverpool, Blackpool or Manchester would be ideal.

Not usually, unless the TOC you want to go for says you need x number of years after qualifying. I qualified and move TOCs within the first two years.
More pertinent than your entire length of employment with your current employer is how long you have been a fully qualified driver.
I'm a year & a half in at the moment

No but you’ll struggle to move. I‘m not even sure if Northern would consider you but there’s no harm in trying. By newly qualified, there’s a big difference if you qualified last week or qualified 12 months ago.
Over 12 months now

As echoed above, moving about as qualified since the pandemic has become a lot more difficult, no harm in trying.

Incidents are usually a stumbling block, not that I'm implying you've had any.
Do you know why the pandemic has made moving an issue?

Last edited:

PudseyBearHST

Liverpool, Blackpool or Manchester would be ideal.

I'm a year & a half in at the moment

Over 12 months now

Do you know why the pandemic has made moving an issue?
You’re not newly qualified at all, you have a good chance at all companies to be honest Northern, TPE and Avanti WC so good luck.

SouthernStar

You could try sending a speculative email to some of the freight operators, I’m sure many of them will have depots or want people based in the north west.

1867Blue

Hi mate.

I recently moved to TPE as a qualified driver whilst being in my PQA period. Qualified for 12 months when I applied.

Clean record.

poohbear

Hi mate.

I recently moved to TPE as a qualified driver whilst being in my PQA period. Qualified for 12 months when I applied.

Clean record.
That's promising. Was this on your first attempt or did it take you a while?
Will keep an eye out for roles going forward

poohbear

Ok. Thanks all.
Will be sending out some applications when anything suitable comes up in the next recruitment drive

1867Blue

That's promising. Was this on your first attempt or did it take you a while?
Will keep an eye out for roles going forward
Yes first time applying. I also applied to cross country. My application is still showing as pending there, but I won’t be taking it now.

Happy to answer any questions where I can. Drop me a DM if you want.

anglian96

Hi

From experience most companies when moving like minimum 3 years mainline driving but some are known to like 5 but I'm sure there's also some out there that would take you with less than that. Good luck

Train_manager

From experience most companies when moving like minimum 3 years mainline driving but some are known to like 5 but I'm sure there's also some out there that would take you with less than that. Good luck
Was 3 years for cross-country. But now only 18 months. States it in the ad normally.

Juliet Barvo

Hi

There are drivers out there who have changed company two or three times in that amount of time

martin2345uk

Established Member
Yeah apply anyway - I didn't quite meet the requirements for my current TOC when I applied but I still made it through; you have nothing to lose!

Established Member
Apply anyway and explain yourself - the worst they will do is say no and the best they can do is say come for an interview anyway.

1867Blue

It’s back to 3years. I wanted to apply for cross country but because they’ve put it back to 3 years I’ve not applied for it
When did they change this, my application with them said 18 months which I fell slightly short of, would be 18 months now. My application is still showing pending though.