• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Medical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I was just wondering how soon after having the medical do you find out... As I have it on the 18th and start on the 30th.. Need to give my notice in on the 23rd you see

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

horhayefc

I had the same issue last month! - The nurse was able to tell me that I had passed the tests whilst at the medical itself, then I had to wait a further 48hours to confirm there were no issues with my sample!

bonelorry

I basically got told that if I heard nothing to treat it as good news, They would contact me if I had failed.

Best advice I can give you is to contact Northern HR and ask them, I did and they confirmed I had passed the Medical.

I basically got told that if I heard nothing to treat it as good news, They would contact me if I had failed.

Best advice I can give you is to contact Northern HR and ask them, I did and they confirmed I had passed the Medical.

Brilliant. I'll do that on the Friday then. Do you know what the hearing test consists of? As I found an old document issued in 1993 and withdrawn in 1999 and it said the hearing test is a full audiometric assessment and the hearing loss must not exceed, in either ear:-20dB averaged over frequencies of 0.5, 1 and 2kHz..

Is this still the case or has it changed now?

bonelorry

Brilliant. I'll do that on the Friday then. Do you know what the hearing test consists of? As I found an old document issued in 1993 and withdrawn in 1999 and it said the hearing test is a full audiometric assessment and the hearing loss must not exceed, in either ear:-20dB averaged over frequencies of 0.5, 1 and 2kHz..

Is this still the case or has it changed now?

You just sit in a sound proof booth, Headphones on and a clicker in your hand.

A series of beeps or tones play in each ear and you press the clicker each time you hear it. The tones are all of a different tone, Some low and some high.

Thats it.

You just sit in a sound proof booth, Headphones on and a clicker in your hand.

A series of beeps or tones play in each ear and you press the clicker each time you hear it. The tones are all of a different tone, Some low and some high.

Thats it.

Any idea how to do the best in it. I've read that syringing your ears can help u hear better and wearing cotton wool before going in to block out unnecessary noise can help....

Am by far death, just dead paranoid about my hearing for some reason lol

bonelorry

Any idea how to do the best in it. I've read that syringing your ears can help u hear better and wearing cotton wool before going in to block out unnecessary noise can help....

Am by far death, just dead paranoid about my hearing for some reason lol

I just turned up and did it, Never did anything with my ears beforehand.

Go and get your ears tested if you are concerned at an independent :)

Shrimper

If you are concerned, it might be worth using something like Otex Express on your ears to ensure they are clean - I nearly failed a medical for a previous job on the hearing section; however when the examiner looked in my ears it was obvious why and the doctor was happy to sign me off. For whatever reason I've always had an issue with wax build up, and you don't notice any difference on a day to day basis.

kaine19

I've always been concerned with my ears. Even had trouble as a kid. Did mine today and passed. My left ear towards the end dropped off but they don't score you on that tone. Nurse will explain.

I've always been concerned with my ears. Even had trouble as a kid. Did mine today and passed. My left ear towards the end dropped off but they don't score you on that tone. Nurse will explain.

Well done :) I've got a hearing test in boots in a bit and getting my ears syringed on Wednesday, just to be fully prepared

Thanks. Manchester piccadilly according to the docs forms ha

Ahh cool. I coulda had last Tuesday in London or the only other one they had was the 18th may. Glad I got that one as went for a hearing test n he said my ears are totes blocked, so ordered some stuff online and got a docs appointment to get them syringed this weds... What's your start date?

Cool least your taken action now and not just waiting until medical day. 16th may it is

Ahh cool, I've just got all my contract and stuff in the post today. Am bit confused Thomas had 2 contracts which is fine, but they said I had to sign and send back the annex? Which I don't think I received.. All in received is a load of forms to fill out and a leaflet on the drug and alcohol policy.... Did u get a welcome booklet in it or summin as well? As if it was a welcome pack it wasn't very welcoming haha

Si_leeds

Ahh cool, I've just got all my contract and stuff in the post today. Am bit confused Thomas had 2 contracts which is fine, but they said I had to sign and send back the annex? Which I don't think I received.. All in received is a load of forms to fill out and a leaflet on the drug and alcohol policy.... Did u get a welcome booklet in it or summin as well? As if it was a welcome pack it wasn't very welcoming haha

The annex bit confused me too so I emailed hr and was told it's something your manager goes through in your induction and you sign it then. The letters very misleading though.

Hey does anyone know what the pass requirement is for the hearing test? As flushed my ear out n it's a bit blocked, but docs should fix that on Wednesday

Si_leeds

Which depot are you going to be based mate? As far as I'm aware they're only really bothered about the first 3 beeps in the test I think I heard on here

Which depot are you going to be based mate? As far as I'm aware they're only really bothered about the first 3 beeps in the test I think I heard on here

Manchester - either Picadilly or Victoria, they said we'll be sent wherever the staff are needed. Hope it's Victoria though as I can see all my old work mates as I used to work in the call centre upstairs :P

Turned out my hearing was better there than it was in Boots lol. Yeah that's what I heard, but think there was around 6 or 7 different tones in total. She (the nurse) didn't really let me look at my sheet until I asked

Last edited:

delticdeano74

Manchester - either Picadilly or Victoria, they said we'll be sent wherever the staff are needed. Hope it's Victoria though as I can see all my old work mates as I used to work in the call centre upstairs :P

Turned out my hearing was better there than it was in Boots lol. Yeah that's what I heard, but think there was around 6 or 7 different tones in total. She (the nurse) didn't really let me look at my sheet until I asked[/QUOTE

Probably because the nurse didn't want you to buy any treatments like Boots did!

Turned out my hearing was better there than it was in Boots lol. Yeah that's what I heard, but think there was around 6 or 7 different tones in total. She (the nurse) didn't really let me look at my sheet until I asked[/QUOTE

Probably because the nurse didn't want you to buy any treatments like Boots did!

Lol I brought all the stuff before I had the boots one lol

Status
Not open for further replies.