• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

North Wales morning trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Afternoon,

I'm away in Llandudno at the moment and wanted a little journey along the North Wales coastline.

I was considering getting the 12 bus from Llandudno to Rhyl tomorrow morning, and then return on the train from Rhyl to Bangor, and then Bangor to Llandudno.

Is east or west of Llandudno Junction generally better for views along the coast by train? If so, I won't bother going westwards onto Bangor but it's just because I drove along the A55 from Conwy yesterday towards Llandudno and it did look pretty. Otherwise I'll just stick with Rhyl to Llandudno Junction and then up to Llandudno.

Many thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NottsPhil

I'd say west of the Junction is better - through the tubular bridge to Conwy, in the shadow of Conwy Castle and then you're right on the coast most of the way to Bangor.

backontrack

Established Member
Afternoon,

I'm away in Llandudno at the moment and wanted a little journey along the North Wales coastline.

I was considering getting the 12 bus from Llandudno to Rhyl tomorrow morning, and then return on the train from Rhyl to Bangor, and then Bangor to Llandudno.

Is east or west of Llandudno Junction generally better for views along the coast by train? If so, I won't bother going westwards onto Bangor but it's just because I drove along the A55 from Conwy yesterday towards Llandudno and it did look pretty. Otherwise I'll just stick with Rhyl to Llandudno Junction and then up to Llandudno.

Many thanks in advance!

The railway is best between Llandudno Junction and Llanfairfechan, and there are nice views inland through the Sychnant Pass as well as the coastline - but between Llanfairfechan and Bangor it's not very interesting. You can combine the Arriva route 5 bus service with one of the request stops at Llanfairfechan if you're careful with timing.

[YOUTUBE]sC8Bz4miV5I[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Thank you both - I'll do that then!

I won't have time to go all the way to Holyhead, which is a blessing as I've heard it's a dump! :lol: no the train does sound nice, if I time it right I might even catch a Virgin Voyager along the coast!

ValleyLines142

Established Member
For those of you who are interested, I caught the 12 from Llandudno (York Place) to Rhyl, courtesy of Enviro 400 4544. I then caught the 1336 train from Rhyl to Llandudno Junction, which was 175115, and then the 1402 to Llandudno, which was 175112.

Wanted to quickly hop into Rhyl station for the 1137 Voyager to Holyhead, but my parents came along and wanted to stay in Rhyl a tad longer! Would have been nice to have had the Voyager, as 175s are my usual units down here, but not to worry!

Also, is it me or has Rhyl become an absolute dump all of a sudden? The high street looks very bleak (I know its Sunday but still), the White Rose shopping centre looks incredibly dated and seems to be emptying about by the second, and the seafront looks drab and sad. A shocking contrast to Llandudno, a mere twelve miles west, which still maintains its Victorian heritage and glory.

Such a shame Rhyl has ended up as it has. No exaggeration when I say this but I genuinely think the bus station is the only decent landmark in the town!

gazthomas

Established Member
I glad you had a nice trip.

Your assessment of Rhyl is absolutely accurate. I was brought up just outside Conwy and Llandudno and Rhyl was always seen as rough place, especially from the mid 1980's. Marks & Spencer moving to Prestatyn illustrates the problem with shopping there and the council have destroyed the sea-front. As you would imagine Rhyl has a significant crime and drug problem these days.

plannerman

Also, is it me or has Rhyl become an absolute dump all of a sudden? The high street looks very bleak (I know its Sunday but still), the White Rose shopping centre looks incredibly dated and seems to be emptying about by the second, and the seafront looks drab and sad. A shocking contrast to Llandudno, a mere twelve miles west, which still maintains its Victorian heritage and glory.

Such a shame Rhyl has ended up as it has. No exaggeration when I say this but I genuinely think the bus station is the only decent landmark in the town!

I used to visit Rhyl regularly in the early 80's with my grandad, who took me on the bus from his home in Denbigh. Seeing the place now breaks my heart. I'm not sure it's all the council's fault, most of the problem is simply social change - the death of the British seaside holiday, legions of empty B&B's needing income so going down the bedsit route and the whole place fell into a spiral. The further it falls, the less people want to invest there and so the downwards trend continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.